PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft prepares to auto-deliver Windows Search 4.0 to Vista users

zatoicchi
22.07.08, 03:05
f you notice your hard drive crunching later this month while performing a menial task, fear not: it's just the new Windows Search software creating an index of your files. Microsoft plans to automatically deliver version 4.0 of the software, formerly Windows Desktop Search, to Vista users.

Windows Search 4.0 was released in June and Microsoft says it has "seen a good number of downloads, and a number of positive responses from customers." The advantage over Vista's built-in search function is one of performance, the company claims. The structure of the search index was completely redesigned to speed up locating items on the hard drive and networked PCs.

But not all changes will happen behind the scenes. Version 4.0 will place a new "Deskbar" next to Vista's system tray that makes it possible to perform searches directly from the Windows Taskbar. A pop-up lets users select whether to search locally or on the Web, and choose filtering options.

In BetaNews tests of Windows Search 4.0, we found the software doesn't try to replace the default search engine selected by the user, a good move considering it may soon be on over 100 million PCs. Microsoft has also attempted to make the transition fairly painless, promising, "the indexing process doesn't take too long and won't lock your PC."

Microsoft prepares to auto-deliver Windows Search 4.0 to Vista users (http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_prepares_to_autodeliver_Windows_Search_4 0_to_Vista_users/1216686151)

anon
22.07.08, 17:42
damn, windows search has changed a lot since win95...

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/system/features/search/win95-1-1.png

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 04:54
damn, windows search has changed a lot since win95...

at least it's good changes ..and its called progress

anon
23.07.08, 20:27
well i agree with that :wink: just compare it with this:

http://images.betanews.com/media/1654.jpg

make me use Windows 9x's search and i'm lost hehe :smile:

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:35
damn,I hated that Windows Search engine alot,got it @ my office & it sux big time,very slow in terms of finding certain files especially unfamiliar file types (such as games/system files with weird formats)

anon
26.07.08, 19:05
damn,I hated that Windows Search engine alot,got it @ my office & it sux big time

can't go back to normal search? :frown: Or install google desktop search :tongue:

Aurion
28.07.08, 20:35
yeah its a valid option but actually im a bit old fashion guy who love stock search engines :tongue: (normal xp search engine)

anon
28.07.08, 20:38
(normal xp search engine)

Classic Windows 2000 search ftw! :top: (using "Use Search Asst"="no" trick :tongue:)

Aurion
28.07.08, 20:41
LOL yeah its actually the easiest search engine ever,the nice thing is that when u forget about some file extentions you just type the .file_type then BINGO !! :tongue:

anon
28.07.08, 20:48
you just type the .file_type then BINGO !! :tongue:

I type *.ext, so that it won't find things like "this is the latest .ext.rar" :biggrin:

Aurion
28.07.08, 20:56
I type *.ext, so that it won't find things like "this is the latest .ext.rar" :biggrin:

yeah search terms are different tho but still its the best search engine ever made