PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth used to track people's movements

zatoicchi
22.07.08, 02:47
Bluetooth mobile phone technology is being used to monitor the movement of tens of thousands of people, without their consent.

A research project has installed Bluetooth scanners in offices, cafes, shops, and pubs to monitor how people move around cities. But the residents of Bath, who are at the centre of this research, are unaware that their mobile phones and laptops are communicating with the scanners.

The team behind the project, Cityware, stresses that the scanners are not able to personally identify individuals, but privacy groups have expressed concerns about the scheme. The Information Commissioners' Office, which deals with data protection and privacy legislation, said it was "monitoring" the experiment.
Eamonn O'Neill, the director of Cityware said: "The objective is not to track individuals, whether by Bluetooth or any other means. We are interested in the aggregate behaviour of city dwellers as a whole."

Bluetooth is a type of short-range wireless technology found on most modern mobile phones, as well as portable digital devices such as PDAs and laptop computers. It provides a simple way for different machines to connect with one another over a small area of just a few metres, usually to allow the transfer of files between devices.

Bluetooth used to track people's movements (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/07/21/dlblu121.xml)

anon
22.07.08, 18:13
:und_wech: glad i have BT always turned off in my RAZR ^^

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 04:48
Paranoia has now hit level 10 and still counting:mad2:

anon
23.07.08, 20:25
mmmm... you'll see someone will come up with how to discover, probe and disable those BT scanners, much like the famous "bluebug" attack :wink:

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 21:55
probe and disable those BT scanners

now that you mentioned it , there is actually a certaing type of device that you can purchase to descramble the signal:biggrin:

anon
23.07.08, 21:57
BTSPP DATA SNIFFER!

link please. i want to see :smile:

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 22:06
link please. i want to see

the device is listed in a electronic magazine . my first hobby..it's actually my major in studies
v=ir

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:33
LOL this is crazy,and wait a second ?? is the Bluetooth that accurate to viusally draw people steps/moves/actions so that people depend on it ??!! anyway,its a smart move of them since lots of people figured out that they had to recharge their cells every day because their BT was opened :biggrin:

anon
26.07.08, 19:01
lots of people figured out that they had to recharge their cells every day because their BT was opened :biggrin:

yep, bluetooth is a bit of a battery burden (try transferring a track from your comp to a mobile over BT :wink:)... but if you try to discover devices in a subway or building, the list will be several times the size of your phone's screen :biggrin: