PDA

View Full Version : New "telescopic pixel" displays could outperform LCD, plasma

zatoicchi
22.07.08, 02:42
http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/science.media/160/tv.jpeg

Liquid crystal displays (LCDs) have become the overwhelming choice for both desktop and mobile computing because they offer the best combination of image quality, price, and power efficiency of the current display technologies. But LCDs still have a lot of room for improvement, as they only transmit 5 to 10 percent of the total backlight to the user, and can account for up to 30 percent of the total power consumption of a laptop. In this week's Nature Photonics, researchers from Microsoft and the University of Washington report a new display technology called "telescopic pixel" that transmits 36 percent of backlight radiation.

New "telescopic pixel" displays could outperform LCD, plasma (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080720-new-telescopic-pixel-displays-could-outperform-lcd-plasma.html)

anon
22.07.08, 20:31
this may as well be the next level of computer display devices. we'll have to wait and see how much adoption it gains :top:

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 07:55
this may as well be the next level of computer display devices. we'll have to wait and see how much adoption it gains

and hopefully they will make affordable for us consumers:smile:

anon
23.07.08, 20:41
a very important point ;)

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 04:34
a very important point ;)

very true, although the techonology is there but expensive it's not worth the upgrade..rather wait for my LCD to die off

anon
24.07.08, 22:13
my LCD has a stuck green pixel in the top :frown: back then i didn't know i had to look at these kinds of details before buying one, but now i'm more experienced :smile:

supermarrioh
25.07.08, 02:37
Hm, i dont think this technologie will have a chance, Oleds are a much better way to save energy , also the problem of inhomogene backlight is solved.

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:51
LOL good to see new generations of screens are to come out soon !! LCD screens are very powerful visual outputs (IMO they are very harmful for eyes instead of the old boxes) that nearly used everywhere around the globe

anon
26.07.08, 20:03
LCD screens are very powerful visual outputs (IMO they are very harmful for eyes instead of the old boxes)

????

set brightness to low and my LCD screen doesn't tire my eyes as much as my old CRT monitor did :wink:

Aurion
28.07.08, 13:30
yeah im sorry,I mean the old screens (CRTs) not LCDs since LCD are proved to be harmless (sort of) for users eyes

anon
28.07.08, 17:59
It's OK ^^ And yes, looking at a well-setup LCD screen feels almost like paper :biggrin:

Aurion
29.07.08, 13:13
yeah & maybe smoother than a pure crystal glass :wink:

anon
29.07.08, 18:24
smoother than a pure crystal glass :wink:

with a 70+Hz refresh rate :biggrin: 60 hz is like looking at a strobe light, you can see the screen flicker :pukey:

Aurion
31.07.08, 23:26
yeah but u wont be able to run it @ 70 Mhz unless ur electricity supplies that (u know those Mhz thing got something to do with Electricity bla bla )

anon
31.07.08, 23:31
yeah but u wont be able to run it @ 70 Mhz

Maybe you mean 70 Hz ^^ 70 megahertz would probably make my monitor explode :biggrin:

Aurion
31.07.08, 23:41
lol did I say mhz ? oops,sorry :biggrin::tongue: yeah sure mini-hz would melt down any monitor :tongue: