PDA

View Full Version : Wozniak beats Bartoli to win first title

zatoicchi
21.07.08, 12:05
STANFORD, Calif. (AP)—Aleksandra Wozniak had to survive through eight matches in nine days to win her first WTA Tour singles title. Somehow by the end of the week the qualifier was still playing at her best and it was her opponents who had worn down.

Wozniak became the first Canadian to win a WTA Tour singles title in 20 years, taking an advantage of an injury to Marion Bartoli to win the Bank of the West Classic 7-5, 6-3 on Sunday.

Wozniak won the semifinal when top-seeded Serena Williams pulled out with a knee injury in the second set. Then Bartoli was slowed in the final by a sore left hip that left her limping badly late in the match.

“I don’t know what’s happening,” Wozniak said. “I guess I make them run too much or something. Yesterday (Serena) pulled out and today she got hurt, Marion. I don’t know. I just keep playing aggressive and doing what I needed to do to win.”

Wozniak, 20, needed to win three matches in qualifying—including a three-setter against Angela Haynes in the first round just to make the main draw. She followed with five more wins to become the first Canadian since Jill Hetherington at Wellington in February 1988 to win a women’s singles title. Wozniak was only 5 months old at the time.

Wozniak beats Bartoli to win first title (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=ApXvDAGN9cX3FHn_95jQYtw4v7YF?slug=ap-stanford&prov=ap&type=lgns)