PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to the computer mouse

zatoicchi
17.07.08, 12:32
It's nearly 40 years old but one leading research company says the days of the computer mouse are numbered.

A Gartner analyst predicts the demise of the computer mouse in the next three to five years.

Taking over will be so called gestural computer mechanisms like touch screens and facial recognition devices.

"The mouse works fine in the desktop environment but for home entertainment or working on a notebook it's over," declared analyst Steve Prentice.

He told BBC News that his prediction is driven by the efforts of consumer electronics firm which are making products with new interactive interfaces inspired by the world of gaming .

BBC NEWS | Technology | Say goodbye to the computer mouse (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7508842.stm)

Manas
17.07.08, 16:01
Dunno if it will happen that soon. I for example love my mouse- handy, fast, accurate. So why would I want to use something else? :tongue:

Touchpads or touchscreens couldn't convince me yet... :rolleyes2:

anon
17.07.08, 17:35

exactly. never mind what they say, you should keep what you really want. if they say PC mice suck and that you should buy touch-whatever, but you feel 100x comfortable with your current pointing device, what to do? :wink:

and i'm not saying goodbye to my mouse, we shared a lot of good moments together

plentonimus
17.07.08, 20:07
I'm especially sceptical on the touchscreens... just imagine: You're about to watch a Movie just to realise that your screen is fully covered with smudges (all the HD advantages are gone).
'The century of polishing screens has just begun...' :biggrin::wink:

zatoicchi
17.07.08, 20:58
I for example love my mouse- handy

i for one feel the same way, i'm so spoiled using my mouse i cant never do without it..long live the mouse

Manas
17.07.08, 21:30
I'm especially sceptical on the touchscreens... just imagine: You're about to watch a Movie just to realise that your screen is fully covered with smudges (all the HD advantages are gone).
'The century of polishing screens has just begun...' :biggrin::wink:

Hehehe. Another good point :biggrin:
Thanks for the hint. I'll invest in cleaning tissue stocks in the future :klatsch_3:

Aurion
18.07.08, 04:17
Well,guys,for sure it wont be that easy for people to accept a new Idea,but u know for example when we first knew about cell phones (i know im getting back at time),people did not accept that idea at first since they did not realize walking in streets talking to a tiny piece of plastic as a phone (maybe some of u would say,yeah but it became useful back then when people got convinced with the whole thing),so same thing is happening here,maybe the normal evolution of technology is requiring more wide imagination ranges in terms of acquiring new races of daily techniques to ease like up !! IMO,it will be something acceptable for most of us since we just say "NO" first then go buy that new thing :tongue:

Dagon
18.07.08, 09:56
i would like to use a psycho helmet where we can give orders like open this program and write this letter or such like this.

i heard that the new windows should support touch displays, but dont think everybody will use it.

Mfg Dagon

Manas
18.07.08, 13:38
Well,guys,for sure it wont be that easy for people to accept a new Idea,but u know for example when we first knew about cell phones (i know im getting back at time),people did not accept that idea at first since they did not realize walking in streets talking to a tiny piece of plastic as a phone (maybe some of u would say,yeah but it became useful back then when people got convinced with the whole thing),so same thing is happening here,maybe the normal evolution of technology is requiring more wide imagination ranges in terms of acquiring new races of daily techniques to ease like up !! IMO,it will be something acceptable for most of us since we just say "NO" first then go buy that new thing :tongue:

You're absolutely right. Change will come- that's unavoidable. But it needs time. And I really don't think that in 3 years all people will have replaced their mouse with touchscreens...

On the other hand, the example you gave us varies in a very important point- cell phones didn't replace normal phones. It was just an extension.

But this thread is about touchscreens replacing mouses....

anon
18.07.08, 21:00
You're absolutely right. Change will come- that's unavoidable. But it needs time. And I really don't think that in 3 years all people will have replaced their mouse with touchscreens...

hehe yes, i'm very sure they won't have done so, not even if someone comes up with an screen that doesn't get smudged or scratched after use. remember that keyboard that would still work no matter what liquids you spilled on it, or the monitor that also worked as a speaker itself (sound actually came out of its screen)? well, you don't see many of those now, maybe the "monitor-speaker" just didn't stick around because people preferred to use normal speakers, and the keyboard..... i'm sure because it was too expensive :tongue: it's like people that will still play those old vinyl discs because they affirm that the sound's better and more vibrant that in a CD. some inventions are instant hits and some others take a loooong time to be of wide usage, if at all.

let's see which one of those touchscreens will become.

btw, maybe in a few years people will look at you weird if you use speakers because everyone will have the monitor-thing! xD

don't get me wrong, i fully agree with your statement about how unavoidable change and innovation are. :top: just posting my personal thoughts about it; now you can know what kind of crazy ideas i have when bored :biggrin:

Manas
24.07.08, 11:18
hehe yes, i'm very sure they won't have done so, not even if someone comes up with an screen that doesn't get smudged or scratched after use. remember that keyboard that would still work no matter what liquids you spilled on it, or the monitor that also worked as a speaker itself (sound actually came out of its screen)? well, you don't see many of those now, maybe the "monitor-speaker" just didn't stick around because people preferred to use normal speakers, and the keyboard..... i'm sure because it was too expensive :tongue: it's like people that will still play those old vinyl discs because they affirm that the sound's better and more vibrant that in a CD. some inventions are instant hits and some others take a loooong time to be of wide usage, if at all.

let's see which one of those touchscreens will become.

btw, maybe in a few years people will look at you weird if you use speakers because everyone will have the monitor-thing! xD

don't get me wrong, i fully agree with your statement about how unavoidable change and innovation are. :top: just posting my personal thoughts about it; now you can know what kind of crazy ideas i have when bored :biggrin:

Hehehe.... They're not crazy at all :wink:
It was indeed a very good example.... Let's just wait. Maybe the speaker monitor thing is getting redeveloped and improved right now so that we will all have speakers in monitors in a few months :biggrin:

You see, I got a big fan of those speakers aswell :tongue:
Anyway, I totally agree with your general statement :top:

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:21
@Manas: well,you are kinda right dude,the time changes everything & every simple even that might have occured in a much better way !! Anyway,I guess those touchscreens thinggy will be as hard as when people first saw some one holding two woody sticks & trying to be a hawk or something :tongue: same thing will happen especially for uneducated folks who (some of them for sure) dont know a PC looks like so imagine asking them now for clicking on some visual buttons on a plasmatic screen (they will think u are making them as monkeys) so for sure this would take a longer time than any other invention (for certain types of people for sure)