PDA

View Full Version : Final RIAA/Jammie Thomas briefs in; new trial decision looms

zatoicchi
15.07.08, 04:09
The final briefs in the Jammie Thomas file-swapping case are in, and neither Thomas nor the RIAA are conceding an inch of ground. Both sides parse the requisite legal cases with a concern for text and context that would make a biblical scholar weep with joy, and both claim that the "great weight of authority" rests squarely on their own side of the scale. And that's before the gloves come off.
In a legal case that has already had its share of thongs, we've at long last come to the end of the briefs as well. After Thomas was found liable last year for more than $200,000 in statutory damages, she sought a new trial based on a jury instruction no. 15 and the issue of whether making a song "available" over a P2P network was a "distribution" that would violate copyright. The judge in the case said that it would, but has since reconsidered his position, and is considering Thomas' request for a new trial.

Final RIAA/Jammie Thomas briefs in; new trial decision looms (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080714-final-riaajammie-thomas-briefs-in-new-trial-decision-looms.html)

Aurion
15.07.08, 15:12
its for me as ground battle been fought by different political parties who think Internet usage is being freaking scarey in terms of piracy sharing LOL this makes me laugh as hell man,then why the damn did you allowed such technology for public interest at the first place ?? ----> Opposite Opinions :rolling_eyes:

anon
15.07.08, 20:03
----> Opposite Opinions :rolling_eyes:

before they are voted: "with me you'll be able to p2p 24/7 with no legal problems! :top::top:)
after they're voted: "FILESHARING SHOULD BE BANNEDEDD!! :mad2:"

Aurion
15.07.08, 21:51
and that my friend anon,what political teaches us day after day,never say something too emotional !! Customer are just stupid enough to buy empty bottles :tongue:

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 04:21
i dont why it went this far anyway the RIAA does not even have any evidence that he distributed material to an unauthorized agent. hope the RIAA loses at the retrial

anon
16.07.08, 16:45
hope the RIAA loses at the retrial

exactly. so that some of their "hard earned" (:icon_angry[1]:) money goes to someone that can make a good use of it

Aurion
16.07.08, 21:03
Well,I guess their aim wont be money in that case,they just make a fuzz out of nothing so people begin paying attention to their silly sh$t then money will follow easily just after they claim what they are after already !! :baeh:

anon
16.07.08, 21:05
money will follow easily just after they claim what they are after already !!

and start actively pursuing their goal........ again :shy:

zatoicchi
17.07.08, 03:25
and start actively pursuing their goal

to make everyone use p2p and bitorrents more..more leeching and seeding ,i say...:top::klatsch_3:

anon
17.07.08, 18:12
more leeching and seeding ,i say...:top::klatsch_3:

more packets starting with 13 42 69 74 54 6F 72 72 65 6E 74 20 70 72 6F 74 6F 63 6F 6C going round the 'net :D

Aurion
17.07.08, 18:22
lol u mean more "piracy sharing" as they mentioned that earlier