PDA

View Full Version : Klitschko stops Thompson in 11th round

zatoicchi
13.07.08, 04:35
BERLIN (AP)—Wladimir Klitschko knocked out former sparring partner Tony Thompson in the 11th round to successfully defend his heavyweight titles Saturday.

Klitschko (51-3, 45 knockouts) turned boos to cheers, sending the American to the canvas with a right hand 1:38 into the 11th. He redeemed himself after an ugly 10th in which he pushed Thompson to the canvas and fell on him.

Klitschko’s ninth straight win was tougher than expected, as he had to survive a second-round head-butt that left both fighters bleeding at the right eye.

“I’m still world champion, but it’s about three titles now— that means everybody that fights me is extra motivated,” said Klitschko, who holds the IBF and minor WBO and IBO titles. “I haven’t had a black eye for a long time, now I really look like a fighter.”

His corner stemmed the cut, but his face was marked by the fight. His left eye was swollen after Thompson caught him with several good shots, especially a fifth round right hook.

But Klitschko was ahead on the cards and caught Thompson in the sixth with two good rights to take control of the fight.

Klitschko stops Thompson in 11th round - Boxing (http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=Aq9TAgB4D1lwRQ_LpjxlPSeUxLYF?slug=ap-klitschko-thompson&prov=ap&type=lgns)

hitman
13.07.08, 11:15
it was a great fight with a Klitschko that had problems in the beginning but after round 3 it was only a matter of time. round 10 was funny