PDA

View Full Version : Seagate Boosts Hard Drive Storage Capacity To 1.5 TB

zatoicchi
11.07.08, 11:37
Scotts Valley (CA) - Seagate reclaims storage capacity leadership in the hard drive market with a 1.5 TB drive, which represents a stunning 50% improvement over the largest drives currently available on the market.

Just yesterday we reported about Hitachi GST’s new 3.5" drive, which features a substantial increase in storage density (320-375 GB per disk), but kept the maximum storage capacity at 1 TB: While the previous 1 TB drive used five disks to hit 1 TB (5 x 200 GB), the new model uses only three (3 x 333 GB) in an effort to reduce the power consumption of the device. Seagate, which has been trailing the rest of the hard drive industry in terms of storage capacity for more than two years, today said that it matches the storage density of Hitachi’s new 750 GB model (2 x 375 GB) and will offer a hard drive with four disks and a capacity of 1.5 TB (4 x 375 GB) beginning in August.

The 3.5" Barracuda 7200.11 drive is also offered in capacities of 1 TB, 750 GB, 640GB, 500 GB, 320 GB and 160 GB with cache options of 32 MB and 16 MB.

Seagate Boosts Hard Drive Storage Capacity To 1.5 TB (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Seagate-hard-drive-harddrive-terabyte,news-28703.html)

Aurion
11.07.08, 16:01
well this is great man,I guess WesternDigital,Hitachi,Sony ..etc will follow the lead in offering much larger capacity which will expand the offered products in the world wide market !! :top:

zatoicchi
14.07.08, 04:59
I wonder how many days will it take to run chkdsk /r on a 1.5TB drive?

anon
14.07.08, 15:51
to run chkdsk /r on a 1.5TB drive?

or a low-level disk format... :/ we could use speederxp to make things go a little faster :tongue:

no, really, you're right about the /R thing. we'd need to wait and see how that "problem" is solved, or maybe just wait several days for the surface check to finish...

Aurion
14.07.08, 21:01
or imagine how would it take to complete the first stage of your Anti-Virus scan process !! damn,losing data too would be a disaster since you would have to wait till a restoring tool get all ur missing data :tongue:

anon
14.07.08, 21:08
or imagine how would it take to complete the first stage of your Anti-Virus scan process !!

scanning.... *2 hours later* scanning.

or how much an uncompressed drive image would weight :tongue: nah, my guess is that someone will come up with a solution to shorten those extreme wait times

Aurion
14.07.08, 21:47
scanning.... *2 hours later* scanning.

or how much an uncompressed drive image would weight :tongue: nah, my guess is that someone will come up with a solution to shorten those extreme wait times

LOL IMO it can be done since its hardware related issue !! :tongue:

zatoicchi
15.07.08, 03:22
I would think the failure rates are probably the same as the smaller drives

Aurion
15.07.08, 14:44
I would think the failure rates are probably the same as the smaller drives

u dont know wither something will come up & hit the expectations or not,its just a matter of time till new technology takes place in the market

anon
15.07.08, 19:56
u dont know wither something will come up & hit the expectations or not

there are instant hits and painful failures :biggrin:

Aurion
15.07.08, 22:02
LOL market policy my friend,Big Fat A$$ decide who wins & who sucks

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 03:55
there are instant hits and painful failures

the risk is still increased as more data is susceptible to loss and failures

anon
16.07.08, 16:31
i meant failures regarding product design and customer adoption ^^

but you're right with that, big companies cannot risk losing their data to a bad HDD

Aurion
16.07.08, 20:04
....big companies cannot risk losing their data to a bad HDD

Right point anon,large firms just have to focus on customer oriented-products more than new dreams/imagination which might lead to a sick a$$ failure or fame bankruptcy

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 21:26
most likely if their system analyst guy was smart he would make back up system,there should always be a few extra 1.5Tb hard drive in their system for a back up files..imagine the loss if they dont have any..

Aurion
26.07.08, 15:11
...imagine the loss if they dont have any..

catastrophic I guess !! but dont worry those guys know how to run their business :biggrin: