PDA

View Full Version : [July,9] Symantec Warns of New Word Attack

Aurion
09.07.08, 17:41
Criminals have found a new way to attack PC users, taking advantage of what appears to be a new bug in Microsoft's Word software, according to Symantec.

Symantec warned of the attack Tuesday, saying on its Web site that it had seen attackers exploiting "what is possibly an undisclosed vulnerability affecting Microsoft Word."

The security vendor released few details of the attack, saying that it is still working with Microsoft to confirm its findings. "Initial analysis suggests that some Microsoft Office versions, even when fully patched, are affected by this exploit," Symantec said.

There have been a large number of bugs found in Microsoft's Office software, including Word, over the past few years. In order to exploit these flaws, attackers must typically trick the victim into opening a maliciously encoded Office document, which then allows them to install malicious software on the PC.

In this case, the malicious code is a Trojan horse program, called Backdoor.Darkmoon, which logs the victim's keystrokes in order to steal passwords.

Source :

PC World - Symantec Warns of New Word Attack (http://www.pcworld.com/article/148099/symantec_warns_of_new_word_attack.html)

Watch out people :confused2: I guess this is for REAL !!

anon
09.07.08, 18:19
and i was going to install office 2007... my guess is that i'll keep on doing my work with wordpad until this is fixed :tongue:

Aurion
09.07.08, 19:03
and i was going to install office 2007... my guess is that i'll keep on doing my work with wordpad until this is fixed :tongue:

LOL I installed it already after it got release for several times but dumped it for several times too since I didnt need it that much