PDA

View Full Version : Midori - Next operating system from Microsoft

BrianBosworth
02.07.08, 22:04
Windows 7 and Windows 7 Server are not the only operating systems under development at Microsoft.
In fact, the Redmond company is cooking a variety of projects involving Windows platforms for everything from mobile phones to embedded devices. And yet, at the same time, the Redmond company is hard at work hammering away at non-Windows operating systems. So far, Microsoft has already made available for download Singularity, but it seems that there is more to new system architecture and operating systems over at Microsoft than meets the eye. Case in point: Midori.
According to Mary Jo Foley, Midori is a project operating system intimately connected built under the lead of Eric Rudder, Senior Vice President, Technical Strategy. Rudder, in his turn, is under the responsibility of Craig Mundie, Chief Research and Strategy Officer, who, together with Ray Ozzie, Chief Software Architect, has replaced Chairman Bill Gates at the helm of Microsoft.

The Redmond giant is, of course, extremely hush-hush about Midori, but the company, as it has a tradition of letting details slip through its fingers, officially confirmed the existence of Midori, and its connection with Singularity.

Source: Midori - Next operating system from Microsoft - KezNews.com (http://keznews.com/4591_Midori_-_Next_operating_system_from_Microsoft)

SealLion
03.07.08, 05:42
I'll be somewhat interested when Win 7 comes out in a few years to replace that shit called 'vista'

For a while, I was actually thinking of purchasing a computer that has Vista.....so far, I haven't done anything. Still with WinXP, though.

From what I understand, Vista has about 5000 OS files in it and Win 7 is supposed to have....can't remember, I think about 500 or so??

Is that correct??

It'll be neat to see what Win 7 will have. Apparantly, it'll have a virtual HD. I think....??

zatoicchi
03.07.08, 08:08
i guess microsoft needed to developed a new windows due to the fact that windows vista was a failure..:redface:

Aurion
03.07.08, 12:29
i guess microsoft needed to developed a new windows due to the fact that windows vista was a failure..:redface:

yeah that was the saying around since that news about Windows 7 has been leaked out but IMO I thnk Windows 7 wont be the replacement to Vista since Vista was acquired by some people who still like it till now so MS made it,that simple !!

plentonimus
03.07.08, 13:40
I'll be somewhat interested when Win 7 comes out in a few years to replace that shit called 'vista'
They think, that they'll be ready to sell it in January 2010. But they didn't included their usual delay...

From what I understand, Vista has about 5000 OS files in it and Win 7 is supposed to have....can't remember, I think about 500 or so??

Is that correct??
I don't know - I never read/heard something like that. Anyway the number of files doesn't matter... it's the size that matters :wink:

It'll be neat to see what Win 7 will have. Apparantly, it'll have a virtual HD. I think....??
The super expensive server ultra edition might have that feature. I'm expecting crippled versions for private use & small offices (as usual). I'm even sceptical whether they will have a new file system.

anon
03.07.08, 17:40
I don't know - I never read/heard something like that. Anyway the number of files doesn't matter... it's the size that matters :wink:

you can have a working windows 98 (most drivers and net support) in just 5 mb. why doesn't microsoft release an nt version with such a small footprint? :D

The super expensive server ultra edition might have that feature. I'm expecting crippled versions for private use & small offices (as usual).

2 max half-open connections limit for vista home :tongue:

Aurion
03.07.08, 20:07
you can have a working windows 98 (most drivers and net support) in just 5 mb. why doesn't microsoft release an nt version with such a small footprint? :D

Well,a friend of compressed a w2k sp2 in 9mb rar file,took him around 13 hours with 4Gb ram !! also Ive seen a 2MB Vista compressed in 1 rar file !! :biggrin:

anon
03.07.08, 20:19
also Ive seen a 2MB Vista compressed in 1 rar file !! :biggrin:

maybe there was some .kgb file inside the archive? :wink:

also please ask your friend what winrar settings he uses!!! :klatsch_3: didn't know RAR could compress that much :eek3:

Aurion
03.07.08, 22:02
maybe there was some .kgb file inside the archive? :wink:

also please ask your friend what winrar settings he uses!!! :klatsch_3: didn't know RAR could compress that much :eek3:

yeah sure but I guess he used a super compressor since compressing Huge files couldnt be done using normal winrar/zip

P.S. that 2mb file was compressed off of 700mb .iso file (first release ever of Vista)

zatoicchi
04.07.08, 04:46
that 2mb file was compressed off of 700mb

that is really amazing to have that kind of compression. ive downloaded some problem that was only a small files compressed and when it was uncompressed it was over 1 gig very amazing indeed..

SealLion
05.07.08, 02:15
The super expensive server ultra edition might have that feature. I'm expecting crippled versions for private use & small offices (as usual). I'm even sceptical whether they will have a new file system.

Here's some information on virtualization, my friend:

http://windows7news.com/2008/05/23/windows-7-to-break-backwards-compatibility/comment-page-1/

here's where I got this from:

http://windows7news.com/

Though you could be right about gett'in crippled versions it. Hell. YOu never know with Windows, do you??\
Vista is testament to that, eh??

Hey look. Our friend Bill is there!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Aurion
05.07.08, 11:35
IMO its not about network's tweaks or GUI,its just about stability of the system & integration of its core system files,just to work in a harmony for 15 hours without a single crash or error report message ---> that what Bill needs to focus on :tongue:

anon
05.07.08, 19:44
just to work in a harmony for 15 hours without a single crash or error report message ---> that what Bill needs to focus on :tongue:

remember when you couldn't run windows 95 or 98 for more than 49.7 days in a row before it crashed? pretty symbolic :)