PDA

View Full Version : Sony has lost over $3 billion on the PS3

zatoicchi
27.06.08, 05:12
Think you paid too much for your Playstation 3? Don't expect any sympathy from Sony.

In the company's fiscal 2008 annual report, Sony revealed that they've now lost roughly $3.3 billion (that's billion with a B) on the Playstation 3 since its launch. That breaks down to $2.16 billion in 2007, followed by a notably smaller but equally daunting $1.16 billion loss in 2008.

The reason? Pricing the console below its production cost. That's right - that hefty $599 you paid for the PS3 back when it first launched was significantly cheaper than the cost of producing it in the first place, and while the retail price has come down some, the losses keep piling up.

Sony has lost over $3 billion on the PS3 - Video Game Feature - Yahoo! Video Games (http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/sony-has-lost-over-3-billion-on-the-ps3/1223467)

anon
27.06.08, 13:28
i can see "internet communication devices" like another psp or a playstation 3.5 coming from sony :)

zatoicchi
27.06.08, 19:22
they probably will spend more money on marketing the boost sales or rely on their blue ray the make the losses

Aurion
07.07.08, 07:37
$3 billion is a huge number,people still think that PS3 is way expensive that lots of PS addicts are still playing with PS2 & not expected that they will ever purchase a PS3 soon,anyway,those large firms are making lots of bucks in a way or another so dont get sad they lost some pennies :biggrin:

anon
07.07.08, 19:56
lots of PS addicts are still playing with PS2 & not expected that they will ever purchase a PS3 soon

still have my 10-year-old PS1 and i don't intend to change it :))

i would say its only downside is that it can't run FF7 because of its age :tongue:

zatoicchi
07.07.08, 23:53
still have my 10-year-old PS1 and i don't intend to change it :))

that's why they losing money:biggrin:

anon
07.07.08, 23:59
"still have my 10-year-old PS1 and i don't intend to change it :))"
that's why they losing money:biggrin:

not like it need to do so anyway, i have my pc for GaminG :) and if i really really want to play a psx title emulators ftw :biggrin:

Aurion
08.07.08, 08:08
no I disposed my PS1 long time ago since I got my PS2 once it got released & same thing I dont mind exchanging it with a PS3 atm but i would do that once it gets way cheaper

nuzz
31.05.11, 15:28
ps3 innovations may be legendary for publishing anfg marketing. the people always has an expectation.

guybrush
18.12.11, 05:28
well every console is sold at a loss and it has always been that way. the real money comes from licensing. so it is somewhat inaccurate to say they lost money.

ParamouR
18.12.11, 18:51
yeah think how much they earned with the Gaming partners and licensing. I would really love to see Sony losing from the time they started behaving retarded by putting lawsuits on all the hardworking Jail breakers :mad:

wha
13.01.12, 03:42
yeah think how much they earned with the Gaming partners and licensing. I would really love to see Sony losing from the time they started behaving retarded by putting lawsuits on all the hardworking Jail breakers :mad:
in deed.. instead of going after these who distribute their games.. going after jailbreakers devs..!

Dagon
13.01.12, 18:55
i read that there were rumors that sony wont release a new console generation. with this facts they have a good reason to be not more active in the games sector. i see the problem as in the article, that they produced the best hardware but with too high costs.
MS and WII were much cheaper and so more interesting for gamers.

Mfg Dagon

jezuis
13.01.12, 23:27
and how much they get with the games sold?

crazy_dude
21.01.12, 19:57
long life to pc users

astarta
25.01.12, 17:38
They gona lose even more and as for PC users there's so little games released nowdays it's sad...

MHFC1913
27.01.12, 16:26
in my country ps3 is very expensive.... no one actuaaly buys it, i believe soon there will be a launch of ps 3.5 or something similar

jezuis
27.01.12, 18:21
in my country ps3 is very expensive.... no one actuaaly buys it, i believe soon there will be a launch of ps 3.5 or something similar

and where u from?
im asking because here is the same, all eletronics have something near of 60% of taxs, one of the biggest taxs in the world!! even im saying i didnt believe. btw, im from brazil.

SilkTouch
14.12.12, 04:11
Does anyone know are they still loosing money as of this year ?
So many rumours about PS4 getting announced in 2013.

cseller
01.10.23, 20:35
That sounds insane that they were selling it below cost, for such a high price and obviously massive production quantities. I suppose it makes sense for Sony to have done so though, they can make the profit on games in the future.

anon
01.10.23, 23:12
i can see "internet communication devices" like another psp or a playstation 3.5 coming from sony :)

I predicted the PS Vita, what a visionary!

That sounds insane that they were selling it below cost

Nintendo did the same with the Wii, except that it worked amazingly well! Then again, they were selling to a different audience.