PDA

View Full Version : One billion PCs now in use worldwide

zatoicchi
24.06.08, 03:00
There are now more than a billion PCs in active use worldwide, according to analyst house Gartner.

On Gartner's estimation that the installed base of PCs is growing at an annual rate of almost 12 percent, there will be two billion PCs in use by 2014, the analysts said on Monday. The findings are included in the Gartner report Forecast: PC Installed Base, Worldwide, 2004-2012.

According to Gartner, most of the one billion PCs in use — a separate estimate from that of the number of PCs that have been shipped — are mainly to be found in mature markets, but emerging markets are set to gain a larger share of the total in future.

"Mature markets, such as the US, Western Europe and Japan, currently account for 58 percent of the world's installed PCs, but these markets only account for 15 percent of the world's population," said research director George Shiffler. "But, rapid economic development across emerging markets is not only narrowing the disparity in average living standards, it's closing the difference in per-capita PC penetration between mature and emerging markets."

One billion PCs now in use worldwide - ZDNet.co.uk (http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39437717,00.htm)

yoco
24.06.08, 11:53
Good to know I'm not the only one :tongue:

anon
24.06.08, 15:44
you didn't know you weren't the only one? :biggrin:

just look around, computers and the internet are everywhere in everything :tongue:

Aurion
24.06.08, 20:22
LOL that is a HUGE figure,but dont think they counted us hehe since our country is a PC freak filled up with PCs all over the place,im waiting to see an installed PC in a cab :biggrin:

anon
24.06.08, 20:26
im waiting to see an installed PC in a cab :biggrin:

or in a public phone :tongue::

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/Payphone_loading_Microsoft_Windows_XP.jpg/180px-Payphone_loading_Microsoft_Windows_XP.jpg

embedded xp all the way :klatsch_3:

Aurion
24.06.08, 21:29
LOL that was a nice one :biggrin:

zatoicchi
25.06.08, 04:08
anon, how did you take picture of my computer:top:
...i guess they count those too :biggrin:

anon
25.06.08, 18:31
anon, how did you take picture of my computer:top:

your comp? where do you live xD also yea, it is technically a computer so it should be counted ^^

zatoicchi
25.06.08, 20:24
your comp? where do you live xD also yea, it is technically a computer so it should be counted

anon, just kidding about the my computer thing...:smile:
if that is my computer ,,man i will have all kind of problems:biggrin:

anon
25.06.08, 20:29
anon, just kidding about the my computer thing...:smile:

i was aware of that :biggrin:

if that is my computer ,,man i will have all kind of problems:biggrin:

but you could show it off and say "look at my 1337 payph-*... computer" :tongue: it also doesn't have a mouse so good luck , eh well, doing anything! ^^

zatoicchi
26.06.08, 05:26
but you could show it off and say "look at my 1337 payph-*... computer

or maybe someday it will be in a museum:wink: