PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Video Game DRM Prism, 1980’s Style

zatoicchi
18.06.08, 04:34
These days, although DRM is almost universally hated, it’s not a new reaction - people have always hated it. We take a look at an innovative device designed to thwart 1980’s pirates and hope and pray that no-one reintroduces this one. Love it or hate it, it’s one of the most intrusive DRM systems ever seen.
he device is a few inches long, rectangular, with two folding hinges on either side supporting a specially engineered prism-like lens. At certain points in the game the user can go no further until he holds it over some strange on-screen blotches, which become miraculously readable when viewed through the special lenses of the device. Type in the now-visible code and the player can continue. Surely this is pushing way past the limits of acceptable DRM?

Crazy Video Game DRM Prism, 1980’s Style | TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/crazy-video-game-drm-prism-1980s-style-080617/)

Aurion
18.06.08, 19:29
what an old fashion LOL :biggrin:but still got some technology touch using the eye lenses

anon
18.06.08, 20:27
yea, maybe it was a bit sucessful at preventing their products from being pirated, but the hassle it was for legit users...? every now and then they had to put the thing on their screens to advance in the game... :rolleyes2:

it's like WGA false positives :biggrin:

Aurion
21.06.08, 15:25
it's like WGA false positives :biggrin:

LOL everyone can Hack WGA now dude,Ive teached my young brother how to grab a well made crack for WGA :tongue:

anon
21.06.08, 17:44
LOL everyone can Hack WGA now dude,Ive teached my young brother how to grab a well made crack for WGA :tongue:

that's right ^^

but i meant legal windows users who have bought their copy of xp legally, yet WGA makes a mistake and labels their Win as pirate...... for people that don't want to deal with balloon tips, popups at logon and aren't willing to use a crack because they want to keep themselves in the legal side, the process of telling microsoft about the false positive can be boring and time-consuming :frown:

just like having to use this lenslok thing every now and then was for legit game owners -.-