PDA

View Full Version : Closing the Door to Microsoft Vista

BrianBosworth
18.05.08, 10:28
A number of companies are opting not to embrace Redmond's latest operating system and, like GM, are waiting for Windows 7 instead.
General Motors (GM) may take a detour around Vista, the latest computer operating system from Microsoft (MSFT). The automaker has encountered so many speed bumps getting Vista to work on its machines that it may just wait for the next version of Windows, due in 2010 or 2011. "We're considering bypassing Vista and going straight to Windows 7," says GM's Chief Systems & Technology Officer Fred Killeen.

Vista taxes all but the most modern PCs with hefty processing and memory requirements. Many of GM's PCs can't even run the system. "By the time we'd replace them, Windows 7 might be ready anyway," Killeen says. Then there are compatibility problems with all the software that needs to run on Windows. GM's software vendors still haven't ensured all their programs will run on Vista trouble-free. So the company is sticking with Windows XP for now. Killeen figures GM could install Windows 7 in three or four years.

source:Closing the Door to Microsoft Vista (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2008/tc20080512_157155.htm)

SealLion
18.05.08, 13:53
thanks goodness that from what I understand, is that Win 7 will be a lot less bloated as well.

anon
18.05.08, 19:47
thanks goodness that from what I understand, is that Win 7 will be a lot less bloated as well.

then can you imagine how lightweight unofficial "lite" versions of win7 will be? :smile:

win 9x seems to be like a million years away nowadays :cool2:

buggeroff
24.05.08, 11:23
Are there any particular problems in staying with XP until Win 7 is likely to be released? I believe Microsoft has extended it's support for security fixes etc for XP for a few more years. Are there any other pitfalls?

anon
24.05.08, 18:02
Are there any other pitfalls?

if they can't use xp because of slow speeds, they have windows fundamentals for legacy pcs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals)

if they can't use it because of security concerns, eXPerience has released both "microxp" and "micro2003" at TPB, which are so freaking small (90mb and 102mb respectively) you could say everything that had the slightest chance to be exploited has been removed :biggrin: microxp, for example, can run with just four services enabled :eek3:

so i don't see any other reasons not to stick with xp :cool2:

zatoicchi
24.05.08, 19:43
well it's about time that they are thinking of not continuing vista..vista had to many problems,hope the nest windows will be better..