Modded by:
╚═══════════════════════════╝

>>>>>> anon <<<<<<

╔═══════════════════════════╗
Changelog / Features:

· Removed all advertisements and social networking features
· Removed all the call-homes I could find
· Trimmed the executable by almost 2 MB by stripping binary blobs, HTML and digital signature
· Added DHT Patch v2: allows the use of DHT, PEX and LPD for private torrents, but does not enable them by default
· Added /LARGEADDRESSAWARE patch: allows the process to use up to 4 GB of RAM on 64-bit systems, or up to 3 GB on 32-bit systems configured to support it (the disk cache is still limited to 1800 MB); reportedly also improves stability under high-demand scenarios (e.g. seeding thousands of torrents)
· Added rss.update_interval patch: allows values lower than 5
· There are no cheating features, it's just for those who want a lightweight client

Known issues:

· "Upgrade to Pro" always appears in the sidebar.
Workaround: go to Options -> Preferences -> Advanced. Close the window, then do the same again but hold Shift+F2 before clicking on Preferences. Find gui.show_plus_upsell_nodes and set it to false. That setting is ignored on startup, so you'll have to do this every time you run the program.

· A very rare (once per six months of 24/7 runtime in average) issue that causes the program to crash silently. Not known if it's due to the mod or just a bug in uTorrent itself.

· Clicking where the globe icon would be in the bottom right corner of the window still opens the Preferences dialog.

· Ticking "Enable protocol enhancements" in the settings is not recommended, as said enhancements may rely on removed features.

· uTorrent will default to TLS 1.0 if no Schannel policies are set, which means many HTTPS trackers won't work. Merging the bundled registry file will solve this.

Technical information:

· See 21100 for the instructions and toolkit required to recreate or update this mod.

· settings.dat: comes preconfigured to disable all advertisements, call-homes and non-essential features
· updates.dat: dummy read-only file that prevents uTorrent from storing data about (manual) client updates
· social.bmp: effectively hides the Facebook, Twitter and language icons in the status bar by replacing them with 100% transparent ones
· TLS Fix.reg: sets several Schannel registry entries to specifically allow TLS 1.x secure protocols
· utorrent.lng: official language pack file
· utorrent-355-46074.chm: official help file
· webui.zip: official WebUI resource file

anon
15.01.20, 08:27
You wanted it, you got it: Clean uTorrent, available to everyone!

Note that I will be updating this as my free time and schedule allow, don't expect me to keep up with every new official release. Also, please don't ask for cheating features.

Mon
21.03.20, 10:40
Glad to see that you're back at it, anon! Nice release, well done

anon
23.03.20, 04:34
Good to see you again, too :wwink:

I'd like some feedback. Who else is using this mod? Why or why not? Do you think uTorrent 3.5.5 makes a good client after the fluff is removed, or do you still prefer an older version or a different client?

maciejos
13.04.20, 11:35
Good work, but ... the utorrent.lng has only 1.28 MB and contains ~ 55 languages - not everyone wants Utorrent in English language from Deutsch site :)

anon
14.04.20, 11:20
Good point. I use all software in English, but not everyone may want to do that. To top it off, since connections to utorrent.com and other domains are removed from the executable, the "Download Translation" menu item won't work.

The next release will include the latest language file at the time of modding.

anon
13.05.20, 04:41
· A very rare (once per six months of 24/7 runtime in average) issue that causes the program to crash silently. Not known if it's due to the mod or just a bug in uTorrent itself. May only occur if you have partial seeding torrents active, but this is unconfirmed.

Had this happen today (the last time was on November 2019) and without any partial seeding torrents active, so I'm discarding that theory. My guess is that it's a "mystery" bug in the base client... oh well.

anon
30.08.20, 10:54
A new version has been postponed due to a major bug in build 45776's search box that hides all torrents from view.

anon
05.09.20, 20:56
I added a technical information section to the first post.

alina
28.11.20, 14:10
To me, v3 has a faster download speed than v2, more peer connections too, but some private trackers only allow v2. Also, v3 has better support for the 4K display. V2 is really starting to show its age.

anon
29.11.20, 11:26
I've been using uTorrent since version 1.3, and can confidently say 2.2.1 was the pinnacle in terms of interface design. However, it is over a decade old, has several known bugs and security vulnerabilities, and can't handle big .torrent files or piece sizes. Hardcore users will disagree, but I strongly advice against using it. A P2P client has to be exposed to connections from random hosts all over the Internet by definition, so this isn't a "be careful and you'll be fine" situation.

anon
02.12.20, 14:47
New version is up. Note that the DHT Patch v2 does not apply to pre-existing torrents. To make that happen, you need to edit resume.dat and change their "dht" (5 = DHX and PEX allowed and enabled; 1 = both allowed, DHT enabled; 0 = both allowed, both disabled) and "lsd" (8 = Local Peer Discovery allowed and enabled; 0 = allowed and disabled) values.

JohnWick
15.12.20, 20:52
i tried to download a torrent from private tracker by this version,

all my download data was wasting, it was showing in hash fail, wasted..
i downloaded it succesfully with old version

i think old utorrent 2 versions are good, than new

anon
16.12.20, 01:21
That's very worrying. Can you try those same torrents with the official uTorrent 3.5.5? I have been using this mod for more than two years now and hash fails have been extremely rare.

JohnWick
18.12.20, 10:54
That's very worrying. Can you try those same torrents with the official uTorrent 3.5.5? I have been using this mod for more than two years now and hash fails have been extremely rare.

Tested this time on IPT, No Issues, as torrent becomes stable after few seconds by wasting few mbs,...

1st it start wasting data, 234 kb was download, and 1 mb was wasted data,
but after few seconds, it got stable,
when i downloaded 100mb from 1.5GB file, wasted data stopped at 7.65mb,
and on 125mb download from 1.5GB file, wasted data was 8mb..

anon
18.12.20, 21:08
Note that hash fails and wasted data are not the same thing. Hash fails occur when pieces are corrupted in transit and do not pass the hash check. Wasted data are merely pieces or subpieces that arrived OK but your client did not need.

If you have changed the value of bt.prio_first_last_piece or bt.send_have_to_seed, reset them to the default.

anon
20.04.21, 06:03
https://github.com/SeaHOH/ban-peers

SB-I is considered a reliable source :gsmile:

JohnWick
29.04.21, 14:45
@anon

Please update it to: µTorrent Stable (3.5.5 build 45988)

anon
02.05.21, 10:59
Since there may be a newer version out when I get around updating this, I can't promise a particular build number. I'll do whatever is the latest stable at the time.

banjje
02.05.21, 11:31
Since there may be a newer version out when I get around updating this, I can't promise a particular build number. I'll do whatever is the latest stable at the time.

Hey anon. can you tell me what is the difference between this thread ut3.5 and the ut 3.5 shared by haxnod .

see the picture :

anon
03.05.21, 02:15
From the looks of that screenshot, I'd expect it to be a cracked but otherwise unmodified uTorrent Pro. In that case, it would have no advertisements, plus an antivirus, media player and other features most don't really need.

Edit: confirmed, that's exactly what it was.

anon
01.09.21, 12:30
The long-overdue update is up! Unfortunately, I no longer have the time to continue this project, but here's (most of) my toolkit and notes for making the mod. If you follow the steps, you'll be able to create your own Clean uTorrent for any future versions.

As of March 2022, the method of filling strings involving "cdn.ap.bittorrent.com" with 0x00 bytes no longer works on new versions, and will cause your mod to crash shortly after startup. Replace them with "http://0.0.0.0/" and only pad the remainder with null bytes, that will work fine.

Lucas Kane
02.09.21, 23:13
Thanks anon for your great work. :smile:

One question though, can your toolkit be applied to the cracked (Pro) version mentioned above to get rid of "Upgrade to Pro" for once ?

Can this be the cleanest version possible (your mod + Pro "cracked" version) ?

anon
03.09.21, 04:13
One question though, can your toolkit be applied to the cracked (Pro) version mentioned above to get rid of "Upgrade to Pro" for once ?

I haven't checked, since uTorrent Pro is commercial software and the forum rules don't allow posting a cracked version. But thanks to the cleanup done on the executable, this is a cosmetic bug anyway, clicking on "Upgrade to Pro" doesn't even do anything!

anon
11.09.21, 07:34
For the record, 3.5.5 Build 45291 is the last version of uTorrent that works on Windows XP. Since it's very hard to find, I have attached it to this post for your convenience. Note the executable is completely untouched (as can be attested by checking its digital signature); if you want a clean version of it, you'll have to follow the steps in post #22.

JohnWick
18.09.21, 20:05
@anon

I am trying to clean utorrent-3.5.5.46090

Unpacked carrier.exe , removed signature, decompress the carries.exe , after that it created resources folder,

i used latest version of resource hacker 5.1.8 to remove CSS, GIF, JS, PNG, RCData and HTML from carrier.exe .
i successfully removed CSS, GIF, JS, PNG, HTML,

Now, i stuck at removing RCData, when i click there, resource hacker tool goes to not responding, it shows 89% loading and stuck at this, i waiter several minutes,but nothing happend and cpu fan start noising... (Successfully deleted RCData with old version of Resource Hacker

can you guide me how to remove RCData and please check above steps, i am doing right..?

anon
18.09.21, 23:02
(Successfully deleted RCData with old version of Resource Hacker

For what it's worth, I use 5.1.7 (build 343).

please check above steps, i am doing right..?

As long as you're following the steps in the way and order they're written, then yes. That freeze was likely a bug in Resource Hacker.

JohnWick
19.09.21, 04:49
@anon
can you please give me some hints? i am stuck at this:

Remove strings for call-homes and advertisements with a hex editor...

by using HxD on carrier.exe , what i should delete?
is there any tutorial? anywhere on any forum?

anon
19.09.21, 12:09
by using HxD on carrier.exe , what i should delete?

Well, I provided a list of strings to search for, as well as a short one of those not to delete :richter:

is there any tutorial? anywhere on any forum?

No, because basic knowledge of a hex editor is assumed. But for the most part, it's a matter of double-clicking what you want to remove -> right-click -> fill selection with bytes -> 00 -> OK. Where the procedure differs from this, my notes explain it unambiguously.

If you need more specific hints, get a copy of build 46074, do everything you've done so far on it, then run a binary comparison (a task for which I use Total Commander but many other programs exist) to see what I wiped. Note that new versions often add or remove this sort of strings, so don't mindlessly replicate what you see.

banjje
27.08.22, 10:10
Forer.====================

Hey my man ,can you explain that what grade is it when the following .reg files influences win 7 system's tls comunication between clients and system.

This files, TLS Fix.reg

I mean, when you click the .reg files and merge with it, will this operation influcence other p2p clients' tls1.x comunication?

anon
28.08.22, 05:46
It explicitly enables TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2, and disables some obsolete security protocols, as well as TLS 1.3 (normally a bad idea, but Microsoft's implementation of it has known bugs).

Without applying those registry values, uTorrent will default to TLS 1.0 for HTTPS connections, which is deprecated and therefore not supported by many trackers. They affect anything that relies on the SChannel API, but have no effect on programs that use their own TLS stack (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Java).

banjje
06.10.22, 03:15
It explicitly ena hing that relies on the SChannel API, but have no effect on programs that use their own TLS stack (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Java).

OK.I see.
Hi Annon, could you pls send me the original address of this utorrent with version 3.5.5?
I mean , the address like xxx.utorrent.com\xxx.exe.
This is because your version could not response and not pop up when I double click the .torrent.

anon
06.10.22, 09:18
Hi Annon, could you pls send me the original address of this utorrent with version 3.5.5?
I mean , the address like xxx.utorrent.com\xxx.exe.

Find it on any site that archives old releases, then check the digital signature to make sure you have an unmodified copy.

banjje
16.10.22, 23:34

Find it on any site that archives old releases, then check the digital signature to make sure you have an unmodified copy.

hEY aNNON,help me to figure out that why isn't this proxy set avaliable.
I use tor for proxy.
And if I did not use proxy and used proxifire onto the utorrent.exe , the connection was OK.

anon
17.10.22, 15:53
Well, since Tor is not meant to be used for torrenting, that's almost an improvement in this case. Anyway, can you try the following?

Using SOCKS4a instead of SOCKS5. If it works, the problem lies in uTorrent's proxy support and cannot be fixed by me.
Using the unmodified build 46074 with the same settings. If it works, then it's likely the mod's fault and I'll look into it.

banjje
22.10.22, 13:22
Well, since Tor is not meant to be used for torrenting, that's almost an improvement in this case. Anyway, can you try the following?

Using SOCKS4a instead of SOCKS5. If it works, the problem lies in uTorrent's proxy support and cannot be fixed by me.
Using the unmodified build 46074 with the same settings. If it works, then it's likely the mod's fault and I'll look into it.

Anon,here it is the test
I used the ut with the version above, the problem remained. So it seemed that this "socks 5 proxy failed" was due to the software-bug-itself.

And its weird if you use Proxifire, there was no problem.

2nd, I do not have socks4a proxy, so the another test is not able to acommplish .

anon
22.10.22, 19:31
I used the ut with the version above, the problem remained. So it seemed that this "socks 5 proxy failed" was due to the software-bug-itself.

Thanks for checking. This may have been fixed in the builds released since 46074, but that's partly why I posted my modding toolkit and instructions :richter:

And its weird if you use Proxifire, there was no problem.

Proxifier operates as a Winsock LSP. This is a fairly clean and effective approach, since it requires no modification of the affected programs. The downside is that it won't work on anything that doesn't use the Winsock API, but that's a minority of cases.

2nd, I do not have socks4a proxy, so the another test is not able to acommplish .

In practice, most SOCKS5 proxies are backwards-compatible with 4a, and that includes Tor.

banjje
20.12.22, 06:54
The stable version of utorrent 3.6 is coming out.Who can crk it?

anon
20.12.22, 09:39
stable version of utorrent 3.6

Actually very buggy, to the point the developers posted a special 3.5.5 build that won't autoupdate to it, so that no one (re)installs it by accident...

crk

:unsure:

banjje
21.12.22, 08:39
Hello Anon, this .36074 has a little un-function.When you double click the torrent, the window that let you choose the storing place does not pop up.Can you fix this?

anon
21.12.22, 11:20
When you double click the torrent, the window that let you choose the storing place does not pop up.

Please confirm that:

you have enabled Preferences -> UI Settings -> Show options to change the name and location of the torrent data
you aren't trying to add too many torrents at the same time (this ignores the setting and adds torrents immediately using the default download location)
this doesn't occur in the unmodified 3.5.5 build 46074

I'll have a look then, but with the holidays and new year around the corner you may have to wait =]

banjje
21.12.22, 22:38
Please confirm that:

you have enabled Preferences -> UI Settings -> Show options to change the name and location of the torrent data
you aren't trying to add too many torrents at the same time (this ignores the setting and adds torrents immediately using the default download location)
this doesn't occur in the unmodified 3.5.5 build 46074

I'll have a look then, but with the holidays and new year around the corner you may have to wait =]

"Show options to change..." this was ticked.
I have double confirmed that the popup was not functioning.

qik5l
26.03.24, 03:29
How do I get this to work with magnet links?

thanks

alpacino
26.03.24, 16:40
How do I get this to work with magnet links?

thanks

Did you try options, general then associate with magnet URIs?

qik5l
26.03.24, 18:12
Did you try options, general then associate with magnet URIs?

Option not there

illusive
26.03.24, 21:08
File > Add Torrent From URL

then add the url !

Option not there

Yes it is, from Preferences > General > Associate with torrent files. Now opening magnet url from browser will pick uTorrent to open it !

anon
26.03.24, 23:56
Yes it is, from Preferences > General > Associate with torrent files.

The options to associate .torrent files and magnet links used to be separate, which explains his confusion. Note that touching associations requires administrator privileges.

qik5l
29.03.24, 22:48
File > Add Torrent From URL

then add the url !

Yes it is, from Preferences > General > Associate with torrent files. Now opening magnet url from browser will pick uTorrent to open it !

Option is greyed out but magnet links still don't work.

anon
30.03.24, 02:17
Well, if all else fails, you can create a "fake" protocol association. Just replace the red text below with the path to Clean uTorrent's directory (no trailing backslashes) and paste the whole thing inside an administrator terminal.

set CUTPATH=T:\whatever\Clean uTorrent
reg delete "HKCR\magnet" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\magnet" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet" /ve /d "URL:Magnet Protocol" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet" /v "URL Protocol" /d "" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet\DefaultIcon" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet\DefaultIcon" /ve /d "\"%CUTPATH%\uTorrent.exe\",0" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet\shell" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet\shell" /ve /d "open" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet\shell\open" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet\shell\open" /ve /d "Open with Clean uTorrent" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet\shell\open\command" /f
reg add "HKCR\magnet\shell\open\command" /ve /d "\"%CUTPATH%\uTorrent.exe\" %1" /f