PDA

View Full Version : Rumours: Microsoft Windows 7 in 2009

zatoicchi
29.04.08, 12:14
Microsoft Corp. has dropped two strong hints in the past two days that the next version of its Windows operating system will arrive in 2009, shaving up to a year off previous expectations.

It could also be a signal that Microsoft intends to cut its losses with Windows Vista, which has been poorly received or shunned by customers, especially large companies.

Microsoft has long said it wants to release Windows 7 about three years after Vista, which was released to manufacturing in November 2006 but not officially launched until January 2007. Given Microsoft's recent track record - Vista arrived more than five years after XP -- most outsiders had pegged sometime in 2010 as a safe bet for Windows 7's arrival.

But News.com reported today that Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates answered a question at a business meeting in Miami about Windows Vista by saying "Sometime in the next year or so we will have a new version."

And during its announcement yesterday that it would extend the availability of Windows XP Home for low-cost laptops, Microsoft said it would retire the operating system only after June 30, 2010, or one year after the release of Windows 7, whichever comes later.

That implies that Microsoft is targeting the middle of next year for some sort of release milestone for Windows 7 -- the only codename known at the moment -- though whether that would be a final release to consumers or an RTM, which allows businesses and resellers to start installing it, is unknown.

A Microsoft spokeswoman, in an e-mail, said the company "is in the planning stages for Windows 7 and development is scoped to three years from Windows Vista Consumer GA." She said the company was providing early builds of the new operating system to gain user feedback, but otherwise was not providing further information.

Gates also said that he was "super-enthused about what [Windows 7] will do in lots of ways" but didn't elaborate.

What could those be? Microsoft has divulged a few things. Responding to criticism that Windows has become unnecessarily bloated, the company has 200 engineers developing a slimmed-down kernel called MinWin that uses 100 files and 25MB, compared to Vista's 5,000 files and 4GB core and is so small it lacks a graphical subsystem.

Microsoft has also confirmed that the operating system will come in consumer and business versions and in 32-bit and 64-bit editions.

Screenshots of early betas of Windows 7 are also appearing. Blogger Paul Thurrott yesterday put up screenshots from Build 6519 of Windows 7 released in December, which he said looks like "a slightly enhanced version of Windows Vista."

To prepare its millions of reselling partners, Microsoft needs to start generating excitement about its software months or years in advance.

But if it talks up Windows 7 too much, it runs the risk that large companies -- Microsoft's most profitable customer segment -- will hold onto their Windows XP machines and skip Vista entirely in favor of Windows 7.

That appears to be happening. A recent enterprise survey by Forrester Research Inc. showed that only 6.3% of enterprises were running Vista at the end of December, with most of the upgrades coming at the expense of aging machines running Windows 2000, not XP.

The vast majority of the 100 million copies of Vista that Microsoft has sold so far have gone to individuals and small businesses purchasing new PCs.

The least-loved version of Windows has long been Windows Millennium Edition, a buggy minor upgrade that was superseded by XP within a year of its release. Despite its far greater -- some would say, too great -- technical ambition, Vista may end up lumped together with ME as one of the blips on Windows' long-term road map.

Will Microsoft deliver Windows 7 next year? (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9075018&intsrc=hm_list)

anon
29.04.08, 20:30
" the company has 200 engineers developing a slimmed-down kernel called MinWin that uses 100 files and 25MB, compared to Vista's 5,000 files and 4GB core and is so small it lacks a graphical subsystem."

not that small :) when you can have windows 98 in less than 5 mb -> link (http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~e8gus/nano98/) (fine, it uses the ms-dos kernel, but that's small too! :P)

czullo
29.04.08, 21:47
i think se7en will be like vista = big shiet

fatattack
10.05.08, 14:12
it's already been said that it'll be more likely to see in 2010 which is more acceptable too.
And I still don't get all the fuzz about bashing vista.
It's a very good OS. Runs great, does it's job and after SP1 most of the annoyances are actually worked out of it.
Just follow two basic rules like you always should do with any new os:
1. (general) don't run it on outdated hardware. And sorry but in IT hardware dated back two years and older is quite outdated. It was designed for the current software, not the new.
2. ( vista recommended ) get enough RAM. Prices are so low you can upgrade for peanuts these days. Look vista go with 4GB instead of 1GB ( what you would be surprised how many people actually run in under and then complain )

2000 - XP was upgrading as well. I clearly recall upgrading mem too when I went to XP 6 years ago. It's been 6 years ! no wonder xp runs great on modern hardware, it was a slug on the hardware 6 years ago as well.

but to stay on topic:
yes I think win 7 will be quite liking to vista.
I don't think personally that the rumoured drop of backward compatibility will occur with this version so soon.

SealLion
10.05.08, 23:22
and to think that I was actually thinking of buying Vista sometime in the near future.

I am glad that I came across this thread as I'll think that I"ll hold on to my XP for quite some time,yet.

Thanks for the info.
Very much appreciated.

Thanks given.

Pickle
17.05.08, 21:36
Linux is the way you should walk on.

zatoicchi
18.05.08, 13:34
the way i see it vista is a disappointment so anything is better than vista..just hate vista too much restrictions on vista

SealLion
18.05.08, 13:51
Linux is the way you should walk on.

Linux can be ok if you don't have to deal with those cmd windows all the time as I had to when try'in to figure out Ubuntu.

Its also the general commands to use for operating the system is what I found difficult. I gave up on it afterwards. ....

For all the bad things that Win may have....at least its user friendly. The GUI of windows is easy to work with. Thats what I mean.

Aurion
23.05.08, 19:21
Vista was a Mess Up OS so I guess they are offering a new experience to cover up their BIG mistake