PDA

View Full Version : COSMOS: A Space-Time Odyssey

Blocker
18.05.14, 18:45
More than three decades after the debut of "Cosmos," Carl Sagan's stunning and iconic exploration of the universe as revealed by science, FOX sets off on a voyage for the stars with "COSMOS: A SPACE-TIME ODYSSEY". Seth MacFarlane (FAMILY GUY, AMERICAN DAD) has teamed up with Sagan's original creative collaborators - writer/producer Ann Druyan and astrophysicist Steven Soter - to conceive a 13-part "docu-series" that will serve as a successor to the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning original series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhUzYLMU6jM

Definitely one of my favourite TV shows now.:tongue:

yoco
18.05.14, 22:43
I think I only watched one episode. I somehow always forget to watch it on sundays

slikrapid
19.05.14, 22:42
More than three decades after the debut of "Cosmos," Carl Sagan's stunning and iconic exploration of the universe as revealed by science,

or in other words: how to attract audience by using an older famous tv show name/legacy

from what i heard, this show is (much) more about politics/propaganda (check imdb discussion topics for that angle) than actual discoveries - did not watch to be able to confirm though, wasn't particularly interested

Blocker
20.05.14, 03:40
- did not watch to be able to confirm though, wasn't particularly interested

And are you interested now?

I think I only watched one episode. I somehow always forget to watch it on sundays

Its awesome ,if you like science and specially cosmology this TV show is great IMO

alpacino
20.05.14, 06:08
Look, it's that guy from a very known meme.

cirulilu
20.05.14, 12:08
http://i.imgur.com/61bJL8r.gif

slikrapid
20.05.14, 19:42
And are you interested now?

your thread/post made me check out imdb info on the show, but after noticing the contents comments/discussion thats when i lost interest in it
nothing unusual, i rarely watch anything tv-related anyways, has been so for quite some time now

Blocker
22.05.14, 03:36
i rarely watch anything tv-related anyways, has been so for quite some time now

Me either, only Cosmos and Game of Thrones for now :tongue:

zora
23.05.14, 06:40
How did this show get on Fox? I mean it talks about evolution and other anti-conservative/fox viewpoints. I'm not bashing here. After all people who watch fox are stereotypically the most scientifically illiterate and need the basic grade 12 science concepts discussed in the show, but how was this ever approved by the network in the first place?

yoco
23.05.14, 16:48
Fox? I know it's on National Geographic here :D

tr-cht-fx-242p
23.05.14, 16:53
maybe I'll watch. The original was so great because of Carl Sagan's enthusiasm. Don't know how that could be redone...

slikrapid
23.05.14, 20:56
How did this show get on Fox? I mean it talks about evolution and other anti-conservative/fox viewpoints.

simple: that (corporate) media outlet only seems conservative, whereas its most likely merely liberal-lite, so they only appear to have opposing views - this can be observed in politics: these opposing political parties only seem different on the outside, whereas as soon as they get to a leading position its remarkable (and thus telling) how similar their political moves/results become, as if there is no particularly significant difference between them - in other words, the voters (or in this case: the viewers) are duped into thinking they represent (diametrically) opposed viewpoints - its called: divide & conquer or controlled opposition

it seems they both actually accept evolution (actively/passively), otherwise they would be fighting tooth and nail regarding such an important issue - the most ironic/tragic thing about it is that the theory itself is rather silly (but feelgood, you know: we, the evolved humans, oooh), cannot be proven (not even nearly, the evidence is simply missing/glossed over), doesn't have a competent opposition (being loud & fanatical doesn't equal competence - again, smells of controlled opposition), gets a dogmatic treatment (as if already proven, don't dare question it) - this example serves as yet another sign of the 'new age': major viewpoints regarding various issues are both wrong and (almost) equally unsupported by evidence, even though the evidence is all around us and it doesn't take uber-intellectual abilities to notice it - furthermore, they themselves may serve as cases that disprove the evolutionary theory (another irony, no?)

notice a pattern here? we are all being sold a pre-packaged dualistic choice, dualistic behavior is actively supported (pro/contra, like/dislike, love/hate), whereas the truth may contain parts of the aforementioned or may even be completely outside of their scope of inquiry/insight

Fox? I know it's on National Geographic here

National Geographic Channel (also commercially abbreviated and trademarked as Nat Geo) is an American digital cable and satellite television channel that is owned by the National Geographic Society and the Fox Cable Networks division of 21st Century Fox.