PDA

View Full Version : Automatic promotion system

HellSoul
18.08.12, 21:53
Can't you agree on some fixed requirements for getting the member title promotion? It will be easier for users to reach it because they could set the goal for themselves and it will be also easier for the stuff because they won't need to check if the member is applicable for the promotion, instead there will be a system that will promote the members automatically according to the members' number of posts, reputation, etc.

anon
19.08.12, 02:53
it will be also easier for the stuff because they won't need to check if the member is applicable for the promotion

But that's exactly what we want. An automated system can't check how much X posts have actually contributed to the forum. We can.

SealLion
19.08.12, 04:36
Believe me Hellsoul. Having the staff check to see whether or not a person who's joined the board and is making appropriate post contributions in the way of meaningful conversations, posts, threads, etc is much, much better for the board. Making a bunch of spam type posts is meaningless, doesn't make much for contributing conversations to the board, illustrates that the only thing that the guy who's joined is to get his post count up so that he can get some 'member' title, etc. Believe me my friend, it's better like this. Everyone goes through this routine.

dickbutt123
19.08.12, 08:15
I applied a while ago but got no follow up. How often do admins check to see if we've reached the required stats, or should be cancel and reapply so the application gets to the top of some queue?

Master Razor
19.08.12, 10:22
But that's exactly what we want. An automated system can't check how much X posts have actually contributed to the forum. We can.

Making SB-I the opposite of every torrent invite forum existent. :klatsch_3:

Gapo
19.08.12, 10:47
It would be easier to have tracker spies if that were to be the case :eek13:

Instab
19.08.12, 11:45
I applied a while ago but got no follow up. How often do admins check to see if we've reached the required stats, or should be cancel and reapply so the application gets to the top of some qüü?

in some cases we do contact the applicants. in some others we don't. sometimes we reject applications, sometimes we don't.

that's the concept that this is not predictable making it difficult and tiresome for those we don't wanna have in the non public areas. over the years we got a pretty keen eye in that regard.

Hush
19.08.12, 15:54
i really like the promotion system here. particularly with regard to the non automatic system. what does an automatic system do? what you suggested. promote a if post=x and rep=y.

be active in the forum. quality posts > quantity posts. wait some time and write an application, like written in the faq.

SealLion
19.08.12, 19:34
It would be easier to have tracker spies if that were to be the case :eek13:

I don't think that was the original reason for having a person progress from 'non-member' to 'member' title Gapo. There was a thread published here on the board back in 2008 in which the work of the board's coders were downloaded and taken credit for by someone else.

The idea of tracker admins coming here is an old one but not a relevant one. Sb-i would still need the traffic from visitors (and not just tracker staff and ex-staff) for revenue purposes. So this idea doesn't really play well.

It's not some irrelevant issue of tracker admins visiting this site, it's originally because of work taken from this site's coders by someone else and uploaded on some other site. The idea of member title came into being b/c of the problem originally discussed in this thread here:

http://http://www.sb-innovation.de/f252/strike-while-iron-hot-7570/ (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f252/strike-while-iron-hot-7570/)

And that is why there is no automatic promotion system.

HellSoul
21.08.12, 14:49
I didn't understand how is it keeping the visitors of the site from taking others' work and make it their own. Even a non-member can download a coder's work from here, publish it in other site and credit himself.

anon
21.08.12, 18:33
Even a non-member can download a coder's work from here, publish it in other site and credit himself.

As long as tools are publicly available you can do that, yes. The idea is protecting those that aren't public.

Saint
26.11.12, 16:39
I guess this means I am stuck in limbo

anon
26.11.12, 18:06
It's not so terrible. I will admit the forum is much quieter than it was when we implemented this system, but we try to keep that in mind when selecting people to promote. If we see you being helpful regularly, you'll get it eventually.