PDA

View Full Version : Vimeo: Romania

SealLion
09.08.12, 05:45
After having a look on the Vimeo site for the last day and half, I think I finally came up with something good for showing something fun to do while in Romania. Rock climbing. I've never done it but I hear it builds stamina.

Near the end of the video, you'll see a couple of hitch hikers. This I have done. All I can say is that hitch hiking is a great way to deal with rejection.

What I liked about this video is the showing of rural Romania. The sheep, a few of the residents sitting and enjoying the heat of the day, horses frolicking on the prairie, and so forth. It's a good video.

Enjoy the video.

http://vimeo.com/14995965

Mihai
09.08.12, 18:54
Interesting video. Funny thing about it is that the Minister of Tourism here would have to work 10 years and they wouldn't be able to make a video like that... Also they would have to work decades and would'n be able to promote Romania like these guys did.

Oh, and also, the video is not even MADE by Romanians...

SealLion
10.08.12, 00:43
Interesting video. Funny thing about it is that the Minister of Tourism here would have to work 10 years and they wouldn't be able to make a video like that... Also they would have to work decades and would'n be able to promote Romania like these guys did.

Hows that, that they wouldn't be able to produce a video like the guys in the video did?? Is it because of resources/ manpower?? Or would it be because of just plain simple enthusiasm to do so??

Also, how were you able to tell that the vid wasn't made by Romanians?? I thought that the names shown earlier at the beginning might be Romanian.

slikrapid
10.08.12, 01:09
@SealLion:

After having a look on the Vimeo site for the last day and half, I think I finally came up with something good for showing something fun to do while in Romania.

for txt/images-only a quick search gives:

Romania’s diverse natural landscapes offer numerous choices for exciting outdoor experiences. Travelers can walk through serene alpine meadows covered with scores of wildflowers, trek around glacial lakes, take in the lush-green scenery while horse riding or mountain biking, climb curious rock formations, photograph fossil traces of 15,000-year old cave-bear species, track gold eagles or other rare birds, study endangered flora, wander in the countryside, picnic in the fields, try your hand at traditional crafts, - or just relax in the home of a village family and sample wholesome, country fare with home made wine and plum brandy.

http://www.romaniatourism.com/the-carpathian-mountains.html

All I can say is that hitch hiking is a great way to deal with rejection.

a serial killer would surely embrace any rejected lamb (at least for a while) ;)
other than that, its not advisable if you're a lone hitchhiker (especially female)

What I liked about this video is the showing of rural Romania.

afaik parts of 'borat' were filmed in rural romania :o

a few of the residents sitting and enjoying the heat of the day

they were most likely just posing for the occasion, afaik elderly people in rural areas rarely use these front benches, even less as a couple

horses frolicking on the prairie

to my knowledge, the term 'grassland' is used for these parts of europe

@Mihai:

Funny thing about it is that the Minister of Tourism here would have to work 10 years and they wouldn't be able to make a video like that... Also they would have to work decades and would'n be able to promote Romania like these guys did.

well, sounds like political generalizations, btw. the link above is sponsored by the .ro government or so it claims
regarding (official) videos of tourist attractions/destinations, i'm pretty sure these get made/spread all the time, especially since sites like youtube or vimeo arrived or got more popular, though governments are usually much slower at accepting new ways of (online) promotion, not to mention how even their 'old ways' often leave much to be desired

looks like it was made by a polish team (@SealLion: language used, credits), their next stop (hitchiking destination) being in slovakia

Mihai
10.08.12, 08:47
Hows that, that they wouldn't be able to produce a video like the guys in the video did?? Is it because of resources/ manpower?? Or would it be because of just plain simple enthusiasm to do so??

Also, how were you able to tell that the vid wasn't made by Romanians?? I thought that the names shown earlier at the beginning might be Romanian.

It's just because they do not actually care. Believe me, Romania has a lot of resources and smart people but because there are those who have the power and don't give a fuck we have to suffer.

Mihai
10.08.12, 08:53
afaik parts of 'borat' were filmed in rural romania :o

Not all Romania is like that. Those are gipsy villages, and they are the plague of our land. They are exactly how most European countries see us: thieves, uneducated, stinky bastards who only know how to ask for money and trick people. I live for example in a village, but it is not even close to that dumb in the movie.

they were most likely just posing for the occasion, afaik elderly people in rural areas rarely use these front benches, even less as a couple

Actually, people who do that still exist. Of course, old people generally.

Bottom line is: you have what to see here but I'm afraid not all people here actually care about all they have. :frown:

LLN
11.08.12, 19:27
Yup, Romania has such beautiful mountains and a lot of hiking and rock climbing courses. If you really want to do rock climbing you should get in shape first as sometimes it can be very challenging. I've done some rock climbing myself and some ice climbing in these mountains, it's a great way to see stuff and experience new sensations.