PDA

View Full Version : Vimeo: Christmas Island

SealLion
08.07.12, 18:22
This is another video of what people like doing best and having fun at where they go and visit or live at. In this case, it's fly-fishing. This tiny Pacific Ocean island with white sandy beaches, summer weather pretty much year-round, exotic Pacific Ocean fish swimming not far off the coast, corals nearby, palm trees, coconut jars to drink from, surfing the waves, yea....this is one of the places to go to for a fly-fishing adventure.

The video is of a guy who prepares for a fly-fishing adventure. I kind of found somewhat distracting the narration but it's not all that bad. But do enjoy the palm trees which you'll see throughout this video, the mantas swimming off-shore and so forth. I did like the beginning parts of the video which showed locals just going about their business---chill'in. That part of the video just seemed to make things more 'genuine', I guess. Also, at about the 1:18 mark, there is a road sign indicator of kangaroos. I had no idea that there are kangaroos on Christmas Island should that be true.

Enjoy. :smile:

http://vimeo.com/28397627

slikrapid
08.07.12, 20:12
The video is of a guy who prepares for a fly-fishing adventure.

its like a trailer for his travel dvd, the funny thing is the way they made it look like an action-adventure, whereas fishing is a relatively uneventful or slow-going activity

which showed locals just going about their business---chill'in

the kids were chilling, i'm pretty sure the local/native adults were on the other hand busy with their daily activities as their lifestyle is mostly traditional (hence hard manual work, ie. probably no fancy fishing gear for them)

there is a road sign indicator of kangaroos. I had no idea that there are kangaroos on Christmas Island should that be true.

its probably too small or unsuitable for such (large) animals, there might be imported ones though (wildlife sanctuary)

also, it seems there is little concern over the effects of multiple nuclear tests performed on/near the island in the late 50s/60s, compare that to the chernobyl paranoia - looks like the latter was and still is blown way out of proportion for political reasons, ones which weren't applicable regarding this island that certainly got 'hit' much worse by multiple nuclear-test effects on several occasions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiritimati

SealLion
08.07.12, 22:17
Well at the time that I saw this video and posted it here, it was kind of a surprise for me to have seen the sign that is in the video. Apparently, just having checked to see if there are kangaroos on Christmas Island didn't bring up any results so the sign ( if it would still be there. I don't know. Never been there myself but would certainly enjoy the gorgeous scenery and beaches along with the blue waters there if it weren't for the nuclear explosions in the vicinity having occurred in the past). So maybe it was put up for some humorous reason. Who knows.