PDA

View Full Version : Fringe

Instab
18.02.12, 07:20
http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=12637

A television drama centered around a female FBI agent who is forced to work with an institutionalized scientist in order to rationalize a brewing storm of unexplained phenomena.

source: Fringe (TV Series 2008–*) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119644/)

The best thing since X-Files. I think not much has to be said about this show. Everybody should know by now.

General Info:

Genre: Science fiction, Thriller, Horror, Mystery, Drama
Created by: J. J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci
Country of origin: United States
No. of seasons: 4
No. of episodes: 78

Interesting Links:

Fringepedia - Fringepedia - The FRINGE wiki (http://fringepedia.net/wiki/Fringepedia)
FOX Broadcasting Company - Fringe TV Show - Fringe TV Series - Fringe Episode Guide (http://www.fox.com/fringe/)
Fringe (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fringe_%28TV_series%29)
Fringe- HuffPost TV (http://www.aoltv.com/show/fringe/186601)
Fringe - TV.com (http://www.tv.com/shows/fringe/)
Fringe TV Show FOX | Fringe Online Series Summary (http://www.tvrage.com/Fringe)

yoco
18.02.12, 11:07
Another show I started with first season and simply didn't like it!

leechmodder
18.02.12, 12:14
ME too! Just not my cup of tea.

slikrapid
18.02.12, 23:42
The best thing since X-Files. I think not much has to be said about this show. Everybody should know by now.

"Fringe" or more accurately "Pseudo", is a series I really tried to like. Some have compared this series to The X-Files, but unlike X-Files, Fringe is peppered with shortcuts, sloppy editing, lazy writing and unimaginative (and unbelievable) story lines. The science component has barely any grounding in reality, and when it does it is clear the writers have done no research at all on the subject. Its as if the whole series was written by people high on the same illegal drugs the show constantly glorifies. The Dr. Bishop character incessantly encourages drug use with a particular preference for LSD. I'm writing this in the middle of watching episode 11, where the female FBI agent has just survived being kidnapped and experimented on, and unfriendly forces are threatening to shut down her work on the "Fringe-Files" Sound familiar? Jeez. Its like they stopped trying altogether at this point. Each new location we see is distinctively labeled much like they did on X-Files, except these labels are 3D lettering digitally inserted into the scene. Since this is the only way they can outdo X-Files ill ignore the fact that its an old trick I first saw on Panic Room seven years ago. But it really gets old fast. As is typical of new shows, Fringe (like Lost) attempts to to get the viewer hooked by hinting about some great secret to be uncovered, except this show is just a hook with no worm. The story revolves around a series of strange incidents called "the pattern", a term so sickeningly dull it gives me the sensation of swallowing mud when I hear it. The only "pattern" I see here is the one where this show is an amalgamation of ideas from other hit shows in an attempt to grab an easily impressed audience and make some quick money for the studio. It has nothing to keep you coming back except the curiosity to find out why some people seem to like it so much. The creator J.J. Abrams is also doing the new star trek.

I've bent over backwards and given the show 3 weeks to suck me in. I can do bad TV as long as it's not too stupid, or the characters intrigue me. I've stuck with "Prison Break," because of the characters, although I'm hanging on by a thread. I've stuck with "24" because it moves so fast and furiously and throws in so many curves I don't have time to suspend disbelief.

Now I've had it with the "Fringe." There's only one character I like and that's the main guy, and he has no business in the show. His only reason for being there is to act as a balance for his crazy father, and yet they have him acting like Torv's FBI partner. He has no discernible professional reason for being part of the group. His humor is the best thing in the show.

Then there's the cute FBI agent in the lab, who has no science skills, and who seems to be there to look cute. Then there's the crazy scientist whose crazy as a loon, until he's focused on doing some sci-fi magic, thanks to a bunch of machinery that's been rusting away in a lab for 3 decades, but now seems to be just right for every wacky project that comes their way.

The sci fi is ludicrous! It doesn't have to be accurate, obviously - it's fiction - but it has to be believable.

It has to be semi rational. In the last show a guy gets on a bus, puts on a gas mask, gases the entire bus, then waits for the bus driver to crash so he can get off with something he's stolen. Excuse me? You're going to risk your life on a careening bus? They love to show people with bulging veins, a la "scanners," who then survive what would certainly result in a brain hemmorhage.

Worst show ever

Now, I've seen many bad movies, bad shows, but this one..... blows away everything.

It starts with cool 2 hour premiere, with car explosion that cost millions, you get involved in something called 'the pattern'.....

And then beautifully, the show transforms from mildly interesting, to utter crap. EVERY cliché, and I am not exaggerating, you have ever seen in Sci-fi, it's in this thing they call TV show.

The story of each episode goes like this: there are evil guys who do bad stuff in the begging, whit some technology made from 'fringe' science. Then, you get fight scenes, horrible, HORRIBLE acting from Anna Torv, and some endless chatter between the main guy and his mad scientist type father. Then, the mad scientist somewhere about 5-7 minutes before the end of the said episode finds out that he's been working on the SAME thing bad guys use, and he fights them with his counter weapon. That's it. That actually might be 'the pattern'. :)) If you are reading this, and say, that's not bad, believe me, after watching 15 episodes (that's how much i got myself to watch before i reconsidered the value of my life) of that same crap, you'll definitely change your mind.

Another thing that pisses me off, is the guys comparing this to X-Files. Don't, please. I want it to be back to, I'm great fan of it, I love Moulder and Scully, but PLEASE, don't draw parallels between a legendary series and this junk...

It says here the lowest is 1... shame....

judging from these observations i'll skip this one as well (the x-files comparison seems quite overstretched)

watch the real deal instead:

The X-Files (1993) (TV series)
The X Files (1998) aka The X Files: Fight the Future
The X Files: I Want to Believe (2008) weak/passable

Instab
19.02.12, 03:16
(the x-files comparison seems quite overstretched)
i didn't say it's as good as x-files but given the plot it's the closest

anon
19.02.12, 04:25
We have a TV section :geek:

Well, I watched the first season and I liked it. There's action and suspense. There were days when I watched three episodes in a row (usually I do one per day, even with the entire boxset at hand) just to see how the plot would develop. The guy that plays Walter does it well, the character is funny at times.

Sadly I never got around watching the other seasons due to schoolwork and/or laziness.

Instab
19.02.12, 18:07
Sadly I never got around watching the other seasons dü to schoolwork and/or laziness.
that's a pity because the first season was the weakest. season two also had weak episodes in between but was better. however season three brought it to a whole new level and the current season four was able to sustain that level so far

DarkSaibot v.1.3.10
22.02.12, 00:39
the last season ( curent one ) was totally with no connection with the others seasons beside peter , to many paralel univers , get confussing , peter was erased but action was in the same universe memory came back or different parale universe ? to many questions..beside that in the third season the other Olivia had a child with peter..season 4 no story releated to that

Instab
22.02.12, 01:36
in the third season the other Olivia had a child with peter..season 4 no story releated to that
yes because dü to the fact that peter was erased from the time line that never happened

olabird
22.02.12, 04:01

I know what you mean.. I started with the first season of House M.D. but an eccentric doctor solving puzzling medical cases wasn't really my type.

DarkSaibot v.1.3.10
22.02.12, 11:59
yes because due to the fact that peter was erased from the time line that never happened

yes but right now the directions of story is that memoris will come back since peter is back , or is just only on olivia ...see, to complicated, if the memories will be back to all ..child should be back :D..also nina taking care of olivia is a total confussing BS

yoco
22.02.12, 12:01
I know what you mean.. I started with the first season of House M.D. but an eccentric doctor solving puzzling medical cases wasn't really my type.
You don't like House??? OMG!!! :biggrin:

SBfreak
22.02.12, 19:13
Some people say there are too many product placements in this show.I tend to agree.
Brandspotters.com (http://www.brandspotters.com/episodes.aspx?id=475)

I feel the same.Never really liked House.My mom loves it though.

I'll be waiting for my yoco hammer.

yoco
22.02.12, 22:48
I'll be waiting for my yoco hammer.
:bash:

:lool:

atlantis
23.02.12, 09:55
Supernatural+fringe=EPIC

mirrormask
30.04.12, 01:15
fringe has been renewed for a 5th and final season!

'Fringe' Renewed for Fifth and Final Season - Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fringe-renewed-fifth-season-317063)

gu5t3r
30.04.12, 02:25
Waiting May 11, 2012, for season 4 to finish so I can have another Fringe marathon =)

Instab
10.05.12, 11:01
renewed for the final 5th season :D

kabster
13.05.12, 20:19
Well , i can vouch and recommend both of these series to anyone that is into sci-fi / mistery :wink2:

Fringe = untouched DVD-9 (Multi-Language = Auch in Deutsch und für Gehörschadigt :klatsch_3: )is beeing uploaded @ tpb currently :mburns:

p.s: @any mod that can make a difference, i know i've been in absent but why deactivate / suspend this account ?
Please redeem :00de_rip: this account why won't ya :top:

cheers,

Instab
13.05.12, 21:05
@any mod that can make a difference, i know i've been in absent but why deactivate / suspend this account ?
Please redeem :00de_rip: this account why won't ya :top:
if you're totally inactive for a very long time then accounts are demoted automatically

kabster
13.05.12, 22:08
**snip demoted snap **

Yep, that word right about ........................there ↑ is the keyword and therefor the result of my absence unfortunately :popohaue: !!

i won't make any promisis, but i tend to do something about that :sbi:

Good to see you still are alive and kickin backstab :dj:

cherriepoopers,

SpartakusMd
14.05.12, 15:58
It's in my Next to watch list. I hope it will be interesting...

gu5t3r
14.05.12, 18:39
It's in my Next to watch list. I hope it will be interesting...

It is and it will =)

Watching 4th season currently...

yoco
03.10.12, 15:01
I just watched S02E11 and can someone explain WTF just happened in this episode? Why was there agent Francis? So confused!

anon
03.10.12, 16:43
I thought exactly the same thing. Turns out the episode was filmed before his death, but delayed.

yoco
03.10.12, 22:53
lol, that's just fu*ked up! What did they think, viewers won't notice it?

yoco
28.10.12, 11:12
I finished with season 3 last week, watching season 4, almost done, and I must admit, I don't like it! I prefer first two seasons.

DarkSaibot v.1.3.10
28.10.12, 13:19
fringe..from a 9 grade show turned to a 7 grade show ...starting to piss me off..don't want to elaborate very much the reason because i don't want to create spoilers :D..one reasons is because after the first 3 seasons things started to be very complicated and hard to understand / follow the story between seasons ..in season 5 ..i don't even start to explain ...dissapointing ..season 5 episode 4 VERY DISSAPOINTING :baeh:

yoco
28.10.12, 22:53
That's what I was afraid off. They complicate things for no reason at all! Still hoping last season won't be that bad as you say!

DarkSaibot v.1.3.10
29.10.12, 12:43
beside that complicate things to much with little explanation about how things become so complicated ..in season 5 they create a character from nowhere..keep the character 4-5 episodes ..you start to like very much the character and after that the character die to be disappointment even bigger i quess , rewind the shows only with the same old characters ..nothing new..i hate this in tv-shows when they are to scared to change things and remain 6-7 seasons the same

yoco
29.10.12, 13:27
I guess that's what J.J.Abrams does. Creates good 1st season then fu*ks everything up!

yoco
01.11.12, 22:56
Finished with season 4. Now waiting for last season to end so I can watch it, but I doubt it will change my opinion on this show!

Instab
02.11.12, 03:15
for me the first season was by far the weakest. no bigger picture, not much going on in the background and each episode was on its own. it felt like a tame copy of x-files.

DarkSaibot v.1.3.10
22.11.12, 11:57
they saved the show a lil'bit with peter observer upgrade :D

anon
17.03.13, 05:26
Is season 5 worth watching? I've heard it takes place on a completely different setting compared to S04.

yoco
17.03.13, 11:22
I'd like to know that as well! I have it on my HDD but not sure if it's worth my time.

Instab
18.03.13, 21:33
Is season 5 worth watching? I've heard it takes place on a completely different setting compared to S04.

I'd like to know that as well! I have it on my HDD but not sure if it's worth my time.

season 5 couldn't keep up with 4 or 3 in any way. it wasn't that bad either but coming from season 4 you gotta lower your expectations quite a bit

yoco
18.03.13, 22:54
LOL, what were they thinking then??? I really liked first season, and now hearing this is just sad! I guess I'll watch it eventually!

Instab
18.03.13, 23:53
LOL, what were they thinking then??? I really liked first season
if you liked the first season then season 5 is not such a big difference but season 3 and 4 were a completely different level

anon
19.03.13, 01:03
Alright, I didn't predownload the entire thing like yoco, so I think I will grab S05E01 and see if I like it :wsmile:

anon
12.07.13, 04:15
I finished watching season 5 today, and the answer to my question above is yes. The setting is completely different from the usual and that might take a little time to get used to, but the attractive of the series remains.

The finale was so moving...

yoco
05.04.14, 22:49
I finally watched final season :D
Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! :P I still think first season is by far best!