PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus

yoco
19.12.11, 23:04
Release Date: June 8, 2012
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Ridley Scott
Screenwriter: Damon Lindelof, Jon Spaihts, Ridley Scott
Starring: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Sean Harris, Kate Dickie, Logan Marshall-Green, Patrick Wilson
Genre: Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: Not Available

Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe. The film takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life's ultimate mystery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnlFIBNy8ko

atlantis
20.12.11, 12:52
Maybe the movie will be good but this trailer suxx soo hard

leechmodder
20.12.11, 17:21
This is just the trailer of the trailer(Actually, it's the announcement of the date). The official trailer will be released on thursday.

yoco
20.12.11, 22:55
Yes indeed, that was my fault, I thought it was a teaser, but it's just a promo for a trailer. Check back in a few days, I'll post the real trailer then! :)

slikrapid
20.12.11, 23:20
Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe.

big words, but what about the final result? ;)

and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life's ultimate mystery.

ROFLMAO
yeah, sure, the 'truth is out there', buried in the depths of the universe, waiting for our 'valiant' scientists to uncover one day in the distant future - as long as one believes such nonsense (on multiple levels, see the note below) and patiently waits for their 'discoveries' it is quite easy to forget to search in the most obvious of places: one's own self

note:

- truth is 'out there'? the truth must also be 'in here', meaning: everywhere
- buried in the depths of the universe? what about buried in the depths of your own being? what about hidden in plain sight? meaning: its not the truth that is hidden, it is you that is currently unable to perceive it ('looking' in the wrong place, using the wrong methods or reasoning, having the wrong attitude/state)
- 'valiant' scientists? i'm afraid many of them have become slaves of their own dogmas, conformist to the established authoritative views/opinions/theories, dependent (and thus controlled or at least susceptible to it or sufficiently insecure to dare raising their voice) regarding financial donations/support, concerning their working positions & careers
- scientists uncovering ultimate truths? to be able to do that they would need ultimate tools - obviously, scientific tools (theories, measuring equipment, computers, models, math) of any era cannot reach a point where they will become perfect enough to 'measure' perfection (something that is ultimate or absolute or fundamental), ie. for this kind of task they are pretty much useless
- one day in the distant future? aka delaying tactics

The title of the upcoming film, now in post-production,[5] is an allusion to the Titan god, Prometheus, of Greek mythology, who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humankind - an act which brought eternal punishment upon the god. While actually being the name of the humans' spaceship in the story,[6] the name "Prometheus" is used in a greater metaphorical sense

apply the same logic as above to the fire and you'll notice how this glorified story or more correctly its implications/allusions crumble to pieces

leechmodder
20.12.11, 23:31
@yoco
I was referring to atlantis's comment that the trailer sucks so hard. I am glad you posted this promo.

yoco
23.12.11, 13:41
As promised, here's the real deal! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPW015u8m-g

atlantis
24.12.11, 14:20
It seems they copied some things from Alien 1

yoco
24.12.11, 22:55
But overall, did you guys like the trailer? I was rather disappointed. I was expecting at least two minutes long!

Instab
25.12.11, 15:20
:w00t: this looks exactly as i love it. the looks, the kind of tech, the atmosphere ... perfect for me. maybe that's gonna be the best thing since the alien series :D

shawshankraj
12.01.12, 05:23
I really like the trailer,atmosphere look like more from aliens2 than aliens.Background music justify the atmosphere..Looking forward to this.

yoco
12.01.12, 16:10
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't expect much from this movie! :)

shawshankraj
12.01.12, 19:00
have you seen the original alien by Ridley scott...?

yoco
12.01.12, 22:52
Yes I saw all of them! My favorite is the second one. I love it!

jezuis
12.01.12, 23:24
hmmm looks nice this movie, i like theses sci fi ones.... btw, i watch alien when i was little and just remember the scene with sigourney weaver clones ^^ but seeing u all speaking about i ll try again ^^

Instab
13.01.12, 03:27
Yes I saw all of them! My favorite is the second one. I love it!
+1

how can you then not get goosebumps while watching that trailer? :P

shawshankraj
01.03.12, 14:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2BxH-xwc9M

Conceived and designed by Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof and directed by Luke Scott, this piece was created for TED. It is not a scene from the movie. The piece provides a look into what may lay ahead, as well as important backstory into the mythology explored in Prometheus.

Instab
02.03.12, 07:56
that trailer is pure goosebumps for all alien fans :top:

slikrapid
05.03.12, 22:02
@trailer:

without hurting himself whatsoever? he would be hurting his skin just like anyone else, unless ofc he was using some other tricks like special colorless substances for the fingers, fire-retardants, etc.

the trick is not minding it hurts? more correctly: its about not allowing to be influenced/controlled by bodily reactions (in this case: the sudden urge to move the hand due to excessive heat), the so-called 'mind over matter', however to really test that one, something a bit stronger than a match would be needed, no?

steal fire? you can't 'steal' fire, you can cause/'create' it, 'invent'/discover it, 'harness'/use it, etc. - the story isn't primarily about fire anyways, its about 'stealing' from deities, despising them for their power, envying them and desiring the same - thats basically what these fanatical characters are searching for: a way to achieve superhuman power and then use it as they please (usually to dominate over others and play games with their lives), calling it 'scientific research for all kinds of benevolently sounding improvements', justifying it with evolution or similar hollow theories, hence the current race for technological advancement, which ofc will eventually lead to their own destruction, as such endeavors have no essential values, they are yet another empty/hollow prize to race/fight for, to motivate millions of others to follow suit, to follow the (seemingly or not) deluded leaders

fire, a piece of technology? lol

year of our lord? i wonder which one would that be or how does it combine with all those greek ones

create cybernetic individuals? roflmao - the correct term might be: cybernetic automatons

indistinguishable from us? you mean indistinguishable to our limited bodily senses :P bottom line: technology cannot create a person, it can only mimic its behavior, use the appearance to mask/hide/cover the essence

we are the gods now? lets just conclude that you don't become a god by mimicking gods, just like a robot doesn't become a human by doing the same a human would or by having biological tissue implants (not to mention how it might be a bit difficult to explain/define/know what exactly a god is or does anyways), that would be simple role-playing (superficial, obscuring the essential)

peter weyland? notice his surname, which suspiciously resembles that of: wayland, confusing things a bit more:

In Germanic and Norse mythology...is a legendary master blacksmith.

i'd like to change the world? duh...it changes constantly, with or without such hilarious speeches

that trailer is pure goosebumps for all alien fans

umm, not at all
it was decent (acting-wise), though clueless (contents-wise), far from the alien quadrilogy (atmosphere-wise, entertainment-wise) and without that surname hardly anyone would connect this to the 'alien universe'

btw, the repetitive usage of the name 'bishop' throughout the alien sequels was likely meant as: the authoritative preacher of the current/upcoming age (of technology)

Instab
06.03.12, 05:24
umm, not at all
it was decent (acting-wise), though clüless (contents-wise), far from the alien quadrilogy (atmosphere-wise, entertainment-wise) and without that surname hardly anyone would connect this to the 'alien universe'
it is because of the last few seconds. it's a great addition to the alien movies' related history therefore it's of course not in the same style as the movies themselves

yoco
17.03.12, 22:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cq7Z3pqJ4dY

Instab
18.03.12, 07:21
i can't remember when a movie made me that hot :P

yoco
18.03.12, 09:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HHcHYisZFLU

shawshankraj
18.03.12, 18:47
awesome specially soundtrack...

yoco
19.03.12, 18:25
awesome specially soundtrack...
Sorry to disappoint you buddy but this isn't movie soundtrack, it's music for trailer use only!

shawshankraj
18.04.12, 03:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DOOJl5lWNfM

yoco
30.04.12, 23:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1byZkbNB3Jw

SealLion
10.06.12, 01:16
I just watched this movie this weekend and I was quite disappointed with Ridley Scott's film because the hype that accompanies so many of the film industry's summer flicks did entice me to go and watch it. In the end, if not already during the start and middle of the show's screening, I already was disappointed. You see a couple of scientists that rush in and instead of proceeding slowly and examining scientifically some of their physical finds, they just rush in and come to conclusions without any supportive evidence.

I also didn't like the acting. Very poor indeed. Most especially Noomi Rapace, one of the archeologists. This goes for the 2 guys who died in the 'alien pod' room. I was actually glad to see drop from the story itself. Can't recall the actors names and considering my opinion of the film's poverty in quality, I guess it doesn't matter.

The storyline and plot was pretty much what the reviews said it would be of but it was totally out to lunch. Didn't agree with it; however, personal views are not relevant I guess.
The film.

I did however like the special effects. They were good.
The music that accompanied the film was not too bad and for sure the classical music that came with the film's ending was....I don't know what to think of. It was definitely different for sure. Did not expect that.

The ending of the film was definitely a surprise. That is with the birth of the alien creature synonymous with the Aliens film chronology. It was a different take on it. However, not everything of the film's ending was that great. Basically, Elizabeth Shaw flies off in a spaceship to her death considering that the aliens are out to destroy planet Earth anyways.

IMHO, not worth the money I spent. It made me actually think I should have downloaded it; however, since I'm on public wifi for the next little while it's not always possible.

Instab
10.06.12, 02:47
just to get a better impression, did you like the original alien flicks? and the story around them like weyland yutani and all?

yoco
10.06.12, 11:48
I just recently found out that this movie isn't a prequel to first one as they said it would be, but just another alien movie. So after that I kind of didn't really care, even if Scott directed it.

slikrapid
10.06.12, 14:11
I just watched this movie this weekend and I was quite disappointed with Ridley Scott's film

i recently checked a few imdb reviews that were convincing while describing this movie as a pale attempt to re-ignite the alien-related franchise(s), it sounded as if it was made in a quite unprofessional/sloppy/careless way, insulting the viewer's intelligence much more than what could be considered forgivable, especially considering the genre, experienced director and the audience expectations - naturally, that which is of lesser relevance, like cgi, was well taken care of, as expected from a large-scale project

so i'm pretty skeptical about the outcome, but will check it out nevertheless...in the usual way ;)

as for the original alien movies, the whole quadrilogy was very entertaining, each movie in its own way
as for the weyland corporation & co. part, it was satisfactory (even if cliched), without distracting too much from the main theme, that is, the aliens
as for the 'prequel or not' topic, i'd say this is really secondary since nowadays its hard enough to find a decently entertaining or competent movie, let alone have demands (or expectations) regarding its subject matter specifics

...riddle me this, riddle me that, who's the next famous director turning into an 'old bat'?
uh...take your pick (as in: there are so many) :tongue:

SealLion
10.06.12, 14:56
just to get a better impression, did you like the original alien flicks? and the story around them like weyland yutani and all?

Yes. I think I did enjoy the original alien films a bit more than this one when making a comparisons between the 2. The alien films just seemed to have a better chronology and storyline woven into them that seemed a bit more believable than Prometheus did. With the alien chronology films, I don't recall the actors barging in on some conclusion like they did here with this one. With Prometheus, it was totally unrealistic. The story's actors came to these theoretical conclusions without any real supportive evidence. The way these things carried themselves within the story-line's content including the general storyline itself was all rush-rush. I couldn't help but think 'how dumb this is'.

As for Weyland Yutani, for me this is kind of a toss-up in the air. There was some resemblance of Star Wars theme when Vickers in a scene says "yes, father" resembling Luke Skywalker's relationship with Darth Vader. That was the first thing that popped into my mind after hearing those words and making what I couldn't help, a connection between those 2 films. And even then, this was kind of a cheap and pathetic attempt to include some mystery and conclusiveness into Prometheus.

As for the continuing saga of the Weyland Yutani thing, it was almost a waste of effort to include this into Prometheus. In the Alien's chronology, Weyland Yutani had a better and more realistic inclusion. In Prometheus, the inclusion was not very well done. Again, it felt rushed. Weyland Yutani is a conglomerate of company founder Charles Bishop Weyland. So what's up with the older fellow that was portrayed in this one?? I don't get it. :frown:

so i'm pretty skeptical about the outcome, but will check it out nevertheless...in the usual ways

I'd think twice on watching this film, slik. It's not even worth the bandwidth or money spent. Don't be surprised you come out disappointed.

Instab
11.06.12, 20:37
damn that really dösn't sound good. as a big fan of the franchise i'm very excited about this and the small youtube flicks about WY made me even hotter :P
looking at the trailers at least the style is right which is something already. anyhow i güss i'll know soon enough because that is something i will download and watch no matter what :D

mazmart
12.06.12, 14:21
nah. It wasn't so good as i expected

SealLion
13.06.12, 04:10
damn that really doesn't sound good. as a big fan of the franchise i'm very excited about this and the small youtube flicks about WY made me even hotter :P
looking at the trailers at least the style is right which is something already. anyhow i guess i'll know soon enough because that is something i will download and watch no matter what :D

For sure it's best to download, Instab rather than go to the theaters as I did.
I can't believe I shelled out 13 bucks for this flick!! What a waste.
Popcorn itself is more appetizing than this film.
The trailers always look better than what any film will present. I'm sure you know that already. But this one takes the cake. It's bloody awful.

Buy hey!! For a weekend afternoon spending time doing one of your past-times, I guess it's ok in some respects. As mentioned above, the CGI and FX are still good though. :smile:

yoco
13.06.12, 11:02
I guess I dodged a bullet then :biggrin:
I was planning on going to watch it in theater! Now I'll just wait a bit longer then download it!

Instab
13.06.12, 12:53
The trailers always look better than what any film will present. I'm sure you know that already.
i didn't mean the usual trailers but those short extra movies like the speech of weyland. those not directly related to the movie

cirulilu
13.06.12, 13:13
I had high expectations for this this movie. but it looks like it's just another piece of hollywood trash. i don't know whether i should bother downloading it.

shawshankraj
13.06.12, 14:34
I guess I dodged a bullet then :biggrin:
I was planning on going to watch it in theater! Now I'll just wait a bit longer then download it!

It's not that bad..If you compare it to Original Alien then it sucks...

yoco
13.06.12, 22:46
It's not that bad..If you compare it to Original Alien then it sucks...
Love first two movies, so if compares to them, it sucks! :biggrin:

SealLion
14.06.12, 04:03
i didn't mean the usual trailers but those short extra movies like the speech of weyland. those not directly related to the movie

Oh, ok. You mean the ones from Shawankraj's posts #17 and #26 as examples??
Ya. Those are different and I do like those myself. That kind of soliloquy of sorts or monologue that David does is different. He's not boasting of course, he's just giving the hearer some discourse on his abilities and I swear he almost has me convinced. LOL.

Instab
14.06.12, 23:40
Oh, ok. You mean the ones from Shawankraj's posts #17 and #26 as examples??
Ya. Those are different and I do like those myself. That kind of soliloquy of sorts or monologü that David dös is different. He's not boasting of course, he's just giving the hearer some discourse on his abilities and I swear he almost has me convinced. LOL.
exactly i really like a thorough background plot

Blocker
17.06.12, 20:32
Yesterday I watched this movie in the theater and Its really good in my opinion :smile:

Worth to watch if you like sci-fi movies

3D version is awesome!

SealLion
17.06.12, 21:29
What did you find most interesting about the film, Blocker??
How did you find the holographic presentations of the film?? Other than the 'rush-rush. Let's get this film done' production part of it, the holographic parts were decent though.

Blocker
18.06.12, 02:21
What did you find most interesting about the film, Blocker??
How did you find the holographic presentations of the film?? Other than the 'rush-rush. Let's get this film done' production part of it, the holographic parts were decent though.

Yeah the holographic scenes are awesome but what I most enjoyed were the plot about finding the clues of the beginning of the human beings,the space ships,space suit ,art design, scenery,Visual F/X,in some moments I think I was watching a mix of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars and Alien .I think Ridley Scott left me breathless in some moments and also a kind of bitter sweet flavour because of some ideas of Alien's films even in the movie this idea is shown too remarkable in a scene.
I feel is a nice flick obviously not a masterpiece.
Good and decent movie in my opinion!

SealLion
18.06.12, 05:54
There's one point where I do have to disagree with you, old friend. And that is regarding this 'origin' of the human race, which I guess isn't really reverent within this topic; however, where I do have to disagree with you on is that part of film production in which the characters came to this conclusion without any scientific discussion or 'backed-up' theories to support their claim. I just felt it to be so rushed as I've briefly mentioned above. Basically, it just looked like this elite group of anthropologists making a closed-circle conclusion without there being any input from peers. Which I am sure you know is the usual route for any one working in a scientific field when wanting to seek and establish support for what-ever theory they want to put forward. In this film, it was basically the husband and wife anthropologist team along with the old guy who themselves strongly believed their own idea regardless if others felt they were a bunch of quacks or not. For sure it was not a masterpiece but for sure the F/X was great too. I also did like the F/X. Glad you liked the show though. Entertainment is better than critique.

Instab
19.06.12, 03:54
There's one point where I do have to disagree with you, old friend. And that is regarding this 'origin' of the human race, which I güss isn't really reverent within this topic; however, where I do have to disagree with you on is that part of film production in which the characters came to this conclusion without any scientific discussion or 'backed-up' theories to support their claim. I just felt it to be so rushed as I've briefly mentioned above. Basically, it just looked like this elite group of anthropologists making a closed-circle conclusion without there being any input from peers. Which I am sure you know is the usual route for any one working in a scientific field when wanting to seek and establish support for what-ever theory they want to put forward.
if we wanna apply realistic procedures for a moment although it's a scifi movie.

scientific enterprises if funded by the industry are often on a very tight schedule and aimed at specific goals. a proper workflow often is not followed the way one would think or might do if the circumstances were different. even more so in some cases that's not even wanted at all but instead getting to a certain point at any cost.
i have not seen the movie yet but an expedition commissioned by a company like weyland yutani could very well go on exactly like that

SealLion
20.06.12, 01:32
I would definitely agree with you if a scientific enterprise is funded by an industry and for sure it would not delineate much if at all from the chosen targeted goal, though how about if it wasn't funded by an industrial enterprise?? I'm of the opinion it might not necessarily go the direction some might intend to go let alone go a slower pace. Anyways, you said it well. :smile:

slikrapid
20.06.12, 22:10
@Instab:

if we wanna apply realistic procedures for a moment although it's a scifi movie.

actually, thats an important part which qualifies it as SF, plausible 'realism' within an imaginary setting

scientific enterprises if funded by the industry are often on a very tight schedule and aimed at specific goals.

depends on their research (field, short/long term, goals,...) - in this case, research regarding 'the origins of mankind' is obviously something not doable on a (very) tight schedule, let alone with a handful of 'researchers'

a proper workflow often is not followed the way one would think or might do if the circumstances were different

whatever improvisation/deviation is made, the tendency is still to come as near as possible to the 'proper workflow' or at least catch-up with it asap afterwards, especially regarding organized enterprises

an expedition commissioned by a company like weyland yutani could very well go on exactly like that

ofc, there is always a scenario (however improbable) where all those inconsistencies may indeed occur, but that kind of lazy/weak scriptwriting shouldn't be a part of big-budget projects (or any other aspiring ones for that matter), if they want to uphold their reputation, that is

slikrapid
16.09.12, 23:15
expect spoilers, what else?

so i saw it the other day and i'd say it turned out pretty good, in fact it seems to be currently the best SF movie made this year (which doesn't say much since others were pretty bad) - its true what they say about many plot holes, somewhat sub-par acting, silly ideas about human origins, a less haunting atmosphere (that made the first alien movie extraordinary) and having weak action scenes (which were a big part of alien 2) - still, if one is not too picky it offers an enjoyable ride, it feels like an expedition into the unknown (which is its best aspect, apart from the very well done cgi), an adventure with occasional (more or less mild) thrills, though it does get rushed towards the end, with unbelievable (action) events coming one after another and a finish that is partially satisfying: the alien connection (alien 1 scene) was nice, the destroy-the-earth part was silly and they just had to leave it incomplete (awaiting a sequel?), anyways, it was fun to watch though i still think movies from the alien quadrilogy were better (more enjoyable)

some observations:
- notice how the actor playing the robot looks like, must be every eugenicist's/technocrat's/supremacist's wet dream lol
- those scanner-spheres were pretty cool, as well as most of the holographic stuff
- thrives on the idea that humans have ET origins, wanting to meet their 'maker', which is quite infantile/ignorant
- repeatedly plays with the phrase 'thats what i chose to believe' which sounds catchy enough though its quite meaningless since 'choosing to believe' doesn't make it real, its just another hypothesis, the 'believer' simply gave-up on practically testing his 'belief', a valid belief has to be practically verifiable, otherwise its an exercise in futility since every evidence, no matter how relevant, that conflicts with the belief will just be ignored and censored-out, which is obviously not recommended if one is sincerely looking for answers

i'll use an imdb review to make additional comments:

1. The dreams sequence. David can watch Shaw's dreams. Amazingly this technology also cuts from scene to scene like a movie camera...Please. No one dreams like that.

agreed, not necessary, it does however hint at a similar idea as 'your mind is the crime scene' (from 'inception') so i'd say that one was used on purpose

2. How did they randomly find the temple so quick? This is an entire planet surface!

a quick surface scan would have solved that, but its irrelevant

3. Why was the landing so soft and easy?

irrelevant

4. Why does Fifield start screaming at Shaw like that? Calm down mate..jeez..And later on with an Alien cobra he is cool as ice.

these guys were more like a cross between some 3rd-rate space marines or mercenaries and adventurers, definitely less like scientists, nothing major, lets call it their 'charming personality'

5. Why does that moron Buddy Holly scientist try and touch the cobra alien? not once....not twice...but 3 TIMES!!!

its forgivable because of the pretty cool death scenes after that

6. Why on earth would a scientist remove their helmets in a possibly infected temple? I am just a civilian and even I understand the concept of VIRUS CONTAMINATION ON AN ALIEN FRIGGIN PLANET. They then have the cheek to talk about Shaw's strict quarantine fail-safe procedures...please

true, it was like cowboy-science (just like the exploding head scene), however if a member gets infected, they still have to (try to) help him, not leave him outside or just burn him alive!

7. What does this Black Goo do exactly? Accelerate worm growth? Infect crew members? Cause pregnancies? Create life? Pick one and stick to it please

black goo 1: infects a host, spreads rapidly, destroys the host
black goo 2: infects a host, grows rapidly into a creature, destroys the host, reproduces/multiplies, destroys a planet's species, clear enough?
black? goo 0: creates (is the origin of) all life on earth? ROFLMAO

8. Why does Ford straight away start giving the head electricity for kicks? Do they not have procedures? What is this fun with Frankenstein?
9. Why does the head explode?

yeah, non intrusive tests come first and its a very slow process, it was a good effect though (the deformation/explosion)

10. Why are the medical staff so damn careless with a possibly disease ridden and bacteria infested decapitated head? I swear they didn't even wear plastic gloves.

the machine 'said' it was clean

11. How did Shaw know the Jockey was heading to Earth to destroy it? Pretty big assumption from a couple of punches thrown.

because of the many containers it had (military bio-weapons testing facility) + the holographic trajectory - the flute part was ridiculous, not to mention how the robot managed to figure-out the language/symbols so fast (that just doesn't happen)

12. How does David know the Space Jockey is heading to kill Shaw on the Medical Bay?

plot hole, though he did try killing everyone else around (robot intuition? hehe)

13. How does Shaw know her baby will attack the Jockey?

female intuition? ;)
was expecting for the jokey to give a better fight, but pretty much all scenes with him were sub-par, we expect something interesting from such characters, duh!

14. i was really amazed that Shaw has this 'baby' but fails to mention the horrific and super extraordinary situation she had just been through. ''oh hey guys, ha ha, nearly forgot. FYI, you won't believe what just happened to me on the way here''....''i just gave birth to an alien..'' ''yeah, i know CRAZY right, considering i had sex only 10 BLOODY HRS AGO!!''

she barely survived, its hardly a story-telling time + there was another shock in seeing the 'boss' on-board

15. -The whole Vickers' Star Wars 'Father' line...

children are so insecure these days, the robot had a cynical remark like that too (about killing their parents & being free)

16. -The 'bet' between the co-pilots was cringe-worthy

whatever

17. HUGE ONE…How the hell does Shaw walk after abdominal surgery? If abdominal muscle is cut you can NOT walk, the muscle needs to be sewn back…But no, a few staples and she is good to go…

not only walk (run, fall, roll-around, handle heavy objects, you name it) and no blood on the stapled! area, huge fail indeed

18. Why does the tentacle creature have tentacles from the evil Planet X?

even worse, how the hell does it grow so large & strong from nothing (no food), but the same problem plagued alien as well (little food)

19. Why do the space jockeys allow any old tramp to walk in an use their security systems?

coz' they are a superior race, or so they thought hehe

20. Why does the space jockey want to kill, kill and kill…You'd think an advanced race would be a little civilised?

exactly (could be a theme in the sequel), though military personnel isn't exactly known for their manners

21. What was the point of Guy Pearce as Weyland? Why was he even there? So he just assumed this temple would contain a fountain of life…..right….I guess he 'chose to believe' too…f**k me…

he didn't have a better option as he was dying, it was basically a one man's quest for life-extension (or better if possible), deciphering human origins was secondary

SealLion
16.09.12, 23:36
@ slik: I do agree with you on the idea this movie brings on that human origins are of ET origins being immature and not very well or thoroughly thought out on. I also agree on the cgi effects. Those were good. But is it just the expedition into the unknown aspect of it that you liked along with the occasional thrilling ride of adventure?? Or were there other elements?? What did you think of the cgi of the aliens that they showed?? I thought that, that part was well made. Other than that and a few other portions of the film, I myself didn't really care all that much for the so called rushed science part of it.

slikrapid
17.09.12, 01:07
But is it just the expedition into the unknown aspect of it that you liked along with the occasional thrilling ride of adventure?? Or were there other elements?? What did you think of the cgi of the aliens that they showed?? I thought that, that part was well made. Other than that and a few other portions of the film, I myself didn't really care all that much for the so called rushed science part of it

i liked the overall feeling it had during the, lets say, first 2/3 of the movie, it reminded me slightly of the first alien (atmosphere-wise), it was futuristic enough, wasn't hell-bent on action, had a good flow and a sense of mystery, delivered on several thrilling/'gory' occasions, but it wasn't polished or well crafted enough to be called a masterpiece, there wasn't a sense of competent inspiration at work, guess ridley is not in his prime but still has some juice left inside ;)

regarding the alien cgi the quality varied, the bald-headed ones were mostly average, the 'monsters' were better, decent enough i suppose

other good stuff of perhaps minor relevance includes things like:
- pretty good-looking & subdued/menacing presence of charlize theron
- funny moments between her and the captain
- good acting effort on showing painful survival attempts by the 'shaw' character (especially during & post-op)
- robot's posture & 'narcissism' lol

Instab
17.09.12, 07:01
i loved it :P
for any fan of the franchise it's just a must. the info it gives on the whole alien story alone is essential. or for example the irony of the birth of the first alien the way we know them ...

overanalyzing and whatnot might not lead to much. it's just a movie that should make for two nice hours and that it dös for sure :top:

yoco
29.09.12, 10:55
Anyone knows if we can expect any "extended" edition?

slikrapid
29.09.12, 23:56
we might since greedy studios & directors with enormous ego's are interested in extending & re-igniting the hype around their products for as long as possible

currently there is a blu-ray 'extras' leak (alternate intro/outro, deleted scenes, some other videos) floating around, so it seems the actual extended cut might arrive later on (aka double dipping)

yoco
30.09.12, 11:48
Yea, I already downloaded these extras and deleted scenes. Will watch it later.
But I did watch the movie last night. And what a disappointment it was for me. OMG!!! :mad:
I love first two alien movies, and even thou I knew this was a prequel I still expected to be much better. The plot was so badly done, not to mention the ending!