PDA

View Full Version : A brief guide to Track Day riding your sports bike - By ME!

sprite
04.08.11, 03:05
This is a brief guide on how to ride your motorcycle on the track.

These tips can dramatically improve confidence and normal road handling, just don't let the confidence outweigh your skill set.

Section 1 - riding upright and straight

Feet:
Your feet should rest with the balls of your feet on the foot-pegs with your toes over the front, gripping. This is important for when you stick your knee out during a corner as the rotation of your ankle and foot from this position will allow you to maintain correct foot position during a corner. Cornering position - As you rotate your foot the ball should then be forward of the peg with your big toe and all other toes behind it.

Your left foot should only leave the position of rest during gear selection. Your right foot should only leave it's position of rest during the rare times of uber-braking.

Knees:
Knees should be used to grip your petrol tank at all times. This stabilises the bike and the rider, assising in aerodynamics. Knees play a large part in cornering (covered in section 2).

Bum, buttocks, arse, ass, rear-end etc...:
Your bum should remain central to your seat. It should not stray left or right of the seat during straight line riding or during light bends, this will upset balance. (In a more advanced guide I would explain fore and aft placement to shift weight to front and back (ask me if you want to know more) and that you should in-fact only properly sit down during a LONG straight (eg starting grid) as sitting is lazy does in-fact stabilise riding too much for quick reflexes)

Hands:
It is advisable to set your brake and clutch bite points to levels where you can use two fingers to retract the levers without hitting your other fingers still holding onto the handle bar. An easier alternative is to have your mechanic fit a 'shortie' or 'stub' style lever so that it only reaches as far as your index and middle finger. This is useful for quick changes whilst maintaining firm grip during fast acceleration.

Elbows:
Elbows are free to move unless during a long straight when you should be tucking them down to the sides of the petrol tank during low posture. This will feel natural due to the angular alignment of your handle bars and will provide a greater aerodynamics.

Head:
Your head should be tucked down as far as is comfortable. During light cornering it may be moved left or right to provide weight to one side to aid the balance of the bike when 'opposite steering' is applied to destabilise the bike. During straigh lines it should be tucked behind the wind shield for maximum aerodynamics.

Back:
In the basics your posture is not too important. It's more important you feel comfortable. A straight back will not feel comfortable or natural so do not try to maintain one. Relax.

Notes: Only brake hard in a straight line!

Section 2 - Cornering:

Braking:
Braking becomes an art form during a corner and is normally only used to avoid collision or to aid in changing a line to overtake. Normally engine braking or more aggressive learning is sufficient for line changes. Don't use the rear brake... ever.

Bum & Knee:
At a reasonable after heavy braking or during braking the bum should shift in the direction of the corner so that a minimum of one buttock is hanging off the seat. The knee should leave the side of the petrol tank in the direction of the corner. This will shift your weight over to the cornering side and the bike will follow and begin steering in that direction. The handlebar affects this process minimally.

NOTE: Do not feel that it's important to get your knee or 'sliders' on the floor. At this stage you have more important things to concentrate on. Putting your knee on the floor is something that happens naturally and is in-fact not a good thing anyway. Forcing your knee down de-stabilises the bike, creates friction turning kinetic energy into heat energy and also DISTRACTS YOU.

Feet:
As you have moved your knee out your foot should rotate naturally from its straight line position of rest into it's sideways position of rest with the ball of your foot and big toe in front of the peg & the other toes and foot behind it. Feet should only leave positions of rest during cornering for gear changes.

Head:
During cornering your head should rise from behind the wind shield to provide comfort and stability during heavy braking. When your knee and body move in the direction of the corner you will find it natural to move also your head in the same direction. During medium cornering your head can remain fairly aloft but during heavy cornering it is advised to keep it low to keep your centre of gravity low.

Elbows:
Elbow position is crass. Don't let anyone tell you there's a right way or a wrong way. There are many styles that have worked for many different legends.

---------------------

It's 1am here and I'm tired. If there's anything I've left out let me know and i'll add it.

Hope this all helps you, this is my contribution to your community as a new user.

SealLion
04.08.11, 03:13
Is this a copy/paste from some website because if it is it's more appropriate to have the direct link given for this??

I mean, I know that it says at the top " ...by ME " but I'm just wondering b/c there's so much info in addition to the topic being broken into 2 separate sections as you've listed.

sprite
04.08.11, 12:41
Is this a copy/paste from some website because if it is it's more appropriate to have the direct link given for this??

I mean, I know that it says at the top " ...by ME " but I'm just wondering b/c there's so much info in addition to the topic being broken into 2 separate sections as you've listed.

It's not from any website. It's been published here only, by me. I ride at Brands Hatch, Donnington and Silverstone. I also ride motocross at Canada Heights, Golding Barn etc.. etc.. So I can give tips on Off-road Riding too.

Apology accepted. ;]

SealLion
05.08.11, 04:20
There is one thing that I would like to add as I didn't see it, unless I missed it, and it's about counter-steering. I've done it myself many times and that maneuver, in itself did a world of wonders for me with respect to avoidance tactics.

Anyways. I should also apologize myself as I initially thought that it was a copy/paste thing. Hence my initial question and internal assumption. Anyways...it's water under the bridge so to speak.