PDA

View Full Version : IDM help

austin316
25.07.11, 02:28
Not sure if this is right place, but i need some help with IDM, basically when im downloading, it freezes my downloads and my speeds mess up, then its normal, then it freezes, you get what i mean. Anyway anyone got an anwser.

Khanna
25.07.11, 02:41
-Did you try re-installing, also download the latest version, don't know if you already did that.
-What OS are you using.
-Do other downloading programs work fine?

austin316
25.07.11, 03:04
ye torrents are fine, it is virtually new one, i have tried reinstalling numerous times but this issue keeps happening, just wanted to know if others have same issue.

Khanna
25.07.11, 03:09
what version are you using, I'm using 6.05 build 14 & it's fine on win 7 x64

also check your antivirus settings.

austin316
25.07.11, 03:15
im using 6.06 and on win 7. I think anti virus is fine, think it allows IDM

yoco
25.07.11, 17:28
I'm also using v6.06 (build 8) and it's working fine. Did you try installing the lower version?

Master Razor
25.07.11, 20:46
You mean it starts fast, then declines towards 0, then the speed climbs and lowers again?
Disable the antivirus, anti-spyware or any other real-time scanning program.
Also check your hdd usage by running performance monitor in win7. There's a tab there that will tell you what files are being accessed.

austin316
26.07.11, 00:33
ye exactly master it starts fasts, goes down then goes up. Also would it help disabling anti virus or antispyware. Also what does the performance monitor do and how do i access it.

Khanna
26.07.11, 01:37
I'm sorry maybe I misunderstood, what freezes exactly.
does the program itself freeze, like it's not responding.
or does the download speed freeze at 0 KB/s, if it is the latter make sure the problem isn't the site your downloading from, try downloading from Yahoo [any demo game], or YouTube & see what happens.

Also try saving downloaded files to another hdd.

austin316
26.07.11, 02:11
its the speeds that freeze. Basically it goes to any speed not always 0, it freezes then goes really fast and then freezes and so on this process continues.

Master Razor
26.07.11, 18:29
Try disabling your anti-virus and see if it's any change. If you not, try Khanna's advice: choose a different download folder (preferably on another HDD, if exists).
If all the above fail, try downloading the file with the built-in downloader in your browser (NOT IDM) and see if it still freezes. If I remember correctly, to download without IDM press and hold the ALT key while click on a download link.

The *resource monitor (sorry for the performance monitor) gives you detailed lists of processes that uses CPU, RAM, NETWORK and HDD activity but you don't need it right now. Please try the above and post back.

austin316
26.07.11, 19:15
Even with disabling anti virus it still freezes, also by choosing a different download folder, do you mean a different part of the HDD, as i have a c and d drive. Also just installed the newest version with IDM, but my anitvirus found something which was the crack and said my system is unprotected, but if i let it scan it deletes the file as it thinks its a trojan even though it isnt, could that be the reason why its freezing.

Master Razor
26.07.11, 19:45
No, it probably is a false positive (if you downloaded from a tracker). I mean a different letter, yes. If you tried C: (for example) then try any other letter. Probably won't work but let's try it also. Did you also try to download without IDM?

Do you have any other protection besides your anti-virus (anti-spyware etc) running in the background?
Try closing every program that is currently running such as yahoo messenger, utorrent etc. Close everything installed by you except IDM and your internet browser and try to download again.

LE: In IDM (I'm gonna guide you blindly as I don;t have this installed), goto settings, somewhere there's an option that specifies maximum number of download parts. Try to lower it to 2 or 3 and see if it's the same.

austin316
26.07.11, 23:28
I got malwarebytes but that is not running, i closed everything down including browser, but DAMN its still freezing and maximun number i have is 2 on IDM. I just dont understand why IDM is doing this, its supposed to work smoothly.

Khanna
27.07.11, 00:19
do what Master Razor told you try downloading with other programs see if the problem persists.
if it does then the problem is not IDM, it may be HDD, antivirus, virus, internet, usage, ....etc

austin316
27.07.11, 00:55
tried Jdownloader and FDM both of which sometimes freeze not as bad as IDM but those two give me terrible speeds, before anyone asks, i done speedtests showing im getting 30mb and i have downloaded torrents when i have download with IDM and others, and torrents seem fine. Same with when i download with chrome and firefox im getting really poor speeds there.

Master Razor
27.07.11, 18:44
You must have something that interferes with the disk. I do not think its IDM's fault at all. My guess is that what you're experiencing with IDM is also happening in utorrent, jdownloader etc. If this is true, then your HDD has a serious problem because it seems that it can't write.
Have your ever experienced this problem before? Any recent changes in pc configuration (new hardware)? Any recent slowdowns in windows (besides IDM)?

austin316
28.07.11, 23:33
I hope not, with jdownloader my speeds are always less than 100kbps even though my speed tests show 30mb speed. I thought IDM was at fault, plus utorrent downloads fine. So im really not sure what it is or what to do. Is it the HDD.

austin316
05.08.11, 00:43
Anyone got an anwser or have same problems with IDM like me. I am really annoyed and am stressing, any more feedback please.

EDIt sorry about double post.