PDA

View Full Version : The Thing

yoco
14.07.11, 22:37
Release Date: October 14, 2011
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Matthijs van Heijningen
Screenwriter: Ronald D. Moore, Eric Heisserer
Starring: Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton, Jonathan Lloyd Walker, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
Genre: Thriller
MPAA Rating: Not Available

Antarctica: an extraordinary continent of awesome beauty. It is also home to an isolated outpost where a discovery full of scientific possibility becomes a mission of survival when an alien is unearthed by a crew of international scientists. The shape-shifting creature, accidentally unleashed at this marooned colony, has the ability to turn itself into a perfect replica of any living being. It can look just like you or me, but inside, it remains inhuman. In the thriller "The Thing," paranoia spreads like an epidemic among a group of researchers as they're infected, one by one, by a mystery from another planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKLR7zkY1pI

slikrapid
14.07.11, 23:54
where a discovery full of scientific possibility

yet they forgot simple quarantine procedures

The shape-shifting creature, accidentally unleashed at this marooned colony, has the ability to turn itself into a perfect replica of any living being. It can look just like you or me, but inside, it remains inhuman.

its not very smart though, forgetting to eliminate at least one other human member - still intelligent enough to pose/act as a human (or learn to in a matter of hours)? replicating/cloning the body makes it alive? the original body forgot to attack the invading organism?

plagiarizing using the title from an older movie: 'the thing' (1982) as if there's not enough unused titles around?

other than that, could be a decent horror/SF - for other movies related to the antarctic see:

The Thing (1982)
The X Files (1998)
AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004)
The Last Winter (2006) arctic, this one
Whiteout (2009)

Instab
15.07.11, 02:44
another remake of a classic. i hope for the best but in most cases the remakes are not able to keep up with the original. especially when it comes to atmosphere.

Wolfman86
15.07.11, 03:07
I read somewhere this is actually a prequel to the 1982 version. Looks good though, especially with Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it :tongue:

Resurrection
15.07.11, 05:30
Looks pretty in the trailer itself.Not a good sign.
And upon that, Mary is not a good actress...I've seen all her movies and there's not been one movie where I haven't cringed at her acting...

Having said all that...

Mary will you marry me? I'm kinda in love with you

yoco
21.07.11, 22:46
The trailer reminds me of a movie when I was a kid, and it was also a horror, but i can't remember the title or anything else really.

SomeGuy
21.07.11, 22:57
A great concept, the writer could make it an amazing classic. We'll see

Instab
22.07.11, 04:06
The trailer reminds me of a movie when I was a kid, and it was also a horror, but i can't remember the title or anything else really.

that might be the original "The Thing" with Kurt Russel

mexx3
29.07.11, 14:43
after watching the trailer its the one with Kurt Russell "The Thing" or in german "Das Ding aus einer anderen Welt"

and yep thats the obviously the Remake then(Trailer)

the orignal The Thing(1982) is in my opinion one of the best horror-movies EVER

slikrapid
29.07.11, 19:48
@mexx3:

"Das Ding aus einer anderen Welt"

how innovative (see below for some more confusion with the titles) :rolleyes:

thats the obviously the Remake then

nope, its a prequel to the older movie (from 1982), check imdb trivia section (for 2011) for details

the orignal The Thing(1982) is in my opinion one of the best horror-movies EVER

its very good, not as good as 'Alien' though - interestingly enough, its not the original, but a remake of: 'The Thing From Another World' (1951)

still confused? The Thing (2011) is a prequel to The Thing (1982), which is a remake of The Thing From Another World (1951)

Snitlev
30.07.11, 01:01
the org. with Kurt Russel is the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p35JDJLa9ec&feature=related

the most remakes doesn't good...

mfg

yoco
30.07.11, 10:47
Does a dog gets killed in this movie perhaps?

Instab
30.07.11, 11:14
Dös a dog gets killed in this movie perhaps?

good güss :P

yoco
30.07.11, 11:25
Then this is definitely the movie I watched as a kid! :D

mexx3
01.08.11, 02:42
@slikrapid its pretty funny because theres no confusion at all The Thing(1982) was called "Das Ding aus ein anderen Welt" in german

next thing its a remake then of the 1951 original as you mentioned

but what imdb-trivia says is just a pretty poor explanation to call it a prequel because The Thing(2011) is a remake of the remake its the same as the 1982 one "LMAO"

and im not surprised wouldnt be the first movie we get a remake of a remake of a remake "hahahaaha"

the big studios just lacking ideas to really hit a blockbuster so they just try the old classics where they know its good stuff

slikrapid
01.08.11, 23:14
because theres no confusion at all The Thing(1982) was called "Das Ding aus ein anderen Welt" in german

no?

lets see:

The Thing from Another World (1951) aka Das Ding aus einer anderen Welt (Austria / West Germany)
The Thing (1982) aka Das Ding aus einer anderen Welt (Austria / West Germany)

still confused?...

this was meant as a summary for anyone that might still be confused

as for the plot similarity, that one may be unavoidable (though in this case also shamelessly or incompetently exploited), just like it has been the case with many other prequels or sequels to various movies - in a broader sense they are all remakes anyways, whereas in a narrower sense the aforementioned distinction may be made

edit:

looks like loads of things can get you confused

looks like you managed to miss the point...again :P

mexx3
02.08.11, 18:23
@slikrapid looks like loads of things can get you confused

oh and the whole prequel sequel thing there are enough movies outthere where its actually pretty
easy to distinctively distinguish between both

yoco
21.09.11, 12:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcrlSQ3plZA

kelly
24.09.11, 20:05
Old wine in a new bottle.

John Carpenter was limited by the technology of his time , nevertheless came out with a classic. Let's see how this one does.

Instab
31.01.12, 02:42
i really enjoyed this one. i'd even say some parts are better than the original. the atmosphere might not be as depressing as in the original but they did a very good job there for sure.
if you like the original this is definitely worth a try and if you don't know the original then have a look, too :D

slikrapid
31.01.12, 20:15
i thought it was laughable, logic went out the window real fast, their scientific crew was pitiful, the creature & its behavior/abilities helplessly contrived, popping up all over the place, displaying pathetic strategy/intelligence, wooden b-grade actors (even for today's lowly standards) - the only thing (!) decent about it were some of the effects, namely a few gore scenes & the creature examination scene (non-cgi), the rest was as messy, unimaginative & brainless as they come

entertainment value: extremely low
verdict: can't touch the 1982 version