PDA

View Full Version : VPN question ?

mmmmm
24.12.10, 22:19
Hi all,

If i got VPN and have 5 gigs download limit from internet service provider :
can i download and upload more than 5G ?
is my ISP able to detect it? or detect I'm using VPN? or able to block it?

someone told me so i want to be sure.

anon
24.12.10, 22:20

He lied to you. :wgrin:

VPN traffic is just like any other traffic as far as bandwidth caps are concerned, and it will count towards those 5GB. :wfrown:

mmmmm
25.12.10, 10:47
He told me my ISP can see me as idle only but not see what i can do because i have an other IP and the connection is encrypted.

Thanks for the information.

anon
25.12.10, 17:29
Indeed the connection is encrypted and they can't (easily) see what you do... but they can count the amount of bytes spent in doing what you do :wsmile:

mmmmm
27.12.10, 20:08
anon

I understood now after some search:
They r using some bugs at (ISP) like proxies and https (not for vpn) and some opened ports (udp) (vpn) and all of that closed now the ISP detected that because too many people used it (wide spread) but people searching now for other bugs (they don't talk about how to) ,what i want to know how to detect those bugs ? (may be at PM if ill eagle).

anon
27.12.10, 20:12
but people searching now for other bugs (they don't talk about how to) ,what i want to know how to detect those bugs ? (may be at PM if ill eagle).

Using network and port scanners, and the like. That's also possible with GPRS connections. I can't give more details as doing this may be illegal and we have a rule against that. But maybe you'll get some interesting results if you search for that plus your ISP's name.

splicer
01.01.11, 22:08
As anon said, the traffic limits imposed by your ISP still apply. VPNs are used to encrypt traffic - obscure it so that prying ISPs can't throttle your speeds, or block access to various websites.

anon
01.01.11, 23:24
As anon said, the traffic limits imposed by your ISP still apply. VPNs are used to encrypt traffic - obscure it so that prying ISPs can't throttle your speeds, or block access to various websites.

Hey there, SCC superstar. Nice to see the new year gave you some time to come back to us.

sbtorrent
09.01.11, 11:51
Hi all,

If i got VPN and have 5 gigs download limit from internet service provider :
can i download and upload more than 5G ?
is my ISP able to detect it? or detect I'm using VPN? or able to block it?

Think of it this way. Your VPN communication travels in the form of packets. The ISP counts these packets towards your 5G limit. If you browse a site that via HTTPS, the traffic may be encrypted but still counts towards your limit.