PDA

View Full Version : How to change file extensions in windows

Resurrection
13.10.10, 07:08
I just thought about it after I actually downloaded a Waffles comic pack...

You know how all those comics are in .cbr or .cbz format

The formats are actually a Comic Book Archive file and its a type of archive file for the purpose of sequential viewing of images, especially comic books.

The most popular tool to view these things is Cdisplay ( CDisplay Comic Reader (http://web.archive.org/web/20071011003226/http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay.html) )

The best tool however is Comicrox ( ComicRack (http://comicrack.cyolito.com/) )

Comic Book Archive files mainly consist of a series of image files, typically PNG (lossless compression) or JPEG (lossy compression) files, stored as a single archive file. The file extension indicates the archive type used:

* .cbr → RAR
* .cbz → ZIP

You can just change the file extension to make them rar or zip and extract the pics accordingly....

Anyway thats neither here nor there....

The point being,file extensions cannot be changed just like that...

So here's a quick little tutorial on how to do it

1.The first thing to do is open Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and view the file you wish to change.
2.Click Folder Options, in the dialog box change to the View tab and look for Hide extensions for known files and uncheck it and click OK.

Now all your files have extensions displayed along with filenames so when you want to change a file extension you can just change the letter part after the . (dot) in the filename.

Simple...

anon
13.10.10, 16:45
Most people are probably already aware of this, but it doesn't hurt to post about it. Same thing with hidden files.

shoulder
13.10.10, 21:51
Just an hint, WinRar should be able to extract every supported archive regardless of the name (+ extension).

Also, you can rename files using the CMD:

rem "file.ext" "file.newext"

donkeykong
13.10.10, 22:19
Just an hint, WinRar should be able to extract every supported archive regardless of the name (+ extension).

and you can expand to that, you can easily make an executable file that automatically does that, here's how:

1. open notepad and copy paste:

ren *.cbr *.rar
ren *.cbz *.zip

2. go to file then save as and save it as anything you want but .bat instead of .txt

3. whenever you want to use it put it in the folder you have the comic archives and just run it, they will be renamed automatically

Extraterrestrial
13.10.10, 22:46
Or download and install this small program (http://www.4shared.com/file/32126075/e33629ee/extchanger.html) !

---------- Post added at 23:46 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

Using the program is easy, right click on the file you want to change it's extension, choose edit the extension and type whatever you want in the box that appears.

Instab
13.10.10, 23:05
extensions and hidden files should be shown by default anyway. especially on windows.

Extraterrestrial
13.10.10, 23:09
extensions and hidden files should be shown by default anyway. especially on windows.
This isn't the case with windows xp, maybe hidden files are shown but not extensions.

Instab
14.10.10, 00:14
This isn't the case with windows xp, maybe hidden files are shown but not extensions.

i know that's why i said should

Resurrection
14.10.10, 12:51

nope winrar didn't work...As a matter of fact no option to that effect shows up even on right clicking the file...

However I have 7zip installed on my system and was able to extract pics from the .cbr files through it...

7zip is an awesome program on its own too...

Grambo
14.10.10, 15:24
I use Xplorer2.
A much better viewer than windows explorer.
With x2 you can rename extensions with the normal rename files right click command.

Instab
14.10.10, 22:00
I use Xplorer2.
A much better viewer than windows explorer.
With x2 you can rename extensions with the normal rename files right click command.

of course, 3rd party filemanagers are a must on every os.
the advantages are too many to list but be sure to use one matching your taste

Grambo
15.10.10, 13:46
For the most part it's perfect for me.
I only use one with 4 windows when I rarely need to see more folders at the same time.