PDA

View Full Version : Things aren't as easy as they appear

anon
08.10.10, 02:07
Two days ago, our sysop installed Faronics' Anti-Executable in all the computers, because he was tired of guys entering the room just to play CS. (On a sidenote, my school is getting quite restrictive this year - this, most good sites are blocked, Facebook is blocked locally, not that I care, etc., while it was very relaxed on 2006-07. Best years ever <3)

Turns out that app works the following way: when installed, it makes a baseline of all programs present in all disks, makes an unique hash, and whitelists them. Then, no foreign new EXEs are allowed to run, unless manually approved. Needless to say, the AE control panel is password-protected, and I do not have the password.

Yesterday afternoon, I thought of checking whether I could defeat AE with a very blunt and obvious method - boot from a live CD to evade it and DF, delete it from Program Files and its registry entries, and reboot.

Around 7 hours ago, I did that. After taking the disc out of the drive and booting into XP, the login screen appeared. I grabbed the mouse to click on "Student" and resume posting. The cursor didn't move. Using the keyboard didn't work, either. I pretty much rendered the computer unusable. :dabs:

Tomorrow, I plan to do the following:

taking a MicroXP CD to school
saying I have no idea of what happened, and that the PC was working just fine when I left it :gredface:
offering to reinstall Windows and the necessary drivers on the stunned computer (yes, doesn't this make it obvious)

Good thing is, MicroXP should make the computer even faster than it already was. Bad thing is, all other PCs are taken, so as long as mine has to be "offline" during the install process this is the crap I have left to work with:

http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=8338

Instab
08.10.10, 02:59
Two days ago, our sysop installed Faronics' Anti-Executable in all the computers, because he was tired of guys entering the room just to play CS.

small off-topic sidenote:

unlike in the tracker-world a sysop is not the "boss" normally but the admin cause he dös administrate and an (sysop)erator dös "only" operate.

if you know that and used it on purpose just ignore this post :lol:

desodorante
08.10.10, 03:35
I will say that you are screwed, even if you manage to bypass that program!Good old Argentinian education budget :P
Haven't you got a free netbook? I thought they were given to all the Province's Public Schools.

PS: what an artist you are! XD

Resurrection
08.10.10, 05:40
Wowowowowow....

That drawing you made just made my day....

One of the most endearing things I've seen on this board till date...

The uneven lines,the out-of-whack borders,the different monitor screenshots...Loved it all...

SomeGuy
08.10.10, 14:19
Do they have a restore point to this?
What if you take out the Hard Drive, install at home at your own leisure, then bring it back?
Swap drives with one of the crappy computers?
Boot on linux from a USB?

anon
08.10.10, 18:07
small off-topic sidenote:

unlike in the tracker-world a sysop is not the "boss" normally but the admin cause he does administrate and an (sysop)erator does "only" operate.

Oh, then I'm almost the admin - the guy has to ask me how to do stuff like building a LAN or burning DVDs, and then applies his newly acquired knowledge. Even installing the AE was technically my idea, he asked how to prevent guys from playing CS and I told him to google "anti-exe". :glol:

If with "operate" you mean turning the lights on or buying coffee, then he's a sysop indeed.

I will say that you are screwed, even if you manage to bypass that program!Good old Argentinian education budget :P

Turns out someone reinstalled a fresh OS. The computer's working now, but it doesn't have drivers or anything. I'll just wipe that, install MicroXP, the appropriate drivers, and enjoy a blazing fast PC afterwards.

Haven't you got a free netbook? I thought they were given to all the Province's Public Schools.

I'm supposed to get it these days. It looks like a quite good one, with a 1.66Ghz Intel Atom and 2GB of RAM.

PS: what an artist you are! XD

That drawing you made just made my day....

One of the most endearing things I've seen on this board till date...

The uneven lines,the out-of-whack borders,the different monitor screenshots...Loved it all...

Thank you, I've never been good at drawing, but I think that's precisely what makes the pic awesome. If you look better, I just copied and pasted the first computer to make the third oen.

Do they have a restore point to this?
What if you take out the Hard Drive, install at home at your own leisure, then bring it back?
Swap drives with one of the crappy computers?
Boot on linux from a USB?

Absolutely not, System Restore was disabled.
They'll think I'm trying to steal the HDD, and I'm not in the mood to open my home PC case.
Same as above.
That's more or less than booting off the ERD 2007 CD, but it doesn't fix it for good. :gfrown:

anon
22.10.10, 00:00
So, here's how this story ends. The fresh XP install they were setting up in my PC was already infected, as I found out by running APT. :gdabs: So I proposed to install MicroXP, and around two hours later, the computer was already working crap-free and blazing fast.

Remember the awfully slow PC with the damaged monitor, also? I swapped the monitor for a smaller but working one, and did the same as with the other computer. Now it's usable and works much faster. MicroXP can really breath new life into old equipment, and since we don't need any of the stuff eXPer1ence removed from it, it's a win-win.

desodorante
22.10.10, 01:38
So, here's how this story ends. The fresh XP install they were setting up in my PC was already infected, as I found out by running APT. :gdabs: So I proposed to install MicroXP, and around two hours later, the computer was already working crap-free and blazing fast.

Remember the awfully slow PC with the damaged monitor, also? I swapped the monitor for a smaller but working one, and did the same as with the other computer. Now it's usable and works much faster. MicroXP can really breath new life into old equipment, and since we don't need any of the stuff eXPer1ence removed from it, it's a win-win.

Nice to hear that!
About the netbooks: they are very cool netbooks in deed, check it out!:

Exo Classmate
Model: Exomate 352
10.1 inches
Intel Atom N450 1,66 GHz
1 GB RAM
Windows XP / Linux
160 GB
Ethernet/Wi-Fi

anon
22.10.10, 01:39
Mine's supposed to have 2GB of RAM and almost twice as much HDD space... fingers crossed!

hessler
22.10.10, 05:27
intel atom is better then the latest i series???
i am planning to purchase one for myself since my current notebook has gone old

caballero
22.10.10, 14:36
Mine's supposed to have 2GB of RAM and almost twice as much HDD space... fingers crossed!

They know it's for anon, that's why it has 2GB RAM :cool:

intel atom is better then the latest i series???

there's a big difference between the two. Intel Core i series is no comparison for atom.

desodorante
22.10.10, 15:26

LOL. Maybe anon is with the gobernment! :O
Anon, Should we call you Kanon from now on? LOL

there's a big difference between the two. Intel Core i series is no comparison for atom.

That was a bit vague. :P
hessler, Atom is a single core, 1.6-1.66 Ghz processor, while i3,i5 and i7 range from 2 to 4 (or 6?) cores and start around 2.0ghz each.
An Atom based PC/notebook/netbook will give a performance similar to a Pentium 4 2.4-2.6

anon
22.10.10, 15:44

An Atom based PC/notebook/netbook will give a performance similar to a Pentium 4 2.4-2.6

All I care about is that it'll be even better than my current desktop PC. :gtongue:

kelly
23.10.10, 10:26
Amazed to hear that Argentina provides Netbook to schools. You guys are lucky. Here in India , the government provides free mid-day meals to schools .

PS: Is there any faster/lighter version than MicroXp ? :D

anon
23.10.10, 18:58
Amazed to hear that Argentina provides Netbook to schools. You guys are lucky. Here in India , the government provides free mid-day meals to schools .

Weren't you guys going to have $35 tablets? Or so I've read...

None that I know of, it's the lightest and fastest readily-available custom XP out there.

kelly
23.10.10, 19:52
Weren't you guys going to have $35 tablets? Or so I've read...

Nope, none that i can recollect. If they provide to each one of them for free just like mid-day meal, India will be bankrupt :tongue:

None that I know of, it's the lightest and fastest readily-available custom XP out there.

How many versions does exist ? Just wanted to make sure that i am downloading the proper version.

Download MicroXp - Google Search (http://www.google.co.in/search?q=Download+MicroXp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a)

anon
23.10.10, 19:53
Nope, none that i can recollect. If they provide to each one of them for free just like mid-day meal, India will be bankrupt :tongue:

Indian 35 dollar Tablet - Google Search (http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=Indian+35+dollar+Tablet&n=2) :unsure:

How many versions does exist ? Just wanted to make sure that i am downloading the proper version.

v0.82 is the latest, you can always check eXPer1ence's profile on TPB anyway.

Resurrection
23.10.10, 19:53
@kelly

The world’s cheapest netbook is Indian: 35 dollars | Momento 24 (http://momento24.com/en/2010/07/23/the-worlds-cheapest-netbook-is-indian-35-dollars/)

The microXP version that is famous is of around 100 mb and takes about 5-6 minutes to install...

kelly
23.10.10, 20:00
Indian 35 dollar Tablet - Google Search (http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=Indian+35+dollar+Tablet&n=2) :unsure:

"Linux-based computing tool for students to be introduced in higher educational institutions by 2011 "

It's not yet implemented. Hope it actually turn out rather than election showoff.

desodorante
23.10.10, 20:37

Just a political stunt. The state banned all private retirement fund companies, allowing only the state to handle the funds (which is 11% of your salary).
Then they used those funds to buy the netbooks. They did the same thing with the transmission of Soccer (handled by a corporation), and also created a free Digital TV network (including a free Digital TV receptor for Retired and poor people).
They also decided to simply give away money to the families that a have underage kids that go to school, and have no incom (a.k.a they do not work)
They just gave an "I.O.U" note to the office handling the retirement funds.
Meanwhile, a law to permanently raise the retirement payment to be 82% of the minimum wage was voted, approved and a few hours later banned by the president because THAT "will bankrupt the government"...The 82% law was on hold for decades.
Sorry to ruin your excitement :P