PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking the PS3

naughtydog
12.09.10, 14:32
Will make an article on this soon but so far this is what time permits me to write for now.

On 19.08.2010 many playstation 3 users woke up to a rather surprising news flying all over the internet. "PS3 JailBreak". Earlier this year as im sure you all know by now, the PS3 had seen a mountain load of fakes, we had ZPack, which used a USB Dongle to let you play ISO’s on your console, it of course turned out to be another fake.

It was rather not surprising so many forums had open threads stating the PS3 Jailbreak dongle was fake and just another loser trolling on the internet. Then, samples were sent out to many review sites...

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5200/psj300x1051912490.jpg

The birth of a new age for the Playstation 3

PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.

Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.

Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA

PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.

Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)

Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.

Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.

Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.

Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.

Now at this point people still had doubts and it did not come as a surprise when ps3 hax turned it down at first glance due to misspelling of Blu Ray from the quote above.

Not that im an expert at spelling, im far from it, but you would think that people who are knowledgeable enough to create such a device, could at least spell Blu Ray right.

A site called PSX-SCENE claimed to be the first and only site that can confirm that this is working at that time.

The first PS3 modchip has arrived and PSX-SCENE is the FIRST site to CONFIRM it is 100% REAL!!!

PSX-SCENE is the first any ONLY website to CONFIRM that this product is working 100% Not by speculation but by being the only website to actually have testers with actual product in hand! We will have a video courtesy of OzModchips soon so stay tuned!!!

I have been in contact directly with the manufacturer and can confirm some things you have all been asking about…

1. FAT32 is currently supported. They are working on NTFS.

2. They recommend staying on current firmware and not updating until they have deemed it safe. The dongle is fully updatable.

3. Online play does work but they cannot guarantee that it will work with all future titles.

4. Final retail units are ready to ship.

5. Official reseller list will be on their site in the next 48 hours. You can pre-order from any of the official resellers. There are websites out there now claiming to be selling but they are not legitimate. Don’t get ripped off. Wait until the official list is posted.

Later on many youtube videos were shown as proofs as almost every site made a review of these dongles and had videos to show them working. At this point, the scene guys got their groove on and attempted many other hacks once an exploit was found. Headliners included:

Reversing on the PS3 Linux using the GNU tool-chain
PS Jailbreak Dongle Dissected
SKFU and Demonhades thoughts on PSJailbreak
PS Jailbreak Scams/Viruses
PS Jailbreak – Safe Places To Buy
PSJailbreak PS3 Game Dumps appearing online ( Scene Uploads)
“If the PS3 is Jailbroken, Can We Have Other OS Back?”
Mathieulh: PS Jailbreak can be dumped easily via twitter
PSJailbreak Detectable and Bannable on PSN
PS3 Package GUI Released
x3Jailbreak, the PSJailbreak clone
PS Jailbreak Creators Used GeoHots Hack/Exploit
Sony Sensitive Files for PS3 Illegally Leaked
PS Jailbreak Team Hack DemonHade’s Blog
x3Jailbreak Samples Shipping Out
PSJailbreak Shipping Delayed
PS3Stinger – Another PSJailbreak Clone
Sony Responds To PS Jailbreak – Launches Court Case
x3Jailbreak confirmed real by LogicSunrise
PS Jailbreak Code Sniffed VIA USB
PSJailbreak Update, and Backup Manager v1.1
The big One Mathieulh And His Team Clone PS Jailbreak
PSGroove – Open Source PSJailbreak Code RELEASED!
USB Board Resource for PSGroove
Build your own Teensy Board
New PSJailBreak Backup Manager v1.1 Details
PSGroove Working with BlackCat USB
PS3 ISO2JB 0.5 (ISO to PSjailbreak converter)
PSJailbreak found Illegal in AU Courts
Sony America Taking US PSJailbreak ReSeller To Court
PSFreedom released for the N900
PSGroove with SIXAXIS
PSFreedom/PSGroove ported to the Palm Pre
Teensy / Bumble-B hybrid USB
PSGroove port for Androids: NexusOne/HTC Desire and Others
PSGroove Ported to TI-84+/SE (RELEASED)
NullDC / PCSX2 WIP port

Up till here Sony had not responded to any of the hacks as we all expected in any firmware update and then came the big bang followed by the crazies of porting:

PS3 Update 3.42 Released
PS3 Update 3.42 Released, bypass available
PSGroove for TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Released
PS3 FTP Server Homebrew Application
PSGroove v1.1 updated with LV2 and Poke SysCalls
Use the Xbox 360 NAND reader to jailbreak your PS3 ---- haha the irony
PS3 Open Source ToolChain Released
PSJailbreak Now Shipping – Backup Manager v1.1 Sept 15
Sony takes Sweedish PSJailbreak Resellers to court
Droid port released for PSFreedom
TI-84 PSGroove Port updated to v1.1 with backup manager support
Proxy And DNS Methods No Longer Useable
PSFreedom Port for HTC Evo
PSFreedom port for Sony Ericsson Xperia X1
PS3 Firmware 3.42 Issues
Exclusive: Use “Remote Play” on any PS3 game on PSP!
PSFreedom ported to HTC Hero
PSLiberator Clone announced
iPhone and iTouch PSFreedom Port
P3Free (another clone)
PkgView Released
PS3AVR/TinyAVR
PSP Emulation On PS3?
To be continued...

Clones available as of now are
1. x3JailBreak
2. PS3Stinger
3. PS3Key
4. PS3Liberator
5. PS3AVR/TinyAVR
6. PSFree
7. Neo Jailbreak

This is the current state of the jailbreak and any further news will be updated where possible. Will be developed later and polished when the storm is over and everything is calmed down. :biggrin: For now this is just a thread to show how it all started and where it's leading to. If only you knw...lol

News Source includes Geodex Games (http://geodexgames.blogspot.com/), Psx scene (http://psx-scene.com/forums/cmps_index.php), PS3 Hax (http://www.ps3hax.net/forums.php).

DEViL.eXE
12.09.10, 15:28
I think sony will bann all user of jailbreak,because microsoft bann all user of flash there xbox too.

mirrormask
12.09.10, 15:38
well, right now there isn't even the possibility to play online with a jailbroken ps3.
but i agree, even if the hackers release a new firmware, sony will most likely ban people using it online.

piratemeister
12.09.10, 16:35
Yeah ! Finally PS3 hacked !!! Don't play online but don't pay the games !!! :D
(I don't have PS3...)

DEViL.eXE
12.09.10, 16:45
Come on good games must be support !
But sony will everything do to bann all players with jailbreak.
And only singeplayer sucks.

kazuya
12.09.10, 17:13
why would someone play online games on console :denis1803: you have PC for that.console games are only good because of some games like Metal gear,gran turismo...that's worth playing home alone in peace

naughtydog
12.09.10, 20:30
why would someone play online games on console :denis1803: you have PC for that.console games are only good because of some games like Metal gear,gran turismo...that's worth playing home alone in peace

You couldn't have said it any better. The only game I liked it's online multiplayer was the FIFA series but hell no I aint paying 10 bucks to play online this year. So shoot my online play is officially dead.

Dynamic
12.09.10, 21:36

I know of a lot of people who use the computer as just internet and use the console's as online gaming. They consider the computer as not that versatile and also if someone wants to play a new game most likely they will have to upgrade one or more piece of hardware to run the newer games.

I have to agree though that playing online games through the computer is more fun.

DEViL.eXE
12.09.10, 21:40
But on pc you have more cheater than on console.
Its easy to cheat at pc.But some games are better on console.

ironace
13.09.10, 21:45
Did Sony ever ban hard drives like Microsoft did? Or do they just ban the free account which is not very difficult to create again? And if too many people are using this and cheating online I dont think Sony is going to stop them kind of like the 10th prestige hack in MW2.

Spixe
17.09.10, 13:41
Awesome, thanks for the article, since they started putting PS3 JB releases out on torrent sites, I've been reading up like crazy on JB, thinking if and when I should buy a PS3. I'm curious if now's a good time to buy a used one (lots of ppl are selling them around here) before new editions that have been fixed to prevent this hack are mainly on the market, or if I should wait till they find a better hack that will be easier and cover most ps3s. Any advice?

mirrormask
17.09.10, 16:17
i somehow doubt that there will be a softmod solution for ps3 consoles with fw 3.42.
maybe some way to downgrade those units will be possible with a jtag some day.

naughtydog
19.10.10, 18:22
Well Original Ps Jailbreak team just pushed back the release for "new" firmwares. They seem to be pushing this release for over a month now since it was due to be released on 15th sept. But they release the "backup Manager v1.1" tomorrow so lets wait and see the features it brings. Hopefully it isn't a ripoff of scene works.