PDA

View Full Version : Disclosing information about member-only mods and tools

Kool-Aid Man
23.08.10, 07:26
of course not. that's one reason why it is not public

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, though I take offense to the tone of your post. It is not my will to be combative, but I feel it incumbent upon myself to inform you that your posts make you appear smug and arrogant, specifically due to your use of "emoticons." One might hope that you find this revelation disappointing.

Considering how disagreeably arbitrary the requisite conditions for the 'member' title are, I feel obligated to find out what this version of mRatio has to offer before embarking on a quest to ingratiate myself to the moderators, administrators, and other members of this forum. In simpler terms, I need to know that my efforts will not be wasted or otherwise in vain. Understand that not everyone has the available time to pander to or adulate those in charge, self included.

Clearly, my chance of ever becoming a respected part of this community is now nil. Regardless, expressing myself is more important than any potential acceptance from those who may read my words. Please do not take these paragraphs as an indictment; they are but constructive criticism upon which you may feel it felicitous to construct a more complaisant persona.

You have my sincere apologies for having wasting everyone's time. Thank you.

Instab
23.08.10, 08:17
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my qüstions, though I take offense to the tone of your post. It is not my will to be combative, but I feel it incumbent upon myself to inform you that your posts make you appear smug and arrogant, specifically dü to your use of "emoticons." One might hope that you find this revelation disappointing.

hehe, well, i think you can understand that we can't give too many details in public for good reason

Considering how disagreeably arbitrary the requisite conditions for the 'member' title are

would you prefer something like postcount or account age?
not worth much i'd say don't you think?

I feel obligated to find out what this version of mRatio has to offer before embarking on a qüst to ingratiate myself to the moderators, administrators, and other members of this forum.

that's not how it works here and see below

Clearly, my chance of ever becoming a respected part of this community is now nil.

there you're wrong. unlike some other forums kissing ass dösn't work here. on the contrary one of the major differences compared to many other places is that you can actually be honest and blunt here. in fact we wouldn't have it otherwise

Kool-Aid Man
24.08.10, 03:28
hehe, well, i think you can understand that we can't give too many details in public for good reason

would you prefer something like postcount or account age?
not worth much i'd say don't you think?

there you're wrong. unlike some other forums kissing ass doesn't work here. on the contrary one of the major differences compared to many other places is that you can actually be honest and blunt here. in fact we wouldn't have it otherwise

It is disconcerting that your initial response is "hehe." How is this a laughing matter? Regardless, I disagree with your position regarding giving details in public. If you have chosen to keep the program out of the hands of those in a lower caste (which is a more than adequate and fair term, given the discrepancy between those that are accepted and those left wanting), it does not stand to reason that you cannot summarize the product or provide rudimentary minutiae. You act as if I'm asking for source code or CIA documents on who killed JFK, which is decidedly not the case.

As for your two quoted questions, I believe that either postcount or account age would easily be better than a non-existent, nearly unenforceable grading rubric against which we're all inevitably judged. Worth doesn't come into the equation when none of the options, be they potential or currently in use, make any reasonably worthwhile measurement of a person, their character, or their perceived usefulness to the community.

It would be imprudent to dissect the final quoted paragraph due to time constraints on my part, but I will say this: While "kissing ass" may not help one climb the social ladder here, only a blind or oblivious man would say that it does not occur. Perhaps that is due to my admittedly loose definition of sycophancy, but the point made is no less accurate. Furthermore, I would like to know how honesty and bluntness are rewarded, because given the ascerbic nature of your response to my original queries, I'm loath to see how poorly someone with less tact and reason than myself would be received.

SomeGuy
24.08.10, 03:51
Well, the newest version is full of pioneering features that we, as members, test and help to improve before they are ready for prime time and sharing with the masses. It's a responsibility, not a privilege.

Seeing how both of you are disappointed because it is not shared with non-members, I believe even stronger that the policy of keeping such tools to members for the time being is a good one.

New and innovative features are so new, that we might not know the extend of their impact, and so simply they are likely to get you banned because a lot of people are likely to not know how to use them correctly at first, because they have not been tested.

You are angry and disappointed because you do not have access to the new "toy". mRatio 2.3.5 works just fine, it did not stop working because a new version is out, so you show that you are likely to be even more "angry and disappointed" if testing some innovative new tools got you banned. What if you should feel better that you do not have the access, which brings with it the extra responsibility of testing the new never-seen-before features, and risking your account at your favorite tracker to be suspended?

Either way, believe it or not, you as non members, have access to great tools that do their job very very well. You even have access to the latest VEM, which is the grand-pimp-daddy of all cheating tools. It is the tool to rule them all.

Remember, brother: cheating with mRatio 3 will not give you the ratio buffer or get you to PU faster than the tools you have in your computer.

Tools help, but it is all in your brain. Use your brain well, and even PMR would be a lethal weapon.

jacksbi
24.08.10, 04:41
It is disconcerting that your initial response is "hehe." How is this a laughing matter? Regardless, I disagree with your position regarding giving details in public. If you have chosen to keep the program out of the hands of those in a lower caste (which is a more than adequate and fair term, given the discrepancy between those that are accepted and those left wanting), it does not stand to reason that you cannot summarize the product or provide rudimentary minutiae. You act as if I'm asking for source code or CIA documents on who killed JFK, which is decidedly not the case.

As for your two quoted questions, I believe that either postcount or account age would easily be better than a non-existent, nearly unenforceable grading rubric against which we're all inevitably judged. Worth doesn't come into the equation when none of the options, be they potential or currently in use, make any reasonably worthwhile measurement of a person, their character, or their perceived usefulness to the community.

It would be imprudent to dissect the final quoted paragraph due to time constraints on my part, but I will say this: While "kissing ass" may not help one climb the social ladder here, only a blind or oblivious man would say that it does not occur. Perhaps that is due to my admittedly loose definition of sycophancy, but the point made is no less accurate. Furthermore, I would like to know how honesty and bluntness are rewarded, because given the ascerbic nature of your response to my original queries, I'm loath to see how poorly someone with less tact and reason than myself would be received.

dont be angry man its just in the testing mode it have its advantages and disadvantages i am testing it on various trackers,you can also try to post some good posts test various tools on trackers and report them here which will help you good rep here and you can even get the member class,post some good ideas,articles.

Kool-Aid Man
24.08.10, 05:08
It's a responsibility, not a privilege.

Seeing how both of you are disappointed because it is not shared with non-members, I believe even stronger that the policy of keeping such tools to members for the time being is a good one.

You are angry and disappointed because you do not have access to the new "toy".

On the topic of strange definitions, your concepts of responsibility and privilege could use a tune-up. You, being in a different caste than I, have access to programs that I do not. That, sir, is privilege. You're under no obligation to test these programs, so there is no responsibility.

"Both of you?" Re-read the thread, s'il vous plaît. It's just me that sees a problem here. And you want new tools to be available only to you and others of your user group because it's some kind of unintelligible status symbol among ratio cheaters. This just reeks of Manorialism, so it's no small wonder that I feel like a serf.

You make a lot of baseless, uninformed assumptions which serve only to make you look foolish. At no point have I expressed anger (you'd certainly know if I had), and the only disappointment I feel is over the dismissive tendencies and utter disregard for understanding thus far displayed by Instab. Please, for your own sake, do not pretend to know what I feel or think, for you will be incorrect.

None of this nonsense was my intent, so please don't think I came here with the intent to cause strife. Since this situation will remain unresolved, I propose we simply stop this line of discourse and go on as we were. There's little more to do here than defend our positions and bicker needlessly, neither of which is beneficial to anyone.

jacksbi
24.08.10, 05:27
On the topic of strange definitions, your concepts of responsibility and privilege could use a tune-up. You, being in a different caste than I, have access to programs that I do not. That, sir, is privilege. You're under no obligation to test these programs, so there is no responsibility.

"Both of you?" Re-read the thread, s'il vous plaît. It's just me that sees a problem here. And you want new tools to be available only to you and others of your user group because it's some kind of unintelligible status symbol among ratio cheaters. This just reeks of Manorialism, so it's no small wonder that I feel like a serf.

You make a lot of baseless, uninformed assumptions which serve only to make you look foolish. At no point have I expressed anger (you'd certainly know if I had), and the only disappointment I feel is over the dismissive tendencies and utter disregard for understanding thus far displayed by Instab. Please, for your own sake, do not pretend to know what I feel or think, for you will be incorrect.

None of this nonsense was my intent, so please don't think I came here with the intent to cause strife. Since this situation will remain unresolved, I propose we simply stop this line of discourse and go on as we were. There's little more to do here than defend our positions and bicker needlessly, neither of which is beneficial to anyone.

it is not only the reason the other reason is some of the people posting these tools on their forums,blog and on other websites and telling that it is the program made by them,they are not giving credtis to the users who had put the hardwork to develop these tools,so the member status title requirement had came up.

anon
24.08.10, 13:02
Since this situation will remain unresolved, I propose we simply stop this line of discourse and go on as we were. There's little more to do here than defend our positions and bicker needlessly, neither of which is beneficial to anyone.

True.

SomeGuy
24.08.10, 14:25
I'm loath to see how poorly someone with less tact and reason than myself would be received.

You make a lot of baseless, uninformed assumptions which serve only to make you look foolish.

I agree that this conversation will not solve anything, so it's over.

But please, next time, have some finesse, mon gars. In a civilized conversation, it is not productive to say that others are less than you on any criteria, because that is passive-aggressive and not rational.

I personally do not appreciate being called foolish just because I have an opinion different than yours. You will live a hard life if you did that to everyone who does not agree with you, but I guess, for someone who is critical of ass-kissing, you need your ass to be kissed on the internet or you will "get angry". I see no tact in your posts.

You made 5 posts, half of them are to complain that you are not a member. How does that contribute to the community?

In all cases, I want to remind you that life is unfair. We might not like it, but c'est la vie, petit, c'est la vie. We have good reasons to have the distinction between members and non-members, if you like it, then good, if not, then whether you get over that bitter feeling or not, it will not change anything.

I wish you the best.

Kool-Aid Man
25.08.10, 01:40
&

Sir, you've obviously not made any attempt to comprehend my position whatsoever. This saddens me deeply. Since you're taken the time to repond to my post (a post in which I posited that this miserable discussion should cease, no less), it would be uncouth of me to not respond in kind, especially since youve taken it upon yourself to be a little less than complimentary in your assessment of me.

I've been nothing but civil and rational with you (and everyone else, for that matter), and, for the record, my life is more than halfway over and it's been more or less fine thus far. I take great pride in my ability to be rational and logical both in spite and in the face of those who couldn't recognize ratioale or logic if either flew up their nose. I've not asked for my ass to be kissed, nor will I denigrate myself by doing so in order to sway the approval of people I can't even confirm exist. In my 45 years, I've never once sucked up or kissed ass, and I'll be damned if I start now. That others willfilly do so is a problem and failure on their part, and I can't help them.

If you'll take a moment to read what I've written thus far, I stated quite clearly that I don't intend to make any attempt to "contribute to the community" unless I know my efforts will eventually count for something. If that makes me self-serving, so be it; Life's far too short to act solely in the interest of others while ignoring myself. "Look out for number one" is a motto that has served me well in my travels around the globe, and until coming here, I'd not seen anyone who thought of it negatively. Color me shocked. If that's not how you operate, congratulations. That just means that our thought processes differ, a fact for which I am very thankful. Oh, and I'm not the one who said anything about getting angry, trying to goad me into a pissing contest was unwise.

Take note that the guidelines of good taste have forced to continue the exercise in futility that is trying to present a point of view that is obviously incomprehensible to whatever the lot of you consider yourselves individually or collectively. Once more, this was not my intent. If you could find it in your heart to let this topic die it's well deserved death, I'll be forever grateful. If not, then come prepared to read wall after wall of text explaining, in exhausting detail, why I believe you're wrong. Dealer's choice.

Resurrection
28.08.10, 12:06
Kool-Aid Man,

I like that idea.

Sort of like a changelog.It may not be feasible to reveal ALL of the features but even disclosing a FEW may be good.

-Fixed a possible crash issue
-Fixed some bug errors
-Added x functionality

or something like that...

I'll tell you what though,the only tool you need is the Ratiomaster
Which is available freely at moofdev forum...No fuss...No drama...No nothing...

Instab
28.08.10, 13:47
it's hard to post a changelog without revealing private features

anon
28.08.10, 17:36
Sort of like a changelog.It may not be feasible to reveal ALL of the features but even disclosing a FEW may be good.

So that seba creates a fake mRatio 3 and uses that changelog to make it look like the real thing, just like he did with eMule Toxic? :wmellow:

Kool-Aid Man
30.08.10, 00:12
I'll tell you what though,the only tool you need is the Ratiomaster
Which is available freely at moofdev forum...No fuss...No drama...No nothing...

I use RM, but really dislike having umpteen icons in my system tray. My primary interest in mR is the "all-in-one" functionality.

So that seba creates a fake mRatio 3 and uses that changelog to make it look like the real thing, just like he did with eMule Toxic?

From what I've read, this Seba fellow isn't a coder, but a credit-taking theif. If that's the case, how would/could he immitate any other program or function? Serious question.

anon
30.08.10, 00:15
From what I've read, this Seba fellow isn't a coder, but a credit-taking theif. If that's the case, how would/could he immitate any other program or function?

In the eMule case, he just hex-edited 1.0 (you don't need coding skills to do this) to replace "1.0" with "1.1", and forged a changelog to make it look like the real 1.1.

Sazzy
30.08.10, 04:26
Considering how disagreeably arbitrary the requisite conditions for the 'member' title are, I feel obligated to find out what this version of mRatio has to offer before embarking on a quest to ingratiate myself to the moderators, administrators, and other members of this forum. In simpler terms, I need to know that my efforts will not be wasted or otherwise in vain. Understand that not everyone has the available time to pander to or adulate those in charge, self included.

I would just like to add that you do not seem to understand the word "member". You get the member title from actually being a member. You get it for posting, hanging around, being helpful to other users and generally helping to keep this place alive. If I'm reading this correctly, you are apparently clearly stating that this does not interest you at all and you are just here to get the tools and would most likely leave again after receiving. If that is the case, I wouldn't expect the mods to give the title any time soon as they have a neck to snif this out.

And if I can get a bit more personal, I must say I do not appreciate how you talk to people. If anyone here is offensive, it is you. Please don't be so degrading.

Kool-Aid Man
30.08.10, 09:16
I would just like to add that you do not seem to understand the word "member". You get the member title from actually being a member. You get it for posting, hanging around, being helpful to other users and generally helping to keep this place alive. If I'm reading this correctly, you are apparently clearly stating that this does not interest you at all and you are just here to get the tools and would most likely leave again after receiving. If that is the case, I wouldn't expect the mods to give the title any time soon as they have a neck to snif this out.

And if I can get a bit more personal, I must say I do not appreciate how you talk to people. If anyone here is offensive, it is you. Please don't be so degrading.

I understand much more than you seem to give me credit for. For instance, I understand why you'd attempt to attack my intelligence as part of your argument, with it being nothing more than your perverted version of the truth and all. All I have ever asked for in my life is for people to stop making incorrect, uninformed assumptions. "Why is that too much to ask?," he asked rhetorically.

Not once did I state that I would depart after obtaining that which I came for. Not one solitary time. In fact, I defy you to prove that statement wrong. You can't. It's simply not the case. Here's why: I just wanted to know if taking the time to shake hands and kiss babies was worth it. Will I be pleased with or disappointed by my intended end result? Just needed an answer. Never got one. How your train of thought derailed into "he's just going to take his new ball and go home" is a mystery.

Your feelings about the way I talk to people are just that: Your feelings. I deal in facts, not feelings. Fact: I am verbose, even loquacious. That doesn't mean I'm degrading. Far from it, even. It just means that for people to get what I'm saying, they need to have a reasonable command of the English language and a dictionary at the ready. How people perceive my words is on their end, and I don't trouble myself with such things. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'd never do anything to discourage people from thinking critically and coming to a conclusion. However, that doesn't mean that I am obligated to care.

Instab
30.08.10, 14:04
enough, this is not helping anyone

:bbclosed: