PDA

View Full Version : My computer disabled me for no reason

anon
16.08.10, 22:01
Today I turned my PC on and waited for the usual "zzzzzzzzzz, tick, tack, beep!". They didn't take place. The HDD activity light wasn't working either, and the PC speaker failed to beep when it should have done so. The only life signs were given by the dull roar of the many coolers inside the box.

Not the first time this happened. After retrying this several times, I arrived to the conclusion it was time to open the case (for the second time in around a week) and see what's up. The other times I solved the problem by just unplugging the main motherboard power cable, using an air "pear" to blow clean air on the connector, and plugging it back in, but this time that didn't work. Plugging some of those on another PSU did make the disks run and the PC speaker beep, though. OK, the aging 470W Vitsuba supply had gone boom, even thought it faithfully served the computer for about five years without any (major?) inconveniences, and it was time to replace it. With the time loss and all the cable-fiddling that implied. :dabs:

*fast forward*

My computer is now running on a 700-watt OCZ for overclockers. :gsmile:

cheatos
16.08.10, 22:32
Is this the week of getting screwed by your own PC?

a few days, Windows 7's WGA got my a$$ and i had to backup the whole system and format to a licensed XP,

Today my father's PC got screwed up for no reason, BSOD -> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

i tried disabling page file usage, tried uninstalling anti-virus...etc
loses: outlook express got currupted, BUT i recovered them using a software.
reason: faulty ram :dabs:, took me a lot of time deassembling, testing, booting into safe mode several times...etc

anon
16.08.10, 22:56
Is this the week of getting screwed by your own PC?

Looks like it. :dabs:

took me a lot of time deassembling, testing, booting into safe mode several times...etc

Yeah, that's the worst part - the amount of time lost. :gmad:

Otherwise, I don't mind opening my PC case every now and then. :gtongue:

Instab
17.08.10, 01:48
My computer disabled me for no reason

maybe he tried to tell you "Your account has been disabled" :lol:

caballero
17.08.10, 02:43
l "zzzzzzzzzz, tick, tack, beep!"

I liked this part :P

fakeking
17.08.10, 04:06
I liked this part :P

Is anon's PC really sounded like that when booting?, :unsure: :lol:. Time to get work and change your comp., anon (PS. Don't cheat while at work :tongue:)

Instab
17.08.10, 04:23
Is anon's PC really sounded like that when booting?, :unsure: :lol:. Time to get work and change your comp., anon (PS. Don't cheat while at work :tongü:)

that's the normal sound for older machines. the zzzzzzzz, tick and tack is the disk in most cases. actually that sounds are helpful so you can hear right away if there's something wrong.

desodorante
17.08.10, 14:42
700w..wooww. I am getting old people! I remember when PSUs used to be 200w!

Instab
17.08.10, 14:57
unless you got a fat gfx card you don't need 700

anon
17.08.10, 17:48
Zzzzzzzzzz = coolers
Tick, tack = disk heads beginning to move
Beep = PC speaker

:gtongue:

anon
07.03.11, 19:00
Woke up, had breakfast and turned the thing on. After it resumed from hibernation I tried to start my torrents, and they were all red. SB-I wasn't loading, either. Turns out my network card had a yellow "!" icon in the device manager. I tried disabling and re-enabling it, reinstalling the drivers, but nothing. Put the thing on standby and looked for the latest driver (and yes, replied to all new posts :gredface:) in my netbook.

I installed that and the yellow icon was gone, but the Internet still didn't work. Turns out the TCP/IP driver was dead, error 2 or something like that. Had no alternative other than closing all my tabs and rebooting the thing. :wdabs:

It works fine now. And I thought yoco had the strangest issues...

yoco
07.03.11, 23:14
It works fine now. And I thought yoco had the strangest issues...
LOL, I was just about to post same thing :D :D

Jokes aside, I had similar problem as you in your first post this week. Downloading a torrent, went for a lunch, came back and there's nothing but blackness on my monitor. Not a response at all. Try restarting, nothing. Not even a beep as you said. So I opened the case, unplugged a few cables, close it and it worked. Still works :D

anon
07.03.11, 23:44
nothing but blackness on my monitor. Not a response at all. Try restarting, nothing. Not even a beep as you said. So I opened the case, unplugged a few cables, close it and it worked. Still works :D

Exact same scenario here, a couple of years ago. The thing lit up and fans spun, but it didn't boot no matter what. Opened the PC case, unplugged a few things, used an air "pear" to remove dust from the connectors, and put them back where they were. It then worked.

Doesn't hurt to clean the thing once in a while, anyway. :gtongue:

supermarrioh
07.03.11, 23:55
Had a huge problem a few years ago.
My computer just disabled the video-output after a few hours of usage and it took it a few days before it was usable again. Changed nearly every part, cleaned and checked every connector and even gave it to an professional to take a look. Nothing.
After two weeks i got the clue and the problem was solved within 2 minutes. Guess what was wrong.

anon
07.03.11, 23:59
Overheating?

Maybe there was an envelope with sugar where the graphics card was supposed to be?

anon
08.03.11, 02:54
Looks like it was neither overheating nor sugar.

MiCRON
08.03.11, 03:09
I had this problem a couple of months back. As it turns out, the HEC ACE 480W i had can only serve me for 5 years. I got an XFX Pro 750 as it was the only non-generic PSU they closest shop had. :/

yoco
08.03.11, 10:42
Exact same scenario here, a couple of years ago. The thing lit up and fans spun, but it didn't boot no matter what. Opened the PC case, unplugged a few things, used an air "pear" to remove dust from the connectors, and put them back where they were. It then worked.

Doesn't hurt to clean the thing once in a while, anyway. :gtongue:
Indeed!
My first thought was that either my Radeon card or Power Supply died. Luckily it was neither :D

supermarrioh
10.03.11, 06:24
My monitor was broken.

isabella
16.03.11, 13:35
everytime I boot it says "cpu overheating press f1 to continue" even if it was powered off for days......sounds like I'll have to buy a new one soon.....well it served me well for 6 years.

ah and also all the chocolate in the usb ports....don't ask me how it got there....:rolling_eyes:

desodorante
16.03.11, 14:36
everytime I boot it says "cpu overheating press f1 to continue" even if it was powered off for days......sounds like I'll have to buy a new one soon.....well it served me well for 6 years.

ah and also all the chocolate in the usb ports....don't ask me how it got there....:rolling_eyes:

Ok...I won't ask about the chocolate...
The overheating issue is just the thermal paste that needs to be removed and replaced (99% sure). I'll say you do this ASAP or your computer may burn out (I've seen this happening!)

anon
16.03.11, 14:58
The overheating issue is just the thermal paste that needs to be removed and replaced (99% sure). I'll say you do this ASAP or your computer may burn out (I've seen this happening!)

What he said, and you definitely don't want that to happen to your CPU. However, most BIOSes should automatically cut power off when the processor's temperature reaches X degrees, but apparently that's not your case... what about checking its actual temperature with any of those countless monitoring programs?

And yeah, I won't ask about the chocolate either. I suppose it's one of those long stories.