PDA

View Full Version : Asus ARES: Is This The One Graphics Card To Rule Them All?

kazuya
16.07.10, 20:52
Asus' new ARES immediately earns bragging rights as one of the fastest single graphics cards ever created. We put the beast through a gauntlet of tests to measure this product's true power. At the end of the day, we answer whether it's worth four digits.

I love computer hardware. In fact, I love it so much that I built my career around it. But I have to admit, after reviewing countless graphics cards, nothing has ever come close to the excitement I experienced when I purchased my first 'big league' graphics card (It was the Canopus Pure3D by the way, sporting a colossal 6 MB of RAM when all of the other 3dfx Voodoo cards only had 4 MB). The point is that, as an experienced reviewer tasked with testing hardware all day, it's rare that I feel anything close to the gleeful anticipation I did in the days of my youth.

How strange for me, then, when I come to realize that I'm wearing a huge cheese-eating grin while unpacking the Asus ARES graphics card.

At first I am a bit puzzled by the package on my doorstep. Asus mentioned that a graphics card was being sent for review. But this package is huge. It looks more the size of a laptop. There's very little information about the product inside, other than a Republic of Gamers (RoG) logo on the top left and some small Radeon-related logos on the bottom.

Asus ARES: Is This The One Graphics Card To Rule Them All? : ARES, The Greek God Of War (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-ares-radeon-hd-5870-crossfire-4gb,2685.html)

SBfreak
17.07.10, 14:53
Bah.Nvidia is still the best.
Their drivers are awesome.With every new release I get better performances on the same game.

slikrapid
17.07.10, 17:19
the ruling graphics card would be one that can hold its throne against multiple contenders over an extended period of time, what kind of a kingdom is that where every 6 months or so a new king dethrones the old one? :P