PDA

View Full Version : [IRC] mIRC: Is it possible to limit the download ? And for the firewall ?

piratemeister
16.07.10, 11:48
Hi @all.
Hi would some info...
I'm downloading some files with mIRC. I would know (if possible) how limit the max download, for example to 160 kb/s.

For the firewall: I have all ports unlocked on my PC, but mIRC is needed I must add it to the Exceptions in Windows Firewall ???

Thanks is advance ! :top:

saebrtooth
16.07.10, 12:32
try this
NetLimiter - The Ultimate Bandwidth Shaper (http://www.netlimiter.com/)

It can shape your up down bandwidth.

Sazzy
16.07.10, 13:05
Any reasoning why you want to make your downloads go slower?

majorram007
16.07.10, 13:14
may be he has a limit to downloads.

piratemeister
16.07.10, 13:14
I have my good reason, mIRC can't use all my download bandwich... for the firewall ?

dreamer
16.07.10, 13:42
is your question how to open ports in the windows firewall?
which windows are you on?

anon
16.07.10, 14:09

Leaving more download bandwidth for other applications maybe?

On topic: NetLimiter should do the job.

piratemeister
16.07.10, 15:09
If is needed unlock mIRC in windows firewall....???

Sazzy
16.07.10, 15:17
If is needed unlock mIRC in windows firewall....???

Yes. Probably the wisest thing

Leaving more download bandwidth for other applications maybe?

Why download everything at the same time? :unsure: That way you have to wait ages to get anything. Might as well schedule better. And in case "other apps" are stuff like firefox, your OS would probably schedule that decently enough

anon
16.07.10, 15:48
Why download everything at the same time? :unsure:

Impatience. And if you were able to read my PM box, you'd see TheDeathless can be strongly associated with that noun :biggrin:

Sazzy
16.07.10, 15:52
Impatience. And if you were able to read my PM box, you'd see TheDeathless can be strongly associated with that noun :biggrin:

So counter-productive though :lol:

fakeking
16.07.10, 16:32
Thedeathless, are you trying to try all kind of filesharing/p2p program at the moment? :unsure:. From emule, torrent and now irc?

Btw, I suggest you to try usenet next time :tongue: (joke)

And try to not use different downloading application at the same time because it'll make your bandwidth wasted on overhead of each download application :smile:

slikrapid
16.07.10, 16:59
how limit the max download

afaik it can be done by default only if you're serving files, but for limiting downloads you'll probably have to search for a mirc script that does this

or try another irc client, like KVIrc

# IRC

* Multiserver connection
* Notify lists (yes, WATCH is supported)
* Ignore lists
* Registered users database
* Lag meter
* Configurable logging
* Standard DCC CHAT and SEND (with resume) support
* Extended DCC types: VOICE, RSEND, GET, RECV
* DCC CHAT over SSL
* DCC bandwidth limit (ability to set it "on the fly")

http://www.kvirc.net/?id=features&lang=en

For the firewall: I have all ports unlocked on my PC, but mIRC is needed I must add it to the Exceptions in Windows Firewall ???

it would be better to have all ports 'locked' and when some app needs it you can unlock it manually (by using some firewall app) - i wouldn't recommend using windows firewall at all

Faster
16.07.10, 17:12

You can limit your download speed so your upload speed would be higher than your download speed, and this is how you gain ratio without cheating the system. :biggrin:

anon
16.07.10, 17:14
Btw, I suggest you to try usenet next time :tongue: (joke)

Why not? After all, thanks to Just4Today you can take a joyride for free.

piratemeister
16.07.10, 18:48
No, I use 1 program for time. But when I use mIRC I can't surf in internet.
And mIRC is not p2p and I need this only for some week, I have some important things to transfer with my team...

About usenet, I have a 200/250 kb/s max in download and 25/30 kb/s upload and for me is enough...

The fact that I'm looking forward (impatient, done with google translator) is true, but about anon PM is because I like annoy anon. Is a sport and should make the tournament... the winner will be banned 1000 times from anon :D
I'm sure I will win :D !!!

OT: @anon... is needed much more time for finish the update... I have done my guide about bad features... I would post it before go on holiday but I would first see finished the update because I have past experience on other sites that lead me to wait until finished...

Bye @all and thanks @all

Sazzy
16.07.10, 18:50
No, I use 1 program for time. But when I use mIRC I can't surf in internet.

Weird, your OS should be able to balance that out.

And mIRC is not p2p

Wait, what? How are those transfers not p2p???

anon
16.07.10, 20:18
but about anon PM is because I like annoy anon. Is a sport and should make the tournament... the winner will be banned 1000 times from anon :D
I'm sure I will win :D !!!

Sometimes it's not funny, specially when I'm typing a long reply and I get a PM from you along the lines of:

And? Reply to me! :icon_angry[1]:
In the meantime.

OT: @anon... is needed much more time for finish the update... I have done my guide about bad features... I would post it before go on holiday but I would first see finished the update because I have past experience on other sites that lead me to wait until finished...

You can post it now if you desire.

piratemeister
16.07.10, 21:08
:D :D :D sorry

About the guide I go on holiday the 22... for that I have time.

fakeking
17.07.10, 04:04
anon, is this just4today thing legit like rapidshare link generator sites? Seriously I never try usenet b4. :frown:

anon
17.07.10, 18:11
Nope, it's a free Usenet server. Its login data works "just 4 today", as it changes every 24 hours. Have a look:
Just4Today.NET - Free Usenet (http://www.just4today.net/)

Resurrection
26.07.10, 05:00
Using usenet is a lot of hassle...

But once you get it set up,it'll be the best money you'll have ever spent...

I am saying money because you never the good stuff for free on usenet...

Also you do know the heirarchy of p2p right?

All the new stuff first appears on usenet.
Then various posters bring it out to the torrent scene and Gnutella and lastly filehosting sites...

Instab
26.07.10, 05:36
All the new stuff first appears on usenet.
Then various posters bring it out to the torrent scene and Gnutella and lastly filehosting sites...

yes but these timespans are short. don't think anyone dösn't have those few minutes or hours before there's a torrent

anon
26.07.10, 18:07
don't think anyone doesn't have those few minutes or hours before there's a torrent

Same stuff as with pretimes... I've yet to meet someone able to watch a full movie or finish a game in the amount of time between it's pre'd on SCC and available on any other tracker. The only reason I see to care about those is when you're "stealing" releases from the tracker to post them elsewhere, and speed is for some reason essential. Otherwise, it's like with rarity seeking, I simply don't understand it.

Resurrection
27.07.10, 04:54
Perhaps the biggest reason most people use newsgroup is not for the newness of the content but for security and privacy...
That I think is newsgroup's biggest draw...

People in the strict cyberlaws countries usually hate using torrents...