PDA

View Full Version : [eMule] Nick and security. What you think about that ?

piratemeister
13.07.10, 15:38
Hello
I open this thread to know what you think of nick eMule
then ... I'm a releaser and put my files on a board Italian and I was advised not to use the same nick on the board emule because it is so easily traceable releaser

I ask this question for the operation Fake Community Nick Addon you think I should use the default nick on eMule, or is not a risk set TheDeathless, the name wich I use on the italian board ?

Thank @all in advance :top:

desodorante
13.07.10, 16:43
Not sure really. It does constitute a hint in my opinion, but how far can you get from there? If you are worried about legal actions against you, it may offer a way to correlate the IP used in the forum with the one assigned to your emule client.

anon
13.07.10, 18:31
Nicks aren't even a problem for anti-P2P companies - there are way more accurate ways to uniquely identify you in the network. You can change yours to something else if that makes you feel better, of course.

piratemeister
13.07.10, 21:02
I think I will continue to use "TheDeathless"... wainting for other answers

TempHK01
28.07.10, 13:31
Hi TheDeathless (I'm italian too, and as you said in other topic I'll send you a PM as soon as I can, reaching of at least 10 mex)
however I think that a really common nick can improve the security but not very much. As said by anon there is the simplest way to identify you and I mean by your IP so if someone who have a lot of skill or maybe some ISP wants to identify you it's very easy by your IP unless you have a lot of skill too and use some sort of IP camouflage.
I'm not an expert but someone say that with a VPN (IPSec) you can be a lot more safe.

starforce
28.07.10, 13:48
No matter what name you use anti p2p companiescen cen trace you It's not about nick it is about what you ar shering dont use Special Name nick This makes them live too easy too trace you
Hide My Ass! Free Proxy and Privacy Tools - Surf The Web Anonymously (http://www.hidemyass.com/) this is fabtstick software to hide ip
go for it
regards
starforce

TempHK01
28.07.10, 13:55
but you can use that service on emule?
I mean this is a SW that you have to install to connect to a secure VPN? and you know if they save the logs of the connection?
because if they save the logs, maybe some ISPs can request them to identify you

P.S.: it's free?

piratemeister
28.07.10, 15:23
About the nick... yes the IP is the important but if you post 1000 copyright files on forum with nick TheDeathless and a policeman see that post and download 1 your release in eMule and see in your illegal file the nick TheDeathless... you are the first objective.

TempHK01
28.07.10, 15:30
yeah...for this you have completely right but from the nickname he cannot know which is your IP. I mean that if he DL one of your file on emule he knows exactly which is your IP no matter what nickname you use.

P.S.: I send you a PM, please when you can, read that (or maybe you already have XD)

piratemeister
28.07.10, 15:36
I know all IP of all client wich I see in eMule :D

system28
28.07.10, 15:39
SPYmule - eMule client | Download SPYmule - eMule client software for free at SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/spymule/) for example

TempHK01
28.07.10, 15:41
exactly...I think that security maybe can only be done by some VPN on country that do not have restrictive laws and more important from providers that don't save the connection log (that contains your actual IP, of your home)

As I said, I'm not an expert but if someone else knows better things please let us know XD (I know, my English sucks but I think it's understandable)

P.S.: what is this SPYmule?

system28
28.07.10, 15:45
Try it !

SPYmule is an eMule client which offers a WHOIS query and an IP logging database to detect file sharing users in the eDonkey2000 network.

piratemeister
28.07.10, 15:46
@Temp: In Italy the situation is particular, because all people download from internet and the provider don't never tell who is the IP wich download illegal. In any case, use eMule with only KAD for less exposition, and in Italy you can stay sure. (also if you say "I'm downloading copyright files" to the policeman you are safe in Italy :D )
For example all don't know what's an IP filter, and a lot of people use servers spy. was never arrested anyone?

@sys: Also with SBI leecher mod you see all IP wich have a file wich you request... but a lot of program identify the IP where you are connected. Security in p2p don't exist, if you want be anonimous use I2P (I2P ? I remember right ?) or another anonimous network. For example iMule use that network.

TempHK01
28.07.10, 15:54
well yeah, here in Italy neither the killers are arrested or if so after 1 year are just free at least XD however sorry for the off-topic but I always use only the KAD because the server now are useless I think.
Anyways if you really want the most protection ever is to steel the wi-fi connection of one of your noob neighbor, here in Italy there are plenty of them ahaha

anon
28.07.10, 19:11
if you want be anonimous use I2P (I2P ? I remember right ?) or another anonimous network. For example iMule use that network.

Indeed it's called I2P and iMule runs on that anonymous network, but it can only connect to other iMules.

TempHK01 was wrong when he said he was a noob - I see intelligent discussion here, and I'm in a giving mood, so I just reversed his spam warning :) Do well.

starforce
28.07.10, 19:31
but you can use that service on emule?
I mean this is a SW that you have to install to connect to a secure VPN? and you know if they save the logs of the connection?
because if they save the logs, maybe some ISPs can request them to identify you

P.S.: it's free?
it is not free
end yes it is working with emule

TempHK01
28.07.10, 22:37
Indeed it's called I2P and iMule runs on that anonymous network, but it can only connect to other iMules.

TempHK01 was wrong when he said he was a noob - I see intelligent discussion here, and I'm in a giving mood, so I just reversed his spam warning :) Do well.

Thanks for treating me not a noob but even if I'm a telecomunication engineer this field are more of Informatics. I study only a little bit of P2P network in one course but a lot of cryptographic technique and IPSec. So what can I say is that if you use a communication via VPN secured with IPSec nobody in you country (or for precision in the middle of the tunnel created by the VPN) can spoof what you are UPLoading or DONWLoading because it's all encrypted. Maybe you guys already knows this but I think that a VPN service can provide some protection and if the provider of the service really don't save the logs of the connection, you are practically in a barrel of iron (I don't know in the translation from Italian is correct XD). The only downside is that you must give up part of the bandwith of your connection in most cases, because these services even if you pay for that, do not guarantee a considerable bandwidth.
I'm saying this for personal experience with one of this service VPN providers (like 4€/month for the VPN access).
If anyone else have a better experience please tell us the name of the provider XD

P.S: Maybe I went a bit too off-topic here ;-)

piratemeister
03.01.11, 22:00
So in final, for you people, if I set my nick in eMule, and I have posted copyright protected files with this nick, can be a problem ?

anon
03.01.11, 22:02
Maybe. Act as if it was.

I've always used the default nick. Never saw the need to change it.

Renk
05.01.11, 02:31
Hello
I open this thread to know what you think of nick eMule
then ... I'm a releaser and put my files on a board Italian and I was advised not to use the same nick on the board emule because it is so easily traceable releaser

I ask this question for the operation Fake Community Nick Addon you think I should use the default nick on eMule, or is not a risk set TheDeathless, the name wich I use on the italian board ?

Thank @all in advance :top:

I think it's at risk. Certainly nicknames aren't a legal proof. Even IP is questionnable (eg if you have a dynamic IP, or if someone hacks your wifi access). But as some other members said, correlation could be made. More precisely, having the same non widely used nickname may help to do some correlations. Nickname give some bit of informations about you. And don't forget: Knowing you are italian, less than 26 bits are sufficient to perfectly identify you. In order to be stealth, you have to try to not differenciate yourself from others.

What is true for Nickname is true for emule user's ID: Not a legal proof of course, but an entry point to perform correlations, leading to focus in order to profile you.

I think in order to be as anonymous as possible, you have to regularly change you RSA key, your IP (in such a way that each of these IP is difficult to attribute to you, eg VPN (*)), the files you share, and to use a widely used (and then insignificant) nickname such that http ://emule-project.net.

[paranoïd mode := exponential]
(*) Don't forget: IF your VPN connections are logged (and it's safer to assume they are), you can easily be identified as son as you use the same vpn for filesharing and for connecting eg to personnal webmails. So the better is to have a dedicated PC for filesharing behind a reputable vpn, a PC with whole disk encryption, which you never use to connect to something linked to your true identity, a PC connecting to the internet through a shared IP VPN, with mac address spoofing (and better through a double shared IP VPN, with 2 differents vpn, in 2 different countries that are unlikely to cooperate), payed in an anonymous way (eg through Tor) with prepaid cards bought with cash in cities far away from the location you are living.
[paranoid mode := basic]

SPYmule - eMule client | Download SPYmule - eMule client software for free at SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/spymule/) for example

Very interesting:

SPYmule is an eMule client which offers a WHOIS query and an IP logging database to detect file sharing users in the eDonkey2000 network.

Couldn't this kind of tool be used to detect spy people ? For example, normal a file is shared on the network through many hashes. A normal user is requesting the network for only one of them. But antip2p people are sending many requests concerning the different ashes of the same file. This behaviour, if detected, may help to identify them (IP + UserID).

piratemeister
05.01.11, 09:38
Thanks for your big explanation Renk. I will set default.

anon
05.01.11, 17:35
Couldn't this kind of tool be used to detect spy people ? For example, normal a file is shared on the network through many hashes. A normal user is requesting the network for only one of them. But antip2p people are sending many requests concerning the different ashes of the same file. This behaviour, if detected, may help to identify them (IP + UserID).

What do you mean with different hashes of the same file?