PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion : A 'Like' Button

crystal
04.07.10, 00:27
Thanks button conveys the message most of the time , but at times there are posts which we may like/agree on/appreciate , but 'thanking' is not an appropriate button for that particular post .

i personally feel that a like Button (just like the thank you button) would be a great addition to the site !

anon
04.07.10, 00:47
That's so... Facebook :huh:

Personally, I think the Thanks button suffices for what you talk about...

SBfreak
04.07.10, 00:50
Reminds me of youtube.

At the moment we have:
thanks->if the post was helpful;
good rep->the post really helped you;
bad rep->the post was unnecessarily,other motives;

Instab
04.07.10, 00:52
thanks can be seen as 'like' and/or 'thanks'. i see no need for anything more than that.

SBfreak
04.07.10, 00:54
Maybe we can change the http://www.sb-innovation.de/enlighten/buttons_eng_10/thanks.gif to [ Like ]?

Instab
04.07.10, 00:57
Maybe we can change the image (http://www.sb-innovation.de/enlighten/buttons_eng_10/thanks.gif) to [ Like ]?

never :P

SBfreak
04.07.10, 00:59
Just saying....:unsure:

Instab
04.07.10, 01:00
well, there's even a addon to imitate the facebook 'like' but for what?
'thanks' dös cover both well imho

SealLion
04.07.10, 01:06
you know, I have to agree.
I find that the Thanks button actually conveys quite a bit more information than just 'thanks'. And as such, I think that it is actually sufficient.

Many times, the 'thanks' conveys messages such as 'yes. I agree with you. Your a dork and I like you'.

In my personal opinion, I think that if we have too many buttons, it'll over-populate the post with too many options for the intended user. New users usually find out pretty quick what the 'thanks' button can be used for.

For example, using the 'thanks' button can also be used for things such as
telling the poster " thanks for agreeing with me and for being so facinorous.

or....

'thanks for giving away that great invite or account. Your special. '

or...

"Thanks for posting such useful information. I could use it the next time I cheat on my wife."

when we have a 'like' button, who knows what it could convey. It could convey 'Hey, I like you, wanna do something naughty??"

SBfreak
04.07.10, 01:09
when we have a 'like' button, who knows what it could convey. It could convey 'Hey, I like you, wanna do something naughty??"
I totally agree with you,one thing though.
You like the post not the user:P

Instab
04.07.10, 01:30
'yes. I agree with you. Your a dork and I like you'.

or....

'thanks for giving away that great invite or account. Your special. '

or...

"Thanks for posting such useful information. I could use it the next time I cheat on my wife."

It could convey 'Hey, I like you, wanna do something naughty??"

very good and colorful examples as always. i think these don't leave any doubt :tongü:

Blocker
04.07.10, 02:00
bad rep->the post was unnecessarily,other motives;

Where'sthe bad rep button?

Only an advanced user feature :confused:

SealLion
04.07.10, 02:02
I totally agree with you,one thing though.
You like the post not the user:P

yes. Of course you like the post.

As a matter of fact, you like the post so much that even while it spontaneously burst into flames, you, thinking on your feet, managed to quickly 'bad rep' the poor fellow because he double posted and as we've all know since grade school, double posting is a sign of retardation.

One can usually quickly spot a double poster.

Here are the signs and symptoms of double posting for which we DO NOT give Thanks for:

1. Narfism;
2. having fat hands;
3. and using a very well known adjective that is commonly used to describe the time any one of us has with Fred Flintstone.

So you see, using the thanks button has an innumerable and capaciousness number of seasons and reasons to using it.

very good and colorful examples as always. i think these don't leave any doubt :tongue:

using the Thanks' button for any of the aforementioned examples, should without a doubt, leave one fully knowledgeable and completely informed that using the 'thanks' button can even be used for pastafarianism unto that poster ( what-ever that means);
or even saying Thanks, I like your flying spaghetti monster. ;
or even saying Thanks. I'll say the 'noodle prayer for you tonight"

Our pasta, who art in a colander, draining be your noodles.
Thy noodle come,
Thy sauce be yum, on top some grated Parmesan.
Give us this day our garlic bread, and don't give us that spicy-sauce, as we forgive that which burns our tongues.
And lead us not into vegetarianism, but deliver us some pizza, for thine is the meatball, the onion, and the bay leaves, forever and ever.

fakeking
04.07.10, 04:10
Where'sthe bad rep button?

Only an advanced user feature :confused:

I think when you clicked on rep button in the particular post there'll be two options, right? 'I approve' (good rep) and 'I disapprove' (bad rep).

Advanced user (in sb-i, known as mods) have their own option to give infraction to particular post. Infraction != Bad rep, infraction is breaking rules mean while bad rep is just bad rep/karma :biggrin:

yoco
04.07.10, 10:31
That's so... Facebook :huh:

Personally, I think the Thanks button suffices for what you talk about...

Completly agree. Thank you button is more than enough IMO. Not to mention you can add a reputation to user if you really like it.
:top:

hellman
04.07.10, 12:35
i don't like the idea of like buttons... sealLion is right it can convey wrong info.. and i know many here who will misuse it:lol:

ontopic now- well thanks convey everything .. your appreciation + u liked the post..

example -- i made a joke in a post and someone liked it.. thank represent it
http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?threadid=20998#post204108
in above libk there's nothing useful but people still liked it and hit the thanks
button and that does the job:wink:

fakeking
04.07.10, 12:53
How about an user who's happen to like another user like you and anon relationship :unsure:

How will we fulfill the needs there, hellman? (joke)

crystal
04.07.10, 13:49
the like button becomes a little facebook'ish no doubt about that ( thats what happens when you visit facebook regularly :pinch:) but at times there are posts you feel that for a particular post deserved a like rather than a thank you , for example when we few people are debating over something and when you agree on some points or has made good points . the "thanks" at times is not well suited . even in this thread SealLion has nicely put forward examples and i "liked" his post .

but i agree with the points posted , its not that a needed addition and the thanks button serves the purpose for both .

SealLion
04.07.10, 14:49
@crystal. I hope I didn't offend you with my perky jocularity.

basically, I only wanted to make my opinion known via a different course of wording....I do that sometimes.
It's an alternative method I use to express myself at times.

Your idea deserves merit and just for that, I decided to 'thank' you for it and give you good 'rep' you for it. .
Yes, that's right.
Thanks for your wonderful idea------- usually in the form of a shining light source above one's head, that is.
I believe that light source ( i.e.....er.....the idea) is actually a light bulb that might be lightly radioactive.
I would hold on to your idea as it can come in useful when there's a power outage, for example.
It could be useful then.

crystal
04.07.10, 17:21
@crystal. I hope I didn't offend you with my perky jocularity.

basically, I only wanted to make my opinion known via a different course of wording....I do that sometimes.
It's an alternative method I use to express myself at times.

Your idea deserves merit and just for that, I decided to 'thank' you for it and give you good 'rep' you for it. .
Yes, that's right.
Thanks for your wonderful idea------- usually in the form of a shining light source above one's head, that is.
I believe that light source ( i.e.....er.....the idea) is actually a light bulb that might be lightly radioactive.
I would hold on to your idea as it can come in useful when there's a power outage, for example.
It could be useful then.

:lol: not offended at all , on the contrary having discussions like this makes me even more happy to be a member of this site :top:

fakeking
04.07.10, 17:28
crystal, any good girl in your FB to recommend?

On-topic: I guess case closed so the thread can be closed, right?

SealLion
04.07.10, 18:14
Yes.
Case closed.
Discussion ended.
Thread closed.