PDA

View Full Version : Ten shocking World Cup moments

kazuya
02.06.10, 20:03
Every four years, the World Cup produces a smorgasbord of stunning football, great goals and controversial moments that will be remembered for a long time to come.

Here CNN Sport takes a closer look at some of the more contentious incidents from the past 18 stagings of soccer's premier tournament -- events that sparked widespread debate.

We have selected 10 that we believe not only gripped the world of football, but sent shockwaves around the globe as well -- but do you agree with our list?

Ten shocking World Cup moments - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/05/30/football.world.cup.controversies/index.html?hpt=C1)

Blocker
03.06.10, 02:40
I like the list also I agree with the fist psoition:

1. Diego Maradona, 1986

Just four years earlier, Argentina and England had been at war over the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands. Casualties were high on both sides in some of the bloodiest battles seen anywhere since the end of World War II.

With tensions still high between the nations, fate decreed that they were drawn together in the quarterfinals in Mexico City.

Aged 25, Maradona was at his peak, running at defenses with devastating pace and skill. In the 51st minute, one such surge resulted in the ball looping into the air off a defender, before Maradona punched it into the net just ahead of the advancing goalkeeper Peter Shilton.

Incensed England players claimed handball -- and the TV replays and photos of the incident were conclusive -- but the goal stood.

Maradona was to go on and score one of the greatest goals in history as Argentina won the game 2-1 on their way to eventually lifting the trophy.

Maradona, now Argentina's national coach, later admitted what he had done, famously claiming it was the "Hand of God," and so maintaining a rivalry between the countries which stands to this day.

He later wrote in his autobiography that the incident was "revenge" for the Malvinas war: "We blamed the English players for everything that happened, for all the suffering of the Argentine people." :top:

This is the goal :eek3:

YouTube - Maradona hand of god

But I prefer this goal

YouTube - Diego Maradona's Goal of the Century.

kazuya
03.06.10, 10:33
and they say soccer before was slow,what was then slow here.he passes players with simple body trick,catches them on wrong foot,today they do some cheap trick's and don't get far,just dancing in place.

C3PO
03.06.10, 10:42
The germans are present in 3 of the 10 :redface:

kazuya
03.06.10, 11:05
germans always had some "shocking" moments :biggrin:

Blocker
03.06.10, 16:55
Currently Messi could be the new Maradona :eek3:

YouTube - Messi Super Goal VS Maradona 1986

YouTube - Messi-Maradona Hand of God

kazuya
03.06.10, 16:58
Currently Messi could be the new Maradona

no chance,never!!!

dreamer
03.06.10, 18:50
no chance,never!!!

even Maradona himself said Messi could pass his best works in this world cup.
let's wait and see if Messi delivers!

kazuya
03.06.10, 18:53
they said every cup Argentina will win,we saw that :rolleyes2: i think they will maybe not even pass Group. even if Messi wins world cup he plays with way better players in Argentina team as Maradona then.

caballero
03.06.10, 19:08
Everyone is praising Messi while they haven't seen anything. Barcelona has great midfield players, this is why Messi is so good, without them; he's nothing (the key is Iniesta and Xavi).

If he's really talented, he's got a whole month to prove so.

Personally, I think he won't be as good in Argentina as he's in Barcelona. What a shock it will be then, (to his fans)

On topic: The most shocking for me is the 1966 final, really bad moment for Germany.

hellman
03.06.10, 19:38
germans always had some "shocking" moments :biggrin:

what did u means germans always have shocking moments.. any special reason?? :unsure:

SBfreak
03.06.10, 20:07
Lol He really scored with his hand.:confused2:
Don't laugh this is the first time I see this:P

kazuya
03.06.10, 20:08
what did u means germans always have shocking moments.. any special reason?? :unsure:

Croatia vs Germany ,WC 1998 that was shocking :tongue:

Blocker
03.06.10, 22:12
This was an epic moment on the past FIFA World Cup:tongue:

YouTube - Zidane Sent Off World Cup 2006

crystal
04.06.10, 12:19
Everyone is praising Messi while they haven't seen anything. Barcelona has great midfield players, this is why Messi is so good, without them; he's nothing (the key is Iniesta and Xavi).

If he's really talented, he's got a whole month to prove so.

Personally, I think he won't be as good in Argentina as he's in Barcelona. What a shock it will be then, (to his fans)

On topic: The most shocking for me is the 1966 final, really bad moment for Germany.

i agree with every word said above about Messi . he is exposed when he plays for Argentina . he has always played below par for Argentina and in Champions League also he is below average when playing against the teams in the same level of Barcelona (Inter Milan , Chelsea , Man Utd) . geenrally against these teams players like Xavi , Iniesta and recently Pedro rise up to show their class and not Messi .

Unless he wins the World cup for Argentina or does something very special in the World Cup , he can never be considered a great like Maradona or Pele .

Donatas
15.06.10, 23:29
North Korea scoring against Brazil must be added to that list.

crystal
16.06.10, 11:54
it would have been a shock if North Korea took the lead with the goal or scored in within 10 minutes of the start . the way Brazil played yesterday , after 89 minutes of poor display ii was not a shock that North Korea scored a goal .

Edit : Now thats a Shock today :biggrin: Switzerland defeating Spain 1-0 .

Donatas
18.06.10, 02:20
True, Spain had such a terrible match. Mexico provided a little upset too.

crystal
19.06.10, 00:41
England draws against Algeria , France loses against Mexico . guess this world cup is really matching up with the upsets of 2002 World Cup . the whole world will laugh if England , Spain and France (they almost have) would not be able to qualify from their group .

Sazzy
22.06.10, 12:50
Portugal winning from North Korea with 7 - 0 :lol:

SBfreak
22.06.10, 13:25
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5599/129208506604604054.jpg

rps
22.06.10, 20:11
what u think about France game? I expected this "LOL'cup" :D They played like before ( cant rememmber this mondial) 1pts and 0 goals :D

Blocker
22.06.10, 23:48
what u think about France game? I expected this "LOL'cup" :D They played like before ( cant rememmber this mondial) 1pts and 0 goals :D

They have the worst performance in years.

Imagine they are the sub champions of the last world cup

Disappointing performance and attitude

Sazzy
23.06.10, 00:07
They have the worst performance in years.

It's not just them imho. Most teams were kinda bad.

Sazzy
28.06.10, 21:32
http://i50.tinypic.com/1zojo9j_th.png (http://i50.tinypic.com/1zojo9j.png)

edit: ups sorry for double post, if a mod can merge maybe?

hazz030
30.06.10, 22:16
i don't know why everyone is complaining but the ball was definately not behind the line.
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3245/33995401793722953667pcr.jpg

crystal
01.07.10, 17:57
agreed it was unfair , but its been blown out of proportion . this kind of incidents have happened many times over the years . if this kind of incident would have happened between Mongolia and Namibia (for example) , then neither the audience nor FIFA would have cared . just because this is England this has been extremely hyped .

Sazzy
02.07.10, 11:48
plus it was 4-1 anyway. You wouldn't have won, England!

rps
02.07.10, 23:32
shocking? penalty in ending OT. :((( Ghana WHY ???? :(

Extraterrestrial
02.07.10, 23:46
I'm very sad today, this must be the most shocking world cup moment, Suarez must not play again in world cup :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

C3PO
03.07.10, 00:20
Why not it was very clever from him to do that.

Extraterrestrial
03.07.10, 00:32
Why not it was very clever from him to do that.
It's unfair, he's a player not a goal keeper :mad2:

crystal
03.07.10, 00:43
the problem is with the rules of FIFA . they have a strange law of awarding a penalty when the ball is about to go into the net , it should be awarded directly a goal with the red card and not a penalty with the red card . i feel really sad for Ghana , i was rooting for them to reach the semis . but Suarez must be a hero for his country for what he did today , even i would have done the same if i were in his place .

slikrapid
03.07.10, 01:59
the problem is with the rules of FIFA . they have a strange law of awarding a penalty when the ball is about to go into the net

nothing strange about that, the ball didn't enter the goal so it cannot be a goal, the same would happen (albeit punished with a yellow card) if the ball was intentionally stopped with a hand from exiting the playing field (the ball isn't out, thus no throw-in gets performed)

crystal
03.07.10, 13:36
nothing strange about that, the ball didn't enter the goal so it cannot be a goal, the same would happen (albeit punished with a yellow card) if the ball was intentionally stopped with a hand from exiting the playing field (the ball isn't out, thus no throw-in gets performed)

for me and millions of others around the world are of the opinion that a goal should be awarded as this was a different thing altogether where the ball was obstructed from going into the net and not a handball somewhere in the midfield . even a blind man could probably see that the ball was going into the net was was saved from Suarez's hands from the line . for such exceptional situations the rule should be revised and should not be a red card and a penalty but goal awarded directly + the red card . if this Suarez incident is taken lightly , then in future players during dying moments of the game will stand on the line just block the ball by their hands and all 11 will turn goalkeepers , play handball rather than football and take a red card for the team .

slikrapid
03.07.10, 19:07
for me and millions of others around the world are of the opinion that a goal should be awarded

the reasoning behind rules afaik is to keep them as simple/clear as possible and avoid going too much into details (special cases, opinion based decisions) as it complicates decision making and widens the possibilities of alternative interpretations, thus making it harder to defend the logic behind them (especially if the nuance between decisions gets too subtle)

in this light, the rule that if the ball didn't enter the goal (or more generally, didn't cross the line) then there is no basis to assume (the interpretation area) it did (or possibly would) is quite a good example of a simple/clear rule

as for players just standing at the goal line - afaik there is no explicit rule against it and it obviously isn't a popular/useful tactics, otherwise just about everyone would attempt such a defense, ie. it would be used on a large scale

further, loosing a player (hand play - red card) is a serious disadvantage for any team, especially when the teams are at a similar level/skill of playing

furthermore, having a penalty kick in football is getting as close as possible to scoring without being obstructed by other players

and lastly these rules have been used for years now (some even decades or more) and it seems they are generally working rather well and therefore need no major revision (except, for example, the camera usage for determining whether the ball has crossed the goal line) unless there is a (substantial) increase in unexpected/illegal moves/habits of the game participants or other negative game elements

dreamer
03.07.10, 19:52
he must play every world cup!
wow, that sacrifice! winning at all cost. everything for the team, for your country...
when he was sent out crying it was just sad. and then when they missed the penalty..

what's more shocking is Brazil is out and so is Argentina!

Extraterrestrial
03.07.10, 21:35
he must play every world cup!
wow, that sacrifice! winning at all cost. everything for the team, for your country...
when he was sent out crying it was just sad. and then when they missed the penalty..
It depends on whether you cheer for Ghana or Uruguay.

what's more shocking is Brazil is out and so is Argentina!

Both Holland and Germany deserved their place in the semi-final.

4-0 what a crushing defeat for Argentina especially for Mardona, he should be ashamed of himself and get a job other than coaching:tongue::tongue::tongue:

kazuya
03.07.10, 21:41
Coach isn't fault when players don't know to play...that way my grandma could play if it depends on coach

Extraterrestrial
03.07.10, 22:38
Coach isn't fault when players don't know to play...that way my grandma could play if it depends on coach
He simply still thinks as a player not as a coach. Attacking with 5 won't get him anywhere other than his home.

Players!!
Messi, Higuain , De maria and Tevez and you're talking about players!
If he knew how to put the best formation and create a balance between attack and defense, then there is no reason for not wining the world cup.

What a failed coach!

kazuya
04.07.10, 09:17
Failed players!!spoiled little ballerinas!!they are not f**ck robots so you can control and program them how to play. they even blame the ball...

Extraterrestrial
04.07.10, 09:43
Failed players!!spoiled little ballerinas!!they are not f**ck robots so you can control and program them how to play. they even blame the ball...

A good manager knows how to control his players.
Look at the German team, they look like robots, every player has a specific task to do assigned by the manger and the result is an organized team :wink:

piratemeister
04.07.10, 10:09
The Germany wich win 4-0 with Argentina is a relly surprise ! I'm shocked ! :shockkk!:

fakeking
04.07.10, 11:05
:lol: true that yoyojojo. They're like robotic army from germany especially when defending.

kazuya
04.07.10, 11:19
Look at the German team, they look like robots, every player has a specific task to do assigned by the manger and the result is an organized team

you right there,but every team has some given task,the problem is just that some players don't listen and accomplish the given task.maybe the point is that Germans are not so technically good so they have no other then to listen and hold to tactics unlike Argentina which have good players that think they can make something better all by them self.

Maybe Germans are some freaking robots :eek13:

fakeking
04.07.10, 11:34
kazuya, don't mess about germans in a german cheating forum :lol: :unsure:

Extraterrestrial
04.07.10, 13:58
you right there,but every team has some given task,the problem is just that some players don't listen and accomplish the given task
If it was only one match, i would believe you but it was crystal clear from the qualification matches back in 2009 that Mardona isn't a good coach.
He was an excellent player but a good player doesn't always have to be a good coach.
I was watching the match with two of my friends and we all agreed that the Argentinian team need to have a midfielder like Veron except Mardona who was watching the match just like us.
A manager who is unable to make use Messi and the two best attacking players (Higuain and Tevez) is a failed coach.

maybe the point is that Germans are not so technically good so they have no other then to listen and hold to tactics unlike Argentina which have good players that think they can make something better all by them self.

I don't like the German style of playing too much but truth must be told, they have some good players like ( Klause-Muller-Oziel) but not as good as Argentina.
The difference is that they have a quality manager who is able to control his players unlike Mardona.

Maybe Germans are some freaking robots

kazuya, don't mess about germans in a german cheating forum

:lool:

SBfreak
04.07.10, 14:03
Well these robots may as well win The World Cup.
When it comes to football I'm with them:D

Sazzy
04.07.10, 14:05

Germans all the way :lol:

crystal
04.07.10, 14:13
the way Spain played yesterday , we dont need any predictions from the psychic octopus that Germany will be all over them in the Semi-finals . if they defeated England and Argentina by scoring 4 goals , then they would probably put 6 goals against Spain .

kazuya
04.07.10, 14:23
two best attacking players (Higuain and Tevez)

who say's they are the best,newspapers,they also say Paris Hilton and Britney Spears are so cool and pretty:rolleyes2: in my opinion whichever player in German defense is better attacker then this two attackers together :tongue:

fakeking
04.07.10, 14:31
:lol: physics octopus. I wonder what if Paul get to Spain's flag (will he been cooked :eek3:)

Extraterrestrial
04.07.10, 17:32
who say's they are the best,newspapers,they also say Paris Hilton and Britney Spears are so cool and pretty in my opinion whichever player in German defense is better attacker then this two attackers together
I completely disagree with you, those two players are imho the best attacking players in the whole tournament but unfortunately there was no support to them by the midfielders so that they were forced to go back getting the ball from the midfield and wasting their energy because of the bad formation and tactic applied by Mardona .

the way Spain played yesterday , we dont need any predictions from the psychic octopus that Germany will be all over them in the Semi-finals . if they defeated England and Argentina by scoring 4 goals , then they would probably put 6 goals against Spain .

Spain may not that strong but they have ( Xavi- Iniesta ) who will control the midfield, create a priority over the German team and launch many opportunities for scoring goals.

I will cheer for Spain and they will most likely win the competition :wink:

piratemeister
04.07.10, 17:34
The only team wich can Stop this Germany are the Netherlans for me (always if the players play like with Argentina and England) :top:

kazuya
04.07.10, 19:30
I completely disagree with you, those two players are imho the best attacking players in the whole tournament

for you they are,some say pele,maradona,eusebio suck,for some the best player is some "don't know to spell the name" from North Korea...for some my grandma has best ass:tongue:

The only team wich can Stop this Germany are the Netherlans for me (always if the players play like with Argentina and England)

you can't know that,Serbia defeated Germany and everybody thought Germany will win

C3PO
04.07.10, 19:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJfxXXcz_U&feature=player_embedded

slikrapid
04.07.10, 20:10

indeed, the german team (machinery :biggrin:) has shown imo the most capable gameplay so far, if they can keep up the current level no other team should present a significant obstacle to them, not to mention they managed to virtually destroy argentina, who besides brazil were probably the strongest teams on this tournament

also, spain didn't show much superiority so far, uruguay struggled even against ghana and netherlands was way too lucky against brazil

as for the trainer-players discussion, they obviously 'both' need to be very capable (make no mistake, maradona is way more capable than he seems on the outside) in order for their vision to be translated into meaningful gameplay - the same can be said (to a somewhat lesser extent) for the rest of the supporting team members/assistants

fakeking
05.07.10, 03:46
Well, i think URU can beat them because URU is pretty very defensive

Extraterrestrial
07.07.10, 23:22
Spain may not that strong but they have ( Xavi- Iniesta ) who will control the midfield, create a priority over the German team and launch many opportunities for scoring goals.

I will cheer for Spain and they will most likely win the competition :wink:

:top::top::top::top::top::top::top::top:

I should be rewarded for this post.

( Xavi- Iniesta ) ftw .

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Edit: I got my reward, thanks guys :smile:

SBfreak
07.07.10, 23:50
I cheered for Germany but I have to say Spain were somehow better.
The German team played like some overused robots.:dabs:
That corner ruined all:frown:

Sazzy
08.07.10, 00:23
That corner ruined all:frown:

Agreed, their only goal wasn't even spectacular at all.
Though I'm highly disappointed in Germany. EVERY game so far was highly entertaining. Then they have to play the semi final and it just sucked. You're not gonna tell me Muller was THAT important in the team (even though being amazing)

crystal
08.07.10, 02:39
Germany waited too long for their famous counter attacks and let the subpar Spain side get momentum . just one good header decided the outcome . this present Spain team is probably one of the most undeserving world cup finalists ever but they have made their own luck and fought their way through .

one thing Netherlands could learn is that they have to hassle and unsettle Xavi since any productive attack moves Spain have produced are through him , especially those back flips which Xavi has done alot for overlapping runs for David Villa .

fakeking
08.07.10, 03:03
Germany waited too long for their famous counter attacks and let the subpar Spain side get momentum . just one good header decided the outcome . this present Spain team is probably one of the most undeserving world cup finalists ever but they have made their own luck and fought their way through .

one thing Netherlands could learn is that they have to hassle and unsettle Xavi since any productive attack moves Spain have produced are through him , especially those back flips which Xavi has done alot for overlapping runs for David Villa .

You forget about Iniesta. Meanwhile Spain need to watch for 3 attacking midfield of Netherlands

kazuya
08.07.10, 11:34
watch again replay from england and argentina,germany was not that good,these teams where just bad.and england had 2:2 but the goal was not accepted,england could won,and argentina players in defence where just standing like zombies and letting players pass trough.netherlands are also bad,they just defeated brasil with luck,even Uruguay was better

fakeking
08.07.10, 14:29
kazuya, nothing is perfect match nowadays. We can't expect great jogo bonito or great maradona even total football from netherland now.

It's all about tactic now not just the beauty of a game. That's an affect when football became serious money making business. :biggrin:

About Uruguay, have you seen their match against Ghana. I hate them because of defensive style and Luis Suarez's hand of devil :tongue: so I don't think they deserve to be in final :biggrin:

Extraterrestrial
08.07.10, 15:05
About Uruguay, have you seen their match against Ghana. I hate them because of defensive style and Luis Suarez's hand of devil :tongue: so I don't think they deserve to be in final :biggrin:

:heulsuse::heulsuse: Don't make me even remember:heulsuse::heulsuse:

http://wimg.co.uk/6em.jpg

:arghh:

http://wimg.co.uk/nHK.jpg

Luis Suarez :rocketwhore:

fakeking
09.07.10, 06:47
They are playing volley ball there. :tongue: Two player beach volleyball aka DOA Extreme :lol:

Sazzy
09.07.10, 12:12
DOA Extreme :lol:

Without the breasts :lol:

C3PO
09.07.10, 12:14
Paul chose Germany and Spain for winners btw

fakeking
09.07.10, 17:52
Paul chose Germany and Spain for winners btw

Isn't that for the past prediction? Paul hasn't in action iirc. Will Paul become roasted eventually? :eek:

C3PO
09.07.10, 18:09
No, he chose today Germany to win the 3rd place and Spain for WCs

Sazzy
10.07.10, 11:28
Paul is freakishly often right. I wonder if it's got something to do with the colours of the flags and a freakishly big amount of luck

SBfreak
10.07.10, 12:16
Paul is freakishly often right. I wonder if it's got something to do with the colours of the flags and a freakishly big amount of luck

Or he's the next Jesus.:eek13:
Tbh I hate him since he predicted Germany's lost.

fakeking
10.07.10, 12:36
Why do you hate him, sbf? Betting too much money or lost points from our internal competition? :tongue:

samantha
10.07.10, 19:14
news channels are following paul more than team themselves

SBfreak
10.07.10, 19:18
Why do you hate him, sbf? Betting too much money or lost points from our internal competition? :tongue:

Hate him.I'd eat him.

slikrapid
10.07.10, 23:47
news channels are following paul more than team themselves

it may also explain some of the good scores of our sbi world cup betting game :biggrin:

Fussball-Tippspiele - SB-Innovation - Leecher Mod Source Nr. 1 (http://www.sb-innovation.de/vbsoccer.php)

as for (st.) paul and his accuracy there's most likely something fishy (pun intended) about it :tongue:

Blocker
11.07.10, 01:48
Let's see what will happen tomorrow in the final match

It said Spain will won :tongue:

piratemeister
11.07.10, 09:46
Doday will win holland, beause the octopus Paul at the final choose the loser. Also happened 2 years ago. :top:

C3PO
12.07.10, 11:52
http://images.4fuckr.com/89b07182041a/b/c/7/e/7/bc7e7b868a.gif

piratemeister
12.07.10, 11:56
Holland win Kung-Fu match :biggrin:

C3PO
13.07.10, 15:22
http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=6881

:klatsch_3::klatsch_3::klatsch_3:

Paul's grandfather

SBfreak
13.07.10, 15:24
Lol,fake newspaper is fake

C3PO
13.07.10, 15:26
Lol,fake newspaper is fake

What do u mean...of course it's fake, but still hilarious

SBfreak
13.07.10, 15:31
What do u mean...of course it's fake, but still hilarious
I meant it was funny and fake at the same time.That was my way of saying it:D

dju
31.07.10, 12:52
http://images.4fuckr.com/89b07182041a/b/c/7/e/7/bc7e7b868a.gif

This is why i will never play football again, once i broke my leg while playing, before that i tought that i will be a world-wide famous football player :D
Well anyways it's still interesting to watch World Cup or any other football matches, you can't feel pain while drinking beer and sitting in front of TV :cool: