PDA

View Full Version : Do you search before posting?

anon
29.04.10, 16:08
Please vote.

This isn't aimed at anyone, just thought I could get some replies on the matter.

cheatos
29.04.10, 16:23
yes i do, whether its a thread about a game, tutorial,news and nearly anything, i always search and i try all the possibilities while searching :smile:

slikrapid
29.04.10, 21:03
rarely, as i mostly post observations or opinions or experiences...

the answer would be: yes, if unsure about whether a topic/thread already exists or when i want to link to another existing/related post

hitman
29.04.10, 21:09
we had a little issue with the poll everybody should now be able to vote.

To answer the question of course i use the search before posting :biggrin:

yoco
29.04.10, 23:55
Almost always! But to be honest search isn't exactly working right sometimes.

anon
30.04.10, 00:03
But to be honest search isn't exactly working right sometimes.

Too much noise? Type the most important words and tell it to search titles only.
Too much silence? Use Google:

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=some+stuff+site:sb-innovation.de

saebrtooth
30.04.10, 03:01
although I try help to answer questions where I can, but when Im searching for answers I try to do some searching b4 asking others

shawshankraj
30.04.10, 03:04
yes of course I always search when i opening new thread or post for example before posting any movie trailer i always search that yoco hasn't posted it yet..

Blocker
30.04.10, 03:32
Yes, of course.

Instab
30.04.10, 05:41
i think it's mostly new users but a public poll might not be the best way to get a serious result :P

mangathala2002
30.04.10, 06:22
No offense to the coders. But honestly the 'search' sucks. Now-a-days i usually just go to Google and type
site:sb-innovation.de and then do my search. I mean come on how am i suppose to search for PMR, by typing 'pimp my ratio' in the search field i'm too lazy to do that :tongue:

Instab
30.04.10, 06:55
I mean come on how am i suppose to search for PMR

you could use the tag search ;)
SB-Innovation - Leecher Mod Source Nr. 1 - Tags (http://www.sb-innovation.de/tags/)

caballero
30.04.10, 07:12
No offense to the coders. But honestly the 'search' sucks.

True but there are other methods as you mentioned and as Instab mentioned. However, I could tell you that creating a search engine that would tell you "Did you mean ........" and putting it in a forum is not an easy thing. Just check you favourite tracker and try to search an acronym or make a spelling mistake.

On topic: I use google as well to search the forum.

mangathala2002
30.04.10, 08:04
However, I could tell you that creating a search engine that would tell you "Did you mean ........" and putting it in a forum is not an easy thing. .

It is easy. http://www.google.com/cse/ i had asked anon sometime back about it, but he doesn't want to have google monitoring SB-i

caballero
30.04.10, 08:45
It is easy. Google Custom Search Engine - Site search and more (http://www.google.com/cse/) i had asked anon sometime back about it, but he doesn't want to have google monitoring SB-i

yes but that's different from a search engine integrated inside the forum code.
The method you mentioned is great, it gives nearly the same result.

anon
30.04.10, 13:16
The method you mentioned is great, it gives nearly the same result.

No one saw post #6. :happy:

caballero
30.04.10, 17:26
No one saw post #6. :happy:

Scroogle is different from Google :biggrin:

SBfreak
30.04.10, 17:58
Even though I'm a long-standing member with memcached installed sometimes I really don't search and I think I'll get a better answer if I just ask.
Not for the sake of posts though.:tongue:

anon
30.04.10, 18:17
Scroogle is different from Google :biggrin:

It doesn't give you a tracking cookie nor display ads, yes.

Master Razor
30.04.10, 19:44
I usually use google to do all my searches by using the "site:" paramter. And I rarely use the forum's bult-in search due to fact that it's slow compared to google, i have to wait 30 sec or so be able to search again and the results are not always accurate. However, I always search before opening a thread. I don't open threads for popularity, posts count or other ways to "clutter" the forum.

warth
21.07.10, 12:43
yes, every time i need something.

anon
21.07.10, 17:37
yes, every time i need something.

You, sir, are a role model for a lot of users.

dreamer
25.07.10, 22:18
I searched for "Yes" before voting but it found too many results :P

Großmutter
26.07.10, 00:15
yes,i search before,but not ever i found what i search right now!

Resurrection
26.07.10, 05:42
Not just on this site but on almost all the forums the moderators have problem with re-posts and repetitive questions...

The following comments are just too funny to read...Sometimes they lead to inside jokes...

I'll be honest...I do a lot of searching first but if the search results are too many I'll ask...

And there are lot of people who are ready to help...Anywhere...

anon
26.07.10, 17:51
The following comments are just too funny to read...Sometimes they lead to inside jokes...

Hah, it's the same here :)

Mihai
27.07.10, 22:58
I think you should add a new option:No, I use the ask anon button:lol:

Just saying...

dju
29.07.10, 10:27
It's the first thing acutally to do when you need to find something :D:D , the second task is to ask in the forum somewhere :)

coolio256
29.07.10, 14:23
always ! I dont want warnings anymore :D

seldom
17.09.10, 14:40
I always try to use search before posting. However, it is not working very well for me. I am not sure if don't know to use it properly or some improvements can be done here.
Here is an example. I do search for a word demunoid. The search results show one thread that has 186 pages. Am I suppose to go through all 186 pages to see what the forum has about demunoid?

Gapo
17.09.10, 14:42
It could use improvements. Sometimes I prefer using Scroogle to search on SB-I.

seldom
17.09.10, 15:02
So, people (at least some) prefer sometimes to use Google or Scroogle instead of build-in search feature.
Is it feasible (I hope not difficult) to add google/scroogle search engine to the forum, maybe as an optional search.
We encourage users to use search, but how can we expect them to find easy what they are looking for?

Gapo
17.09.10, 15:04
Not difficult at all. Should be quite easy to set up.

anon
17.09.10, 15:39
Is it feasible (I hope not difficult) to add google/scroogle search engine to the forum, maybe as an optional search.

Good idea. FST has that, or at least it used to when they ran on vB3. Shouldn't be hard to implement, and it'd definitely be a good thing to have.

wossy666
18.09.10, 18:02
yes of course I always search

SBfreak
18.09.10, 19:28
Only 3 honest users:lol:

ironace
18.09.10, 23:49
I use it sometimes but after you search that intro kind of thing telling you it is searching gets quite annoying after a while.

pimphead07
06.10.10, 19:37
i do.. but sometimes, small things are a big pain to search.. i mean when u search for something and it shows up 100 results and the thing i want lies in some #xxx post of some yyy thread.. its a pain to go thru all threads one by one.. call me lazy :P

One_Piece11
17.10.10, 19:08
I do man! Works fine.

Esperanza
18.10.10, 10:11
I cant believe theres only 8 honest dudes on this thread:-p I think the real lazyass would use the search function. Just because it may prevent him from writing anything.

I'm used to seach before i post, but sometimes i renounce because i'm pretty sure i'll have to post myself anyway.

anon
18.10.10, 14:34
I cant believe theres only 8 honest dudes on this thread:-p I think the real lazyass would use the search function. Just because it may prevent him from writing anything.

You have to type in the search box, also, although it takes less words than asking. :wgrin:

Reality dictates most lazy people just don't bother with that and ask questions instead. They should be shot. :wmellow:

seldom
18.10.10, 14:44
Good idea. FST has that, or at least it used to when they ran on vB3. Shouldn't be hard to implement, and it'd definitely be a good thing to have.
Until it's implemented, everybody is welcome to use a link in my signature for SB-I search. You can even bookmark it :)

ParamouR
15.12.10, 18:19
I didn't used to, I always use to forget searching, until Anon made me realize always with this icon :wsearch:
:sbi:

ErRor
15.12.10, 20:00
sure i do :p

tokiodrift1
15.12.10, 20:59
wtf... SBI HAS A SEARCH-OPTION ??!?

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/9083/wowwtf.gif

:biggrin: ,
td1

start
07.01.11, 19:37