PDA

View Full Version : [Misc/Other] Gygan - A New App For Sharing Large Files Online

shawshankraj
11.04.10, 06:29
It’s rare that we’ll go out of our way to review new "P2P" programs, but Gygan is definitely a filesharing application worthy of a closer inspection. Gygan is a brand-new Windows app for sharing and sending large files quickly - users can upload & download any file size & type, as many files as you want, and get unlimited transfer speed (even for free users!). There’s a lot to cover here, but Gygan might just be the next-gen breakthrough in which how files are shared.

You may have noticed a new banner here at FSF - we were so impressed by Gygan that we chose to sponsor them. We’d consider Gygan to be a hybrid filesharing app; something of a cross between a DDL hoster, a seedbox, a download client, and an internal indexer. Gygan effectively incorporates a number of great features that can be found through other filesharing protocols, and rolls them all into one primary service.

• Gygan is NOT ‘peer-to-peer’. In contrast to decentralized peer-to-peer based applications such as Limewire, Gygan users (uploaders, downloaders) do not share their IP addresses through the app (to each other), since users are uploading to and downloading from Gygan’s servers directly. Thus, Gygan is a peerless leech app - akin to DDL and Usenet.

• Easily beats out DDL filehosters like RS, MU - without the wait-times, file size limitations, and speed restrictions that are normally associated with them. Since Gygan is an application (and not web-based), users are able to download (and upload) at their maximum bandwidth from Gygan’s servers. That’s right - unlimited speeds, no throttling & no daily download limits! — "We will max out any residential & most commercial connections."

• Similar to a BitTorrent client, but safer. Gygan is complemented by a massive web database where users can browse files that have been uploaded by other users. Upon downloading these *.gyg files (Gygan’s answer to .torrent files), they are then imported directly into the application where the transfer immediately begins. But contrary to a BT client there are no peers, no seeds/leeches, no ratios, and no IP addresses being shared.

• Different than ‘online storage’ services. 1-click hosters & online storage sites (YouSendIt/Dropbox) all have one very annoying thing in common: limitations on allowable file sizes and amount of personal storage. Gygan does away with all this nonsense and offers unlimited uploading & no restrictions on file size; consider Gygan to be your own personal seedbox — "Upload thousands of files, or upload one. You never run out of storage space. Uploading is FREE!"

Full review here:
Gygan - A New App For Sharing Large Files Online | THE source for BitTorrent & P2P Tips, Tricks and Info. | FileShareFreak (http://filesharefreak.com/2010/04/09/gygan-a-new-app-for-sharing-large-files-online/)

transgressive
11.04.10, 10:14
Sounds too good to be true. And lo and behold, it of course has a catch. Free accounts are capped at 4GB download volume a month.
As for the availability of files: I think we will see a drastic degeneration of the search result quality as soon as the RIAA and company take note of Gygan.
Can't see many improvements over once click hosters. Especially since you can only access the files via an app and not with your webbrowser or a normal DL-manager.

saebrtooth
11.04.10, 14:14
If they are trying to make money directly from the software by way of registration fees they will eventually die off, better to make it opensource so no one can be blamed.

desodorante
11.04.10, 20:05
Looks cool, but not promising. What transgressive and saebrtooth said is true, if they intend to sell accounts, I would not trust them :mad2:

shawshankraj
12.04.10, 13:22
I used their service for free user download limit is 4 GB and for Premium user limit is 150 GB..So it's another new click hoster type service..

AsusGraphics
18.04.10, 12:09
I used their service for free user download limit is 4 GB and for Premium user limit is 150 GB..So it's another new click hoster type service..

Premium is only 75GB :eek13:

anon
18.04.10, 17:52
It was 150GB when he made that post.

transgressive
18.04.10, 18:12
Looks like they are bullshitting their customers already... That will end well. :rolleyes2:

AsusGraphics
19.04.10, 21:06
Looks like they are bullshitting their customers already... That will end well. :rolleyes2:

Nice way to start "business", indeed.

saebrtooth
20.04.10, 02:20

unless they changed those accounts who signed up to premium 150GB and then when they introducd the new premium 75Gb and retrospectivly changed all premium accs to 75GB then it can be said they are fking with customers

shawshankraj
20.04.10, 02:59
They are fail in this business , If they are able to provide some good service then they might have a good chance of doing good business...

saebrtooth
20.04.10, 05:45
This thread should have the "app" renamed to service

• Gygan is NOT ‘peer-to-peer’. In contrast to decentralized peer-to-peer based applications such as Limewire, Gygan users (uploaders, downloaders) do not share their IP addresses through the app (to each other), since users are uploading to and downloading from Gygan’s servers directly. Thus, Gygan is a peerless leech app - akin to DDL and Usenet.

shawshankraj
20.04.10, 05:57
It's not a peer to peer service but it's still provide a service with we can share file...

Title does not say peer to peer sharing..

saebrtooth
20.04.10, 07:43
Its not that important however I thought service would have been more descriptive since its limited and on a pay/use basis

ur call

transgressive
20.04.10, 09:46
I'm not exactly sure I want those guys having my IP if you can catch my drift...

Clair
21.10.10, 02:40
I agree with you trangressive they cannot have my IP either ;)

donkeykong
21.10.10, 19:38
I call bullshit

jamilv
21.10.10, 20:25
It is very limited for the cost, you are way better off going with a DDL host like FS, RS, HF, etc.
Plus it is kind of sketchy