PDA

View Full Version : [Usenet] Anyone use Usenet??

Blocker
28.01.10, 03:49
Anyone use Usenet?? Is it good??

saebrtooth
28.01.10, 04:21
yh but u have to pay for it

---------- Post added at 04:21 ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 ----------

have you used newsgroups before? its like that but you get almost everything

Instab
28.01.10, 04:26
it's more like seedbox vs. usenet because torrents are free of charge normally.

SBfreak
28.01.10, 10:03
Usenet sucks.Just stick with torrents.

saebrtooth
28.01.10, 11:15
However, you can use a limited version of it and its usually free as in comes with the package. Ask your ISP about their offering of newsgroups, they usu dont charge anything extra 4 it.

shadowww
28.01.10, 11:56
I heard good things about UseneXt. Don't have any personal experiences tho

anon
28.01.10, 16:51
You want to try Usenet for free? Have a look at this:
Just4Today.NET - Free Usenet (http://www.just4today.net/)

The username and password only work for one day. ~10 days retention. And if you need NZBs (the equivalent of .torrents), FST is a great place to get them.

I heard good things about UseneXt.

I have heard some people say it's a scam, a few that it's great, and some others that it's good but not the best... :rolling_eyes:

Krazyivan
12.02.10, 05:29
If you're wanting to go with Usenet, I personally would recommend you try either Giganews or Astraweb. Lately I've been using Astraweb as I can buy bandwidth chunks instead of paying a set fee per month, I think it's $25 for 180GB or $10 a month unlimited. Very useful for me considering I only have 90GB downloads per month, and they have either European or USA servers for you to choose from (with SSL or SSL v2 if necessary).

To get the NZB files (think .torrent files, but for Usenet) I either use Binsearch (free) or Nzbmatrix (once off payment).

MoS
12.02.10, 08:57
Bit-Torrent is my only file sharing sharing. I haven't tried any other but i'm hoping
What is the difference between Usenet and Newsgroups ?And also what are NZBs ? Another way than BT and Usenet ?

Please someone clear it for me :rolleyes2:

saebrtooth
12.02.10, 09:12
NZBs are files just like rar and zip are file. They usually appear on usenets and are used by news readers and can automatically be reassembled into their complete whole.

Usenet is the collective name for news groups

NZB being particular to usenets an be differentiated to yEnc as one is a file and the latter is plain text just like mime used in email.

However, if your talking about efficiency you cannot go past tried and tested p2p because usenets are centralised in data storage and requires that the servers have massive bandwidth to serve everyone from the servers where as each client in a p2p can act as a server too

00houldu
12.02.10, 11:00
i downloaded some appz all are reported as infected with trojan...

won't pay for this... i'l stay with trackers

saebrtooth
12.02.10, 11:44
SBI provides a huge range of mods and tools buy expert coders. You have everything at your finger tips here :). Why would you want to go elsewhere? :wink:

SBfreak
12.02.10, 13:20

won't pay for this... i'l stay with trackers

SBI provides a huge range of mods and tools buy expert coders.
I don't think he's talking about cheating applications:unsure:

anon
12.02.10, 17:19
What is the difference between Usenet and Newsgroups ?And also what are NZBs ? Another way than BT and Usenet ?

Usenet is the network, newsgroups are where discussion (or binaries) are posted.

NZBs are roughly the equivalent of .torrent files, I explained it above.

Other ways of downloading other than BitTorrent and Usenet..? There are a lot :wink:

Get your NZBs from sites where users upload them instead of scripts, FST for example. This way you're much less likely to download an infected app.

Blocker
12.02.10, 17:25
If you're wanting to go with Usenet, I personally would recommend you try either Giganews or Astraweb. Lately I've been using Astraweb as I can buy bandwidth chunks instead of paying a set fee per month, I think it's $25 for 180GB or $10 a month unlimited. Very useful for me considering I only have 90GB downloads per month, and they have either European or USA servers for you to choose from (with SSL or SSL v2 if necessary).

To get the NZB files (think .torrent files, but for Usenet) I either use Binsearch (free) or Nzbmatrix (once off payment).

Sounds like a seedbox like Instab said

By the way to my mind Bitorrent + SB-I mods fulfill my downloading needs right now! :biggrin:

anon
12.02.10, 17:25
Sure, but with Usenet you don't have to worry about cheating or seeding. You just leech. But it isn't free (at least most providers aren't).

Blocker
12.02.10, 17:28
Sure,I think is the main disadvantage of Usenet

BrianBosworth
12.02.10, 18:51
The one main advantage of usenet is that there are files posted in the newsgroups that you can't find anywhere else. There have been a number of times that I've found something so rare that I had forgotten that it even existed. Most of the rare stuff would be difficult to find unless you use a NZB indexing site that offers a complete listing of everything in the binary groups. Newzbin is considered the best especially since they created the NZB format. Unfortunately they are in court battling the MPAA because of that. Luckily my ISP still provides free access to the binary groups.:biggrin:

saebrtooth
13.02.10, 03:01
Most ISP do provide some access to news groups and usually free, however they are usually mirrors and provide very limited access. they will show you the complete tree of what is there but not everything you will have access to.

If a file server has a policy of limited holding period as all do and just so happens you download one of those old files and dont complete it before expiry its too bad cos their will be no other copies uness you try to find it on another address.

With most usenet service, if you imagine this forum setup, but much more bland, eveyone has the ability to upload and download and put comments, ask questions, spam and flood, and troll. It is totally not moderated except for blocking by your service provider to certain addresses.

It may be a dinosuar in the computing world but certainly there are massive resources there ranging from games, scouts, religon, atrari fan, Microsoft fans and releases etc etc etc. Some come and go.

If there was one analogy of what news groups are in the financial world it would be forex. ed2k and bt would be akin to stock exchnge. In the martial arts world news groups would be akin to freestyle whereas ed2k and bt would be akin to a martial arts house. lol I should have used this in the Word Association Thread (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f49/word-association-fun-18794/) this would have been a good one ;)

Any way come join in everyone and show what you've got at the new Word Association thread

Instab
13.02.10, 03:06
Luckily my ISP still provides free access to the binary groups.:biggrin:

that's great and imo rather rare :top:

MosDef
13.02.10, 04:19
JustForToday doesn't have great speeds but it's a good way to get latest stuff. Their retention is only for 10 days but it's good alternative for people who have a hard time keeping ratios. Alot of times exclusive content from trackers is uploaded on usenet. So if you're not a member of a certain tracker but want to get their content, you can check out usenet.

Luisillo
13.02.10, 17:59
Usenet is the best, believe me. I used to be a torrent user then I changed to rapidshare, megaupload thing... but eventually I discovered usenet.

I ended up buying a usenet explorer manager (the best in my opinion).
I use:
supersearch service from newzleecher,
NZBIndez,
Newzleech,
Binsearch,
NZB's, and
NZB matrix
to find what I'm looking for.

If you wanna give a try to usenet, download the newzleecher with the crack version, get a hotmail account and use it to get free accounts in these 2 sites:

:: Xennews :: (http://member.xennews.com/signup.php)
XLned - Usenet for everyone (http://www.xlned.com/)

They are free for about 1 week with good speeds. :wink2:
NOTE: After the accounts limit time, delete your cookies, create another hormail account and get another free accounts.

Good Luck!

K2150
28.02.10, 20:42
JustForToday doesn't have great speeds but it's a good way to get latest stuff. Their retention is only for 10 days but it's good alternative for people who have a hard time keeping ratios. Alot of times exclusive content from trackers is uploaded on usenet. So if you're not a member of a certain tracker but want to get their content, you can check out usenet.

nice find regarding JustForToday, I just did a test download of a 6GB game, it completed in approx 3 hours, not bad considering they only allow 2 simultaneous connections, then when you consider it's a free service it's pretty damn good, thanks for the heads-up!

SBfreak
28.02.10, 20:49
What's the URL for JustForToday??:confused2:

anon
28.02.10, 20:50
Check the first page of this thread.

Hideehi
04.04.10, 21:02
I used newzbin and giganews for 3 months, when I was building a 1080p movie collection. On no tracker would you be able to download 1000+ 1080p movies without getting banned, even with cheating :P

Giganews is fast. The only disadvantage is that it can be a bit harder than using torrents, and of course, the cost...still a lot cheaper than a seedbox or buying your movies legitimately though.

MrCheat
04.04.10, 21:07
I used newzbin and giganews for 3 months, when I was building a 1080p movie collection. On no tracker would you be able to download 1000+ 1080p movies without getting banned, even with cheating :P

Giganews is fast. The only disadvantage is that it can be a bit harder than using torrents, and of course, the cost...still a lot cheaper than a seedbox or buying your movies legitimately though.

haha yeah i notice that people with usenet access tend to download 24/7. whos your ISP?

saebrtooth
05.04.10, 01:45
If u go 2 any private tracker they will present a disclaimer that they absolutely do not host any of the listed software, movies, music etc on thier servers, just the links. This is to deter copyright holders from sueing thier pants off.

But its strange that usenet services dont contain this disclaimer they boast that they have these same files on their server for download and At A Price of subscription.

I wonder how they get away with it ;)

anon
05.04.10, 13:25
If u go 2 any private tracker they will present a disclaimer that they absolutely do not host any of the listed software, movies, music etc on thier servers, just the links. This is to deter copyright holders from sueing thier pants off.

A lot of trackers also have "you must have legal rights to the files" under their downloading rules, meaning the vast majority of us are breaking that rule and should be banned :tongue:

That's probably only some kind of "counter attack" should the authorities ever do something to the site. Needless to say, by the stage they're already seizing your servers and looking for the admins, it won't do anything.

But its strange that usenet services dont contain this disclaimer they boast that they have these same files on their server for download and At A Price of subscription.

Interesting comment. I've never wondered that, but you're right - Usenet servers do host the files. And in a worst-case scenario, they could end up being accused of profiting from piracy, as you need to pay for the login data that enables you to download.

Snitlev
05.04.10, 14:27
No, I'm unready to pay for files :cool2:

best regards

remortal
05.04.10, 21:35
I used it in the beginning when it was new.. but than i switched to torrent.
In my oppinion its a waste of money.. cause u can get the same files for free..

AsusGraphics
29.04.10, 14:22
Interesting comment. I've never wondered that, but you're right - Usenet servers do host the files. And in a worst-case scenario, they could end up being accused of profiting from piracy, as you need to pay for the login data that enables you to download.

One-click-hosters too have the data, and they sell premium access for it. All in the end, Usenet and one-click-hosters "share" the same business method.

They defend themselves saying that they can't be held responsible for users actions because they only provide access to usenet, and acts like a mail carrier. (for posts ~ uploads)

-Same principle goes eventually with RS

anon
29.04.10, 16:13
One-click-hosters too have the data, and they sell premium access for it.

But in principle anyone can access the files, money only gets you increased privileges on the site.

AsusGraphics
29.04.10, 16:28
Does it make the difference if you don't sell it for everyone? Still, if really large group is paying for it, provider profits from it. Then the situation is almost the same.

TempHK01
28.07.10, 13:45
But what I cannot understand is: on Usenet there is the some content that you can find on the torrent network or there is even mome rare content like on emule?

anon
28.07.10, 17:54
In theory, anyone can post a binary for any file, but from what I know, you'll mostly find newer stuff. Even so, the most retentive providers hold posts for 600-700 days before deleting them.

biren
22.08.10, 14:04
I used before years usenet but after torrents be well known to all its not worth the cost that must pay for it.It has very good speeds but the torrents is a different philosophy and i love it.

Many pay for seedbox for be good in torrent trackers.But hei wake up just RM and you can do everything without pay nothing.

anon
22.08.10, 17:46
It has very good speeds but the torrents is a different philosophy and i love it.

... But hei wake up just RM and you can do everything without pay nothing.

So, the BitTorrent philosophy is "sharing is caring", yet you bypass it using the RM. :glol:

biren
22.08.10, 18:03
So, the BitTorrent philosophy is "sharing is caring", yet you bypass it using the RM. :glol:

Look how the things have.With speed 2mb/s and 250kbps up i cant do nothing for keep my ratio in good mood.So my i must use cheats for keep it good.But i upload in rapidshare and in gamato.info before it closed with my low speed.I love to share but with this speed here in Greece i cant do nothing.

anon
22.08.10, 18:04
I was just poking some fun at you, because that's how I am. :gtongue:

I know upload speeds aren't the best for many of us, and it'd definitely be hypocritical from me to criticize your cheating. :gsmile:

newguy1
17.10.10, 23:48
I used to have Giganews, but the monthly fees weren't convenient for me..

Anything I wanted on usenet I could get on rapidshare or a public torrent tracker.

hessler
18.10.10, 05:11
usenext is a great place to find rare content i use to use it and i have found some very rare music and movies there but i dont like the warez probably thats why i am not using it anymore.

Resurrection
18.10.10, 05:50
You used usenet?from india?is that service even available through Indian ISPs?

anon
18.10.10, 14:16
You used usenet?from india?

Do Usenet providers ban countries or something? :unsure:

Many ISPs don't provide newsgroups access themselves, but you can always shell out a few bucks and pay for Giganews/Astraweb/etc.

jamilv
21.10.10, 20:23
It is good if you have a good NZB tracker and a good usenet provider. I used to use it when my ISP gave it free, but I noticed there is a TON of issues with incomplete stuff

uzair
23.10.10, 21:07
usenet is good but i dont like retention system
u can get free 1 day accs liek its said earlier in the post but u wont like it if u have a good connection like 8mbps+ because it that u wont get good speeds..
usenext n giganews provide excelletn speeds

szaman
31.10.10, 04:59
Usnet are good because you don't have to think about seeding, but disadventage is pay for that and usnete don't have such huge collection like bittorrent

Hush
31.10.10, 12:05
disadventage is pay for that

here´s a possibility to use it for free : http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?threadid=22951

huge collection like bittorrent

collections : no. but the sum of single releases can mess with any tracker in the world ;)

anon
31.10.10, 16:37
but disadventage is pay for that

There are many free servers and ways of connecting. Needless to say, you may not get the same results as with a paid service.

and usnete don't have such huge collection like bittorrent

It does beat BT for newer stuff, I'd say.

Hush
31.10.10, 17:37
It does beat BT for newer stuff, I'd say.

for german rels : you are wrong. most of the new scenerel are uploaded to the usenet and the german main trackers by the same guys. and they first upload it to some trackers and then upload them to the usenet.

anon
31.10.10, 17:38
I meant international stuff, I really have no idea of how the German side of things are. :gsmile:

theintervurt
02.12.10, 11:43
Usenet is cheaper than seedbox usage and more convenient/easier to use. If I was to compare torrenting on private/public trackers with or without a seedbox usenet would win but torrenting on private trackers with SB-I is a different story.

start
07.12.10, 19:10
I used usenet before 1 year and i can say its good

sbtorrent
09.01.11, 11:55
I would check the niche (newsgroup) of interest via a usenet search engine or via a trial account to see if you find what you need. I found that for my interest (self-improvement) that focused private trackers had much much more stuff. Managing newsgroup downloads is a hassle too. I much prefer torrent clients over newsreaders.

Unregistered342423
30.06.11, 19:22
This is actually a huge topic, but usenet is fantastic if you know whay youre doing, and are willing to pay for peace of mind and crazy fast downloads. I have a newsdemon account, and a few private torrent accounts, and i use them in combination. Some stuff on usenet you cant find anywhere else, the ease and speed is phenomenal. but its a trade-off. Most usenet hosts have 7 day trials, check one out and see how you like it. I love it, but I wouldnt say its better than a private tracker. i wouldnt say its worse, either.

SomeGuy
30.06.11, 19:39
Usenet is good stuff.
However, the first rule of Usenet is: Never talk about Usenet :P

Unregistered342423
30.06.11, 19:47
Nah usenet is more widespread than you might think. Tell your friends, its actually quite user friendly.

:D

SomeGuy
01.07.11, 01:50
Usenet is great, very good speeds, not need to worry about seeding, and in the countries where seeding is illegal you won't get into trouble.
The only real problem I see with usenet is that you'll have to buy new TBs of Hard-Drives way too frequently, because you'll get into some addicted state where you can't control yourself but download and fill all of your available HD space :D

anon
01.07.11, 03:11
The only real problem I see with usenet is that you'll have to buy new TBs of Hard-Drives way too frequently, because you'll get into some addicted state where you can't control yourself but download and fill all of your available HD space :D

That's hardly Usenet's fault :wtongue:

I went through the same when I got into torrents. Until not so long ago, I'd visit Fulldls' daily uploads twice a day looking for stuff to leech, and even uploaded a few things there myself. There wasn't a day I didn't download something. uTorrent was leeching almost as long as it was open, which was (and still is, to some extent) as long as my computer was turned on. Joy was waking up or returning home and seeing that torrent I specially wanted had finished downloading.

Those days are gone. Now I just download a movie every other day.

Unregistered342423
01.07.11, 04:01
Storage is so cheap now, I dont think of that as a disadvantage but an advantage!

Although, my case is running low on sata ports... this is worrying. Might need to build a fileserver in the garage!

Wolfman86
10.07.11, 07:44
Newsgroups are awesome for TV shows and older movies. With nearly 3 years of retention from Astraweb, I rarely download movies or TV shows from torrents anymore.

zizo22
11.07.11, 15:37
with my opinion stick with the torrent easy fast free and you will find every thing there ....

SomeGuy
11.07.11, 16:16
with my opinion stick with the torrent easy fast free and you will find every thing there ....

I can't agree with you there, because Usenet is easier than torrents. We just have been using torrents for so long, it is automatic and seems easy, but try teaching torrenting to your grand mother :P

anon
11.07.11, 16:18
fast

Generally, although not always.

Also, a lot of people here cheat, but otherwise there's the problem of ratios.

zizo22
11.07.11, 16:38
I can't agree with you there, because Usenet is easier than torrents. We just have been using torrents for so long, it is automatic and seems easy, but try teaching torrenting to your grand mother :P

also you can't teach your grand mother usenet lol.

Generally, although not always.

Also, a lot of people here cheat, but otherwise there's the problem of ratios.

i agree with you about not Generally.
but the torrent is the general way on the internet and the cheaper way also.
and there are trackers in the torrent world have content doesn't in usenet.
and that is i'm prefer, every one free to chose the way he is like.

slikrapid
11.07.11, 22:02
With nearly 3 years of retention

which applies to, what, everything that gets uploaded? whereas usually the majority of low-mid popular torrents become 'dead' after several weeks/months

try teaching torrenting to your grand mother...
also you can't teach your grand mother usenet

sure you can, the question is whether they would be interested in learning it, whether it is something useful to them

torrent easy fast free and you will find every thing there ...

you certainly won't find 'everything' anywhere anyways, let alone on torrent sites - the 'easy' quickly turns to 'hard' when trying to search for rare and/or old files, the 'fast' quickly turns to 'slow' when using public trackers, etc. - there is no definitive answer here, it depends on what you're looking for, what your sources are, you name it...

the torrent is the general way on the internet

its the most popular one nowadays, however 'popularity' won't make its disadvantages simply disappear or become irrelevant

zizo22
11.07.11, 23:52
there is no definitive answer here, it depends on what you're looking for, what your sources are, you name it...

i can't agree more with you ....

its the most popular one nowadays, however 'popularity' won't make its disadvantages simply disappear or become irrelevant

but if you look around you will find torrent is the best way now.
you find the direct links and you can't get premium account on every site, let alone on copyright thing and the link deleted.
and also the privet servers you have to pay to get account there and you can't find all you want. after all:frown:
what i'm trying to say that the torrent is not every thing and there's no such thing can give all you want
but still the best way and you will find most of what do you really want and more:biggrin:

anon
12.07.11, 00:22
My small contributions to your discussion:

A way of downloading which has everything is a utopia.

I couldn't teach my mother to use e-mail, much less torrents or Usenet.

thesoreloser
05.07.13, 15:23
First option is always usenet, followed by premium filesharing webhosts, then lastly torrents. You get the max speed with usenet, and don't have to worry about ratios or upload speeds. Downside is lesser content because of retention and the ease of finding content. OF course you have to pay for those, but it's very worth it, better than paying for VIP on torrent sites. Premium file hosting websites are good if the one you are on has the content you are looking for. I have a megashares lifetime account and I have never regretted it. Torrent is the last option for me and it's good for a wide variety of content. Like WIDE. Downside is it might be slow to get your content, depending on how obscure or old it is.

tldr: Yes I do use usenet. It is worth getting into it if you haven't, especially you always only get the latest tv shows or movies or games :)

Banana
14.07.13, 08:31
I had researched about Usenet, but i lost interest when i discovered that is Necessary to pay. I prefer pay for something original. :smile:

slikrapid
14.07.13, 17:35
I had researched about Usenet, but i lost interest when i discovered that is Necessary to pay.

its not necessary to pay (by paying you get premium service/benefits), however the 'free usenet' alternatives are few and very limited (retention limits, speed limits, fluctuating speed, transfer limits, binaries coverage, account/connectivity limits, etc.) - on the other hand, similar limitations/problems appear regarding every filesharing option you might choose

be as it may, its useful to have competent alternatives in case your main sources fail to deliver as they're expected (to)

Banana
14.07.13, 18:20
its not necessary to pay (by paying you get premium service/benefits), however the 'free usenet' alternatives are few and very limited (retention limits, speed limits, fluctuating speed, transfer limits, binaries coverage, account/connectivity limits, etc.) - on the other hand, similar limitations/problems appear regarding every filesharing option you might choose

be as it may, its useful to have competent alternatives in case your main sources fail to deliver as they're expected (to)

I read an article on site here in my country about Usenet and they did not talk about being free, in which case I'll take a chance.
:)

khangiskhan
22.07.13, 01:25
People see the necessity of payment and they say nah...

I always kinda group those kind of people as those
who use trackers or forums or whatever and WILL never
DONATE.

I am not stereotyping just some if not majority.