PDA

View Full Version : What are you planning to study in University ?

cheatos
24.01.10, 13:55
Hello, gauyz,

i'm stuck and cannot decide what to study for university,
also i don't know what are the new Specialties or what other countries have something new/different so i can/may travel to study.

i'm mainly thinking of Pharmacy , Surgery.

if i failed and couldn't get those because of a low school degree then i think of:
Communications Engineering or some I.T. branches like Game Development [ which making games and working in a lead gaming company like UbiSoft or EA Games is one of my dreams]
or 3d movie making and TV Stuff designer

at SAE Institute

:confused:

so i thought its a good idea to see what other members are planning to study..
:top:

Snitlev
24.01.10, 14:33
If I were young, to study law ;-)

best regards

cheatos
24.01.10, 15:01
If I were young, to study law ;-)

best regards

i though of that, it seems a nice specialty but it requires extreme memorizing which i'm not good at, also i think going to the court is boring i think :frown:..

oh and not to forget if you didn't succeed in a court the family of your client may take revenge from lol .

thanks but
still lost...

kelly
24.01.10, 15:16
Hello, gauyz,

i'm stuck and cannot decide what to study for university,
also i don't know what are the new Specialties or what other countries have something new/different so i can/may travel to study.

i'm mainly thinking of Pharmacy , Surgery.

Always enter the field in which you are interested . Don't take any subjects which others decide rather rely on your talent and passion. If you think pharmacy/surgery is suited for you , then go for it!.

if i failed and couldn't get those because of a low school degree then i think of:
Communications Engineering or some I.T. branches like Game Development [ which making games and working in a lead gaming company like UbiSoft or EA Games is one of my dreams]
or 3d movie making and TV Stuff designer
at SAE Institute

In order to be a game programmer one should have a passion for programming,Game programming in particular deals with tons of programming mainly in C/C++ or any other Object oriented programming. You will have to opt for Bachelor's in Computer Science.
Game programming is actually harder than you think(not to discourage you! ) but just a side note. Thats what separate men from the boys.

Regarding Communications Engineering... This is really a vast and challenging area which can be divided into mainly two category.. Analog Communication and Digital Communication. Analog includes fields such as Microwave Engineering, Radio engineering etc. Digital communication could includes Digital Signal Processing(DSP), Mobile Communication.etc Basically Bachelor's degree includes the basics of both Analog and Digital. After completing Bachelor's one can opt for a specialization in any of other field.

Never compromise your area of interest with a particluar colege/institute. Meaning to say, if you don't get in a particlular college then don't worry, opt those colleges which offer subjects in your area of interest.

cheatos
24.01.10, 15:35
Always enter the field in which you are interested . Don't take any subjects which others decide rather rely on your talent and passion. If you think pharmacy/surgery is suited for you , then go for it!.

yes i know this, they even told us that in school,i'm interested in Pharmacy and Surgery, but because these two require high degrees and sometimes requires challenges in order to get into universities with a granting, of course you can pay loads of money and get into those specialties but i don't call myself a surgeon or a pharmacist by doing that..

In order to be a game programmer one will have a passion for programming,Game programming in particular deals with tons of programming mainly in C/C++ or any other Object oriented programming. You will have to opt for Bachelor's in Computer Science.
Game programming is actually harder than you think(not to discourage you! ) but just a side note. Thats what separate men from the boys.

yes Game Programming is hard but its challenging which is nice, also i'm sure at Big companies there will be the teamWork which great too.:smile:
i'm also improving myself in C++ and soon i'll be trying writing my own game from the scratch :smile:

because i remember reviewing Eidos's job request and they seem to care about your abilities, games you worked on, games you modded, engines you understand , your understanding of existing code and improving it, etc..
they said a University Certificate isn't everything.

Regarding Communications Engineering... This is really a vast and challenging area which can be divided into mainly two category.. Analog Communication and Digital Communication. Analog includes fields such as Microwave Engineering, Radio engineering etc. Digital communication could includes Digital Signal Processing(DSP), Mobile Communication.etc Basically Bachelor's degree includes the basics of both Analog and Digital. After completing Bachelor's one can opt for a specialization in any of other field.

Thanks for the valuable info.
i cannot comment because i don't deeply know about these yet.

Never compromise your area of interest with a particluar colege/institute. Meaning to say, if you don't get in a particlular college then don't worry, opt those colleges which offer subjects in your area of interest.

as i said above , pay money you'll learn these days but i won't call myself a real graduate if i did that..

Thanks again :top:

Dagon
24.01.10, 15:38
after my studys of economics i will start the master degree which has a big informatic part inside.

Mfg Dagon

Mihai
24.01.10, 16:40
I will study informatics in colege.I now C++ very well, and next i will be learning visual basic, C Sharp and other programing languages.The only motive i want this is because i am pasionate and good at programing.So if you are too then this is what you have to learn.

cheatos
24.01.10, 16:58
i like programming but the problem with it is:
there are many many many programmers locally and in the world, i may not find the job i want and maybe i won't find a free job in a large game production company.

besides surgery is cooler :cool2: and so is Pharmacy..

i hate being a(n) Civil Engineer, Accountant, General Doctor, Economist, Politician, Reporter, Social Worker, Teacher :baeh: , Trading/Marketing.

still lost,
and i guess i'll be like that forever :biggrin: ..

Mihai
24.01.10, 17:11
LOL.You are a bit crazy:tongue:Anyway it's good you are thinking on this matter.
Yes there are a lot of programers out there but that doesn't mean they are all better than you.I like programing and i want to do what i like not what the world seems to need.I don't want to be restrained by this matter.

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Oh and i don't like teaching too, but if i would need to become one i would like to be like my math teacher.My idle:wink2:

cheatos
24.01.10, 17:17
LOL.You are a bit crazyAnyway it's good you are thinking on this matter.
Yes there are a lot of programers out there but that doesn't mean they are all better than you.I like programing and i want to do what i like not what the world seems to need.I don't want to be restrained by this matter.

you must take the advantages and disadvantages of every small matter, programming is nice/great/funny challenging, yes you are right there is difference between programmer's abilities but you must not hang hope a lot on this :tongue:

i see its this way IMO, don't its carefulness or craziness though :tongue:

i've been thinking about this for a long time, but being lost i said time to see what others say :smile:

Oh and i don't like teaching too, but if i would need to become one i would like to be like my math teacher.My idle

if everything closed in my face, i'd never be a teacher, nowai!! :biggrin:

anon
24.01.10, 18:04
i'm also improving myself in C++ and soon i'll be trying writing my own game from the scratch :smile:

Super SB-Innovation RPG!

cheatos
24.01.10, 18:11
hmm, everyone wants to work as a programmer, hmm,
then my chances of working are decreasing :biggrin:
Or maybe i need to write an operating system to find a work :eek3:

about networking, wouldn't some say: "lol, i can plug a cable into the computer?" :frown:

i'm prison break lost again...

kelly
24.01.10, 18:17
if everything closed in my face, i'd never be a teacher, nowai!! :biggrin:

Being a teacher is not that bad after all dude! I would love to be a lecturer but only after working a couple of years in the Industry

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

hmm, everyone wants to work as a programmer, hmm,
then my chances of working are decreasing :biggrin:

Why are you worried about others :biggrin: , be best in what you are , then you don't have to search for a job , job will come searching for you.!

cheatos
24.01.10, 18:24
i don't know what to say, but being a teacher is like 'real' seeding at BitMeTV: which take two ways:

1- a few minority respect the teacher, knowledge.
2- you will be teaching 'seeding' like old times, ie: you are going to repeat school life again ?

kelly, being a new graduate, do you know new specialties ?

Thanks!

Why are you worried about others , be best in what you are , then you don't have to search for a job , job will come searching for you.!

nice statement, but what if you didn't a job :biggrin: ?

kelly
24.01.10, 18:47
i don't know what to say, but being a teacher is like 'real' seeding at BitMeTV: which take two ways:

1- a few minority respect the teacher, knowledge.
2- you will be teaching 'seeding' like old times, ie: you are going to repeat school life again ?

LOL!

kelly, being a new graduate, do you know new specialties ?

Graduation courses are actually like passport for traveling to other countries.In the sense no matter to which country you want to travel you need to have a passport.

i hate being a(n) Civil Engineer, Accountant, General Doctor, Economist, Politician, Reporter, Social Worker, Teacher , Trading/Marketing.

Since you not are interested in the above the options which are left out are medicine field and IT related engineering.

I am not aware of Medical field.. so can't help on that.

Coming to IT related , a basic degree in Computer Science is a must. It's just ike the passport example i gave.There are other options like Electrical/Electronics which are not that closely related to IT.(but they do have a lot of career potential)

Once you have a basic Computer Science degree, you will then have a lot of Fields to specialize in. For example.. Gaming, Embedded Computing,Network related ,Animatiions... which is very difficult to deal with for a student with non computer background

Hence if programming is your interest then i would suggest getting a Bachelors degree in Computer Science.Once after completing it , you will have an idea as what to specialize in .
Don't worry about the jobs etc .. there is always need for programmers.It's been happening from the past and will continue to happen in the future.

cheatos
24.01.10, 19:00
Since you not are interested in the above the options which are left out are medicine field and IT related engineering.

i guess so :biggrin:

I am not aware of Medical field.. so can't help on that.

ok thanks a lot for your help :top:
i still can not decide the Medical field or not :biggrin:

Coming to IT related , a basic degree in Computer Science is a must. It's just ike the passport example i gave.There are other options like Electrical/Electronics which are not that closely related to IT.(but they do have a lot of career potential)

Electrical Engineer = Co-Working with a civil Engineer = No!
Electronics, sounds great but this field isn't requested at all in my country as most electronics are imported :redface: so you want me to work outside :confused: hmm.

Once you have a basic Computer Science degree, you will then have a lot of Fields to specialize in. For example.. Gaming, Embedded Computing,Network related ,Animatiions... which is very difficult to deal with for a student with non computer background

Hence if programming is your interest then i would suggest getting a Bachelors degree in Computer Science.Once after completing it , you will have an idea as what to specialize in .

nice info, so i need 'Computer Science Passport' in order to continue..
computer science = ASCII, Hex , Converting ?, Logical Expressions right?
if its that its easy then, we got a background about them this year in school.

Don't worry about the jobs etc .. there is always need for programmers.It's been happening from the past and will continue to happen in the future.

Ok, we will see about this once i settle on a studying field first :biggrin:

kazuya
24.01.10, 19:52
if you are smart you don't need to study,just learn like all big businesses men how to use poor and stupid people...

cheatos
24.01.10, 20:00
zomg kazuya, you're talking fo real :confused2: :tongue: ??
you're living in CoD World i'm sure ^^

Blocker
24.01.10, 20:17
I studied industrial engineer,I finished 1 year ago, it has a wide range of job opportunities at industries.The key word in this career is to improve process it can be of manufacturing or services. Also provide you tools for create your own bussines

Here some links about IE.

Industrial engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IIE - The Global Association of Productivity and Efficiency Proffessionals (http://www.iienet2.org/Default.aspx)

SBfreak
24.01.10, 20:19
if you are smart you don't need to study,just learn like all big businesses men how to use poor and stupid people...
Well that's how things work but you still need to study in order to be a business man

Blocker
24.01.10, 20:23
Well that's how things work but you still need to study in order to be a business man

I agree you will have a wide vision and more tool to success !

kazuya
24.01.10, 21:37
zomg kazuya, you're talking fo real :confused2: :tongue: ??
you're living in CoD World i'm sure ^^

i prefer Pandorum world better :tongue:

hard to say lol what to study,depends also in what land you live and so what opportunity's that land have.lands like usa,japan,germany,canada... i would go for something with computers or management.good thing is also to go for dermatology,it's good payed and you can easily have your own Dermatology center,you work with laser's and such shit,make people more pretty(or ugly :biggrin: ),well you are your own boss and is good payed

grebetu
25.01.10, 17:34
I did my faculties years ago :)

Here's my thought - surgeon.
It ain't even comparable to your other choices, and will require more work and also it will be more rewarding. If you're lazy you can become something like a dentist it's not glorious but gets really good pay.

I would stay out of IT unless you plan to be consultant or something. Golden days of IT are over. Programming is worse of all. You can get big money, but not comparable to working hours. It's ok when you're young, you get good pay and you really don't care about working conditions. Not so after 20-30 years of sitting in some basement staring at monitor for 10h a day. If you think you can persuade management to give you better pay or working conditions they will more likely outsource your work to India or some other country for half a price.

But if I had my pick again, I would probably be a politician :)

cheatos
25.01.10, 17:53
thanks grebetu, I agree with you!

i think i found some light! :warn::sunny:
will be doing some research until the end next year :biggrin: , in the mean time i'll be: :digo: all day..

i'm not interested in politics at all :smile:

moar suggestionz! ...plz :biggrin:

Blocker
25.01.10, 20:45

LOL if you want to earn a lot of money : I suggest politician or drug dealer

Just kidding!

Mihai
27.01.10, 19:41
Cheatos even if you wanted you can't be a politician.You must be an idiot to have a chance:tongue:

cheatos
27.01.10, 19:47
Cheatos even if you wanted you can't be a politician.You must be an idiot to have a chance:tongue:

i agree 50% percent, and disagree 50%

its true some politicians are ~censored~, which i guess you meant you need to be an idiot to reach their level,

but on the other hand without the politicians help? you won't be living like you/me are now? right? ie. Maybe internal wars, discrimination, slavery lol, ...etc

ATLien
29.01.10, 00:30
i though of that, it seems a nice specialty but it requires extreme memorizing which i'm not good at, also i think going to the court is boring i think :frown:..

oh and not to forget if you didn't succeed in a court the family of your client may take revenge from lol .

thanks but
still lost...

Hey watch it!

I feel where you coming from, but I'm studying Law, but I have no intentions of doing anything with criminal crap.
Hopefully I will be an IP, Entertainment, or and lawyer that doesn't visit courtrooms on the regular. :top:

shadowww
29.01.10, 01:03
You might also consider a lenghth (in years) which some collage is usually finished in. As far as I know, medicine is one of the longest studies, there is so much specialization here which are not joke. You deal with people lives, especially surgeons, they bear great responsibilities and good surgeons improve themselves through whole life of their career. Its not something that you should start if you are not determinated and motivated enough. Then you just waste time and money.

Just, whatever you choose, make sure that you finish it. And that you have plenty of PATIENCE. Heh. Thats what they told me. And I quited my collage after 2 years, trying to find some job now. PATIENCE. :opa:

dreamer
05.02.10, 02:29
I am very worried since I can make interest in almost nothing in life, except for the stars, our sky, the universe..
but.... where's the money in that? :P

I will probably study astronomy I guess!

shawshankraj
17.04.10, 09:38
I am only 2 months away from my college graduation.. I am doing B.tech in electronics and communication field..

Evyatar
23.04.10, 19:37
I will study computers i think

delphi or somthing

cheatos
06.09.11, 06:51
*Cheatos used revive

So...
Decided by my school average, I can study "Computer Science", CS was on a list with lots of choices I made, I'm however not satisfied by this and I will pay more money to get Electrical Engineering :smile:

Sb Lover
06.09.11, 12:02
I am already in college ! you can't do anything about that :rolling_eyes:

anon
06.09.11, 18:43
you can't anything about that :rolling_eyes:

:unsure:

Sb Lover
06.09.11, 18:54
:unsure:
:tongue: Fix it

Gapo
06.09.11, 19:12
Who said you need to be in a court when you have a Law degree? You are most likely thinking of defence counsel.

sebota
07.09.11, 19:14
I have one advice for you, study something you LOVE because when everything goes wrong you will at least end up doing something you like, if you choose something else you will only be happy if you succeed, and you might not.

So you might ask: "whats the point if I didn't succeed in the one thing I love", well the point is that you are more likely to succeed in the one thing you love than something else adviced to you by family or firends, "more likely" not "100%" so you need to really love it ! You might find by chance something else that you have great passion for but thats your job to find.

Good luck !

kylexy
10.02.12, 17:18
im planning to study aviation and become a pilot , or if that fails then architecture

Hush
10.02.12, 20:12
some years ago i decided to study law(german) at a so called elite university. finished it a few years ago.

Makeawish
22.02.12, 03:47
I have one advice for you, study something you LOVE because when everything goes wrong you will at least end up doing something you like, if you choose something else you will only be happy if you succeed, and you might not.

So you might ask: "whats the point if I didn't succeed in the one thing I love", well the point is that you are more likely to succeed in the one thing you love than something else adviced to you by family or firends, "more likely" not "100%" so you need to really love it ! You might find by chance something else that you have great passion for but thats your job to find.

Good luck !

That's a good advice. But there are downsides too if you choose a job that you like so much that doesn't earn you a living. For example, photography might take up more money than you can think with so many gadgets that you need and neverending greed for them. Some jobs aren't meant to be jobs, but hobbies. I look at it at a different point sometimes. Ironically, I still think working what you like would be the best, but other people might not.