PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows a virus?

zipang
30.11.09, 22:29
No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1.They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.

2.Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as
they do so - okay, Windows does that.

3.Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay,
Windows does that too.

4.Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with
valuable programs and systems. - Sigh.. Windows does that, too.

5.Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too
slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. - Yup, Windows does
that, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental
differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running
on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and
they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

Blocker
01.12.09, 03:51
That's why I woud like to buy a Mac.......... or someday try again Linux!

Nobody
01.12.09, 04:03
All of these points are usually caused by people who don't know that operating systems require regular maintenance. A virus scan, spyware scan, a registry cleaner and a defrag would solve a great many of the issues you listed.

Linux requires an ungodly amount of nerd-cred to even boot up, and Mac's require the inverse. So until a third option arises that's reasonable, I'll still be using Windows...

SBfreak
01.12.09, 12:15
Linux requires an ungodly amount of nerd-cred to even boot up, and Mac's require the inverse. So until a third option arises that's reasonable, I'll still be using Windows...

Not really.Even if you are a complete noob you can still start a Linux distribution with friendly interface and play around.One you learn the terminal commands you will find out it's the best OS.

shadowww
01.12.09, 12:18
*snip*
Linux requires an ungodly amount of nerd-cred to even boot up
*snip*
In 1993 maybe.

Today it is much easier to boot up (live cd) Ubuntu then windows. Even installation is easy, and not to mention that after you installed ubuntu you are basically ready to work, where's that not case with a windows.

alpacino
01.12.09, 20:31
I remember back in the old days, when it was possible to burn out your monitor with incorrect refresh rates setup, if you messed up with settings. My first experience was with RedHat in '99 (I think), because I had to do a school project. Never touched linux since then. :tongue:

shadowww
01.12.09, 20:38
If you plan to try it go with Arch linux. It is miracle how good that works. And I've been using it for only few months.

Blocker
02.12.09, 04:13
All of these points are usually caused by people who don't know that operating systems require regular maintenance. A virus scan, spyware scan, a registry cleaner and a defrag would solve a great many of the issues you listed.

The points you wrote are just a part of the medicine of the virus LOL :tongue:

If you plan to try it go with Arch linux. It is miracle how good that works. And I've been using it for only few months.

Also Mandriva and Ubuntu are good distros!