PDA

View Full Version : Everything you need to know about USB 3.0

thecoolest
02.10.09, 10:54
What is USB 3.0?

Dubbed 'SuperSpeed USB', USB 3.0 represents the next generation of connectivity between computers and peripherals (digital cameras, portable media players, mobile phones, external hard drives, and so on). It replaces the current 'Hi-Speed' USB 2.0 standard.

As the USB-IF explains: "SuperSpeed USB brings significant performance enhancements to the ubiquitous USB standard, while remaining compatible with the billions of USB enabled devices currently deployed in the market. SuperSpeed USB will deliver 10x the data transfer rate of Hi-Speed USB, as well as improved power efficiency."

Just how fast is USB 3.0?

The new specification is rated 10 times faster than USB 2.0, which has a maximum transfer speed of 480Mbps.

In comparison, USB 3.0 has a theoretical peak throughput of 5Gbps. This means that USB 3.0 is capable of transferring a 25GB file in approximately 70 seconds.

If that doesn't warrant a shout of "whoosh!" then what does? In contrast, USB 2.0 would take around 14 minutes to perform the same task. And you'd be twiddling your thumbs for around 9 hours if you used USB 1.1.

This speed boost makes USB 3.0 ideal for the sort of large-scale file shunting we all do today, such as copying large images, MPEG-4 video clips, or making data backups to portable hard drives.

USB 3.0 isn't just fast, it's bi-directional

Unlike USB 2.0, where data can only be piped in one direction at a time, USB 3.0 features the ability to read/write data simultaneously.

This is achieved by adding four new connections to the old USB 2.0 connector – two for transmitting data and two for receiving data. This brings the total number of connections on a USB 3.0 connector to eight (compared to four for USB 2.0).

:top:

More info here - http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...usb-3-0-638185

anon
02.10.09, 11:48
Please use the QUOTE tag.

slikrapid
02.10.09, 15:24
The new specification is rated 10 times faster than USB 2.0, which has a maximum transfer speed of 480Mbps.

lets emphasize that the maximum speed is never reached, one would be lucky if he got half of it

If that doesn't warrant a shout of "whoosh!" then what does?

actually it doesn't since usb devices tend to have speed & connectivity (recognition of attached devices) problems, especially when using p2p so external usb drives are rarely a reliable file-sharing devices - hope the bi-directional design of usb 3.0 solves that

and ofc to use the new usb 3.0 devices one needs a motherboard or a controller that supports it

thecoolest
04.10.09, 12:39
true thing silkrapid...but as i think they soon make a new controller or software to make it run usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 via some port..coz usb 3.0 is diffrent port than usb 2.0 which is kinda more popular at this time...so anything will happen..but as i think future is going to be fast :top:

as u can see pic of usb3.0 here too..

anon
04.10.09, 15:03
they soon make a new controller or software to make it run usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 via some port..

Is that even possible if the device doesn't support USB 3.0?

thecoolest
04.10.09, 15:18
yup as i think so...they have to update alot softwares for it..

even need to being windows updated to work with usb 3.0

for old pc they maybe make convertor...not so sure...

anon
04.10.09, 15:20
yup as i think so...they have to update alot softwares for it..

Yes, but that's for software to support real USB 3.0 devices. I don't think it's possible to "convert" a 2.0 flashdrive, for example, to 3.0 with a "convertor", if it simply didn't support the new transfer rates when it was manufactured.

thecoolest
04.10.09, 15:28
true it wont work with convertor...if ppl r upgrade their motherboards they will get both ports usb2.0 & usb 3.0 so it will work with both usb ports..

its going to be happen soon..coz they thinking abt launching usb 3.0 soon to be possible..

anon
04.10.09, 15:29
Yes, but older devices won't take advantage of the USB 3.0 speeds, just like when if I plug a 1.1 device on a 2.0 port it'll still be slow.

thecoolest
04.10.09, 15:33
yup..thats true..thats why..i think they make some kinda convertor..in this way to help older usb ports & also make usb long living...:biggrin:

slikrapid
04.10.09, 19:50
yup..thats true..thats why..i think they make some kinda convertor..in this way to help older usb ports & also make usb long living...:biggrin:

afaik usb 3.0 ports are backward compatible, meaning you can plug older devices in and they will work, but with a maximum speed for usb 2.0 or less (limited by the device's specification, not the port's)

now it is questionable if new devices will work on older ports - if they do their speed will be limited with the older port's specification, meaning their true speed can be fully enjoyed only on new 3.0 ports

and as for the 'converter', imo it is a chip that adds usb3.0 functionality to your pc - it may come in a form of a pci card or smth else, to enhance older motherboards for those users who won't buy new ones

MoS
04.10.09, 22:01
480 Mb/s is a perfect transfer speed. i feel sick when i saw a flash memory transfer at 12 Mb/s , I even saw one transfering at 3 Mb/s.

Someone knows about eSATA ?

insane
04.10.09, 23:01
25gb file in 70 seconds sounds awesome!! :( have to get new mother board. I think im just going to wait till Apple starts using them in their laptops. I need a new laptop in 2 years, and im going to go all out on that one. SSD + DDR8 ram (if they have it by then) and USB 3.0 :D

thecoolest
05.10.09, 05:33
thats kinda silly to do..if u wanna work usb 3.0 at ur usb 2.0 port then as i think...but otherwise ppl have to upgrade their motherboard or ppl have to use convertors...

silkrapid

true maybe pci card thing works too not so sure..but anyhow ppl have to buy a convertor thats true

what u choose i think i get into the convertors anyhow..coz its going to be grt for me..motherboard upgrade is costly..also have little problem too

Aurion
08.10.09, 20:46
This is just awesome guys, I mean it will dramatically change the interface of data storage transfering devices which will make it less buzzing for users with large HDDs.

SBcheater
08.10.09, 21:17
In comparison, USB 3.0 has a theoretical peak throughput of 5Gbps. This means that USB 3.0 is capable of transferring a 25GB file in approximately 70 seconds.

That's incredible but we should bear in mind that the data storage you are transferring file to must also support this speed, for example transferring a file from USB 3.0 Flash drive to SATA HDD, where SATA only supports 1.5, 3.0, 6.0(SATA 3) Gbit/s The bottleneck still exist between USB 3.0 Devices and other storage media.

thecoolest
10.10.09, 09:01
true ovais...it means u can use new usb devices with older usb too..coz company find its way to make profit via usb convertors & also usb device convertor too :wink::top:

supergeek
19.07.10, 14:40
Does that mean I will have to upgrade my computer now (perhaps get a new motherboard that supports usb 3.0). I have been waiting for this usb 3 for a long time, always knew something like this would come out.