PDA

View Full Version : Increase Virtual Memory

kazuya
14.08.09, 11:47
When a computer is running low on RAM the system jumps to a portion of the hard drive and uses that section for virtual memory. A user can increase the virtual memory to make a computer think faster and here is how that is done

1.Note: The size of the paging file ( virtual memory) should be set at least at 1.5 x the regular computer RAM size. The amount of RAM can be found in all versions of Windows by going to system in the control panel and looking on the main window near the bottom. For example: If a system has 1GB of RAM the virtual memory should be set at 1.5 X 1000mb so the virtual memory should be set at 1500mb. Note 1000mb = 1GB.

2.To increase the virtual memory in Windows XP begin by following this map
start menu > control panel > system > advanced > settings > advanced tab.

Once the advanced window opens click on change at the bottom of the window. A new window will open up and this is where the user can change the size of the virtual memory.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9687/xpvirtualmemoryfull.jpg

3.To increase the virtual memory in Windows Vista begin by following this map
start menu > control panel > System and Maintenance > system > advanced system settings > advanced tab > settings (under performance)

Then click change at the bottom of this window to increase the virtual memory.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4687/148i.png

4.To increase the virtual memory in Windows 7 begin by following this map
start > control panel > system and security > advanced system settings (left) > click advanced tab > settings (under performance)

Then click the advanced tab again and then click change at the bottom of the window.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3083/windows7vmfull.jpg

anon
14.08.09, 14:57
I have 1.5GB of RAM and never saw the need for a paging file. For those of you that do, there's a registry tweak to avoid paging the kernel and therefore gaining speed.

kazuya
14.08.09, 16:51
I have 2 GB and didn't need it also,this is just for those that maybe need it and wanna try it out

Pickle
14.08.09, 22:46
You don't need a page file or virtual memory, even it doesn't react as fast as your RAM, it is a backup plan if your 2GB rams aren't enough for any kind of operation so it is totaly useless, if you increase that space, that would be waste of hard disk space.
thanks for the tutorial also.

alpacino
15.08.09, 06:58
Thanks for the tutorial, I have 2GB ram and never knew I didn't need it, really? Damn, I'm disabling it as soon as possible then. Windows might nag about lose of performance can occur, is that real or just crap? Thanks.

Pickle
15.08.09, 12:57
actual this file also needs to be defraged regularly so you dont need it and your system would never slow down

anon
15.08.09, 17:48
Damn, I'm disabling it as soon as possible then. Windows might nag about lose of performance can occur, is that real or just crap? Thanks.

Well, if you have 256MB of RAM, performance will be reduced :biggrin: I think that with your two gigabytes it's OK to disable it.

PageDefrag is an official tool to defragging it. :top:

thecoolest
20.09.09, 19:06
trust me..i use it...alot on my xp when i have 256mb..ram on that..its grt...just for gets its effect its gud to restart..u can see diffrence when u start ur windows..

it still works with vista..too thats gud to know..4 me too:d

v6ph1
20.09.09, 19:45
I think that with your two gigabytes it's OK to disable it.
Really?
I've 8GB and I wouldn't disable it, because I use sometimes the hole 8GB.

If you use it with a 32bit OS, you can set a fixed size - up to 4GB (with RAM and page file together)
With a 64bit OS you should give the page file enough space.

best regards
v6ph1

anon
20.09.09, 19:46
Really?
I've 8GB and I wouldn't disable it, because I use sometimes the hole 8GB.

I assumed he doesn't always use all available memory :biggrin:

I never do, either.