PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive weight increasing?

anon
09.08.09, 19:14
Apologies if this is the incorrect area for this question.

I've noticed that as I copy data/install programs on my Laptop, the weight of the Laptop increases. I have a bad back and am medically limited on the amount of weight I can carry so I need to be very carefull not to inflict injury upon myself.

I have also noticed my XBox feels heavier as well (the more games I save or purchase from arcade). I generally don't travel with my XBox so that is not an issue for me, but note the I am having the same results.

My ask, what is the weight/file ratio? So for example, how many GB's = 6oz? I dread the day I need a dolly to commute to work with my Laptop.

Thanks in advance!
- K

Source: Hard Drive weight increasing? (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/720108ee-0a9c-4090-b62d-bbd5cb1a7605)

CS Curse
09.08.09, 22:52
OMG, I do not want to meet a guy so stupid. Maybe it got heavier becuase of dust. But still that wouldn't be much.

SealLion
10.08.09, 00:05
This was one of the resonses:

The weight gain is not in the Xbox & Laptop, it is in *you* from all that junk food you are pigging out on while playing way too many games for way too many hours on your Xbox & Laptop. :)

Not only that, but I reccommend that if you haven't yet visited the site, here's something else on anon's link:

Check it out:

.......There has been cases of people left eMule activated 3 days and when that people returned to the computer,there was a hole in the floor instead.

aaahhh, .....eyah......ok...:biggrin:

oh, and yes...of course this one here:

It depends on the size of the gigabyte, if it's a bigger gigabyte it will weigh more (like a normal bite of your Mcdonalds) ...the bigger the byte the more energy (jiggawatts) it will consume and therefore weigh more. Using the formula w=g/j (weight = gigabytes/jiggawatts) you will see how much the weight will increase. Avoid .exe files as they are really heavy according to Christophé Toffy Brun in his 1908 memoirs...

LOL. That's great. Really, it is.

and then of course, the response to the above post was this:

Esteemed lanuletta:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. The fact is that the equation to which you refer (discovered in the XVIIII century, by Lineus Torvaldus) involves gigabytes AND giggawatts (as opposed to your "jiggawatts" which have been deprecated). The correct form is>
"weight of data equals gigabytes divided by giggawatts"
or
wD=g/g
Basic algebra shows that g/g=1, so
wD=1
Divide both sides by D...
w(D/D) = 1/D
thus eliminating (D/D) it renders.
w = 1/D
Which reads: "The weight is the inverse of the Data"

This is the formal mathematical proof that the more data you store, the LESS the computer weights.
If anything, this person should put his hamburger ON TOP of the laptop, to act as a paperwieght.

It's actually become a debate now!

oh, and yes. I think this is basically what CS Curse say's earlier:

How about being sincere with the guy, and just telling him: "K_McLovin, as your question is one of the stupidest questions existing, the fact that you thought of asking it results in you being EXTREMELY STUPID!

but I'm beginning to think that maybe the guy is an older fellow. Someone who is completely new to computers......maybe??

-

kelly
10.08.09, 05:07
LOL! :klatsch_3:

but I'm beginning to think that maybe the guy is an older fellow. Someone who is completely new to computers......maybe??

That could perhaps be possible.

Empoleon
10.08.09, 11:54
Surely the poster weas bored with himself, such dribble, humorous dribble though.

8a0vhx802
10.08.09, 18:57
Nice for a laugh after a hard day at work..LOL.