PDA

View Full Version : My Experience with WD HD media player

classyboy
03.08.09, 20:27
If you might have read one of my earlier posts, I had ordered for WD HD media player. It has finally arrived, and I am keen to share my experience with all. I could have posted an update on same thread, but felt a new thread was better.

- it's small, of the size of a set top box one may be using for cable.
- there is an HDMI out, as also digital audio out, in addition to the standard cables.

- Setting up took no more than 5 minutes. I connected it to my Yamaha 457 amplifier, and HDMI cable to Sony Bravia 32" LCD.

- Attached an old 80 GB external drive to it by a USB post. It took some 2 or 3 minutes to index the contents of the drive

- Tried FLAC files first, and believe me, they play AWESOME. Sound quality was flawless (meaning, no loss anywhere). Smooth, and uninterrupted transfer.

- Next, copied a video of madagascar2.mkv (some 4.3 GB), and saw it through HDMI. The quality was par excellence, just superb. I did not see a single jump, or a loss of quality, all through the 90+ minutes of the movie. The streaming was totally smooth. I did not halt even for a minute in between. For my 32" , it is the best quality I can expect.

- Tested one 1.4 GB Mission Impossible 3 movie file, and it too was good. There were no hitches.

- then tested some BRrips. most of them 1.8 GB or so, some 2.1 GB. All were superb, you can barely make out it is not HD.

So finally, I am going to settle for 1.8 GB or so BRRips. Only for animations, will I download 4.3 GB .mkv files.

- It can play .srt subs too. It can play .mkv, .x264, .flac and that matters to me since I listen mostly flac, and prefer .mkv movies, since they give good quality.

- I got it for 99$ during the 4th July sale.

Anyone who is a movie bufff, and who wants some quality, must surely go for this. It's much more worth than it's price.

Any more queries from anyone, please post, and I will surely let you know.

kostas13
18.08.09, 23:04
can we use usb flash drives as well or only HDDs?

chonk
10.10.09, 19:24
can we use usb flash drives as well or only HDDs?

yes, you can.