PDA

View Full Version : Gazelle or TBdev?

anon
17.07.09, 17:17
Title says it all... which tracker frontend do you like the most, and why? :tongue:

I like both, actually. I'm a bit more used to TBdev because it's the one most trackers run, but Gazelle has a slight edge because its layout is basically the same on all trackers, while TBdev ones often customize the Browse, Profile, etc. links to put them on different places or make them buttons, turning them harder to find, in my opinion. Also, What.cd pages load almost instantly when my connection is working fine. This must be because Gazelle has been designed to put as little CPU pressure as possible on the server (but its memcache requires a lot of RAM; there's a mod to disable it at ProjectGazelle.org, though).

So my vote goes to it :wink:

(For those that don't know: Gazelle and TBdev are the two most used tracker frontends. Most trackers use the latter or variants, while What.cd, TC.eu, ScR, ... use the former. You'll know through the layout :biggrin: Those aren't the only ones, though. If someone ever finds the same of TvT.com's frontend, please tell me!)

Mihai
17.07.09, 17:21
Gazelle sucks.TBDev is the best.I only like gazelle at what.cd

SBfreak
17.07.09, 17:25
I voted for gazelle too.The same reasons as anon mentioned.

cheatos
17.07.09, 17:41
i have tried both (yes installed on my testing server)

results:
TBdev: easy to customize, easy to install and the design is acceptable, no Ajax, many security holes, no admin frontend, no ant-cheating scripts (LOL at this, but if i am a tracker admin i will do my best to prevent cheating :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:) ..

Gazelle : harder to install and harder to customize , secure nearly 80% to sql injection/attacks etc, anti-cheating script built in XBTT, nice admin frontend, Ajax support, GREAT design, faster than tbdev and can handle more peers using the memcache ...

my vote goes to Gazelle..
:top:

anon
17.07.09, 17:44
no ant-cheating scripts (LOL at this, but if i am a tracker admin i will do my best to prevent cheating :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:) ..

I think no tracker frontend should include "default" scripts for security reasons. If the admin really cares about cheating, he'll code them, and a script coming installed with every frontend bundle should be easy to check and work around against.

Are you sure Gazelle has some? I flashed 10GB with the PMR at ScR - no problems.

cheatos
17.07.09, 17:53
I think no tracker frontend should include "default" scripts for security reasons. If the admin really cares about cheating, he'll code them, and a script coming installed with every frontend bundle should be easy to check and work around against.

Are you sure Gazelle has some? I flashed 10GB with the PMR at ScR - no problems.

yes by looking at the database structure of the modified XBTT that comes with Gazelle:

--
-- Table structure for table `cheater_log`
--

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `cheater_log`;
CREATE TABLE `cheater_log` (
`ID` int(5) NOT NULL auto_increment,
`Client` varchar(8) default NULL,
`User` int(10) default NULL,
`TorrentID` int(10) default NULL,
`Test` int(2) default NULL,
`Time` timestamp NOT NULL default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
`Peers` text,
`GroupID` int(10) default NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`ID`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

and also these lines are in the modified XBTT :top::

if (i != file.peers.end())
{
connectable = i->second.listening;
if (i->second.peer_id == v.m_peer_id
&& v.m_downloaded >= i->second.downloaded
&& v.m_uploaded >= i->second.uploaded)
{
downloaded = m_config.m_freetorrent && file.freetorrent ? 0 : v.m_downloaded - i->second.downloaded;
uploaded = v.m_uploaded - i->second.uploaded;
timespent = time() - i->second.mtime;
if ((downloaded || uploaded) && timespent)
{
upspeed = uploaded / timespent;
downspeed = downloaded / timespent;
if (m_config.m_cheater && upspeed > m_config.m_cheater_speed)
{
try
{
Csql_query q(m_database, "INSERT INTO xbt_cheat (uid, ipa, upspeed, uploaded, tstamp) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)");
q.p(user->uid);
q.p(ntohl(v.m_ipa));
q.p(upspeed);
q.p(v.m_uploaded);
q.p(time());
q.execute();

now this code is referring to a config file :klatsch_3::
which is the speed to see if the user or not:

m_cheater_speed = 26214400;

now as for ScR, either they could not compile [build] the modified XBTT and used the original XBTT or they disabled the anti-flash :stupid:
:top:

anon
17.07.09, 17:55

Sounds like TBdev's "Detect abnormal uploads" to me. :tongue:

cheatos
17.07.09, 17:59

Sounds like TBdev's "Detect abnormal uploads" to me. :tongue:

well your right but i mean that gazelle does have anti-flash script at least unlike tbdev which you need to write the code for it :top:

and yeah im sure what.cd wont release their 'better' anti-cheater scripts for us to evade them...

alpacino
17.07.09, 19:42
My vote goes to TBdev, simply because I feel comfortable when using it, its simplicity and aesthetic. Gazelle is too complicated imo and some trackers like ntorrents even use it wrongly (in my perception) as they group same game name releases (different region ntsc, pal) and sum their number of seeder and leechers giving the wrong impression about the torrent's health. I also heard it's a little difficult for people find good torrents to cheat at what.cd due to the sorting mechanisms available.

anonftw
18.07.09, 03:41
Well, I love gazelle because of the grouping and extensive SQL tabling options. It also seems to be a much "cleaner" codebase. These last 2 reasons usually cause it to put less strain on the server itself and allow for a faster and more efficent frontend. IMO, Gazelle is best for long-term collection type sites by default. (like music, movies, etc.) TBdev has lots of custom possibility but takes more effort to reference the database. So, for cheating and general/0-day trackers, I like TBdev.

anon
18.07.09, 18:28
Well, I love gazelle because of the grouping and extensive SQL tabling options. It also seems to be a much "cleaner" codebase. These last 2 reasons usually cause it to put less strain on the server itself

I remember reading somewhere that Gazelle only makes 2 database queries when accessing the What.cd forums, whereas their server would receive 10000(!) on the old TBdev install. :eek:

Perhaps the number didn't have so many zeros, but it still speaks well of Gazelle. Its memcache must need a lot of RAM, though.

Blocker
18.07.09, 18:36
I like TBDev is more customizable than gazelle

LIke PTN or ScL layout are fantastic! :top:

shawshankraj
18.07.09, 20:44
I like Tbdev more than Gazelle,so i wated for it..

Hellboy
19.07.09, 04:28
Gazelle is best for me,it also has more good looking themes so i voted it

maxim
29.01.11, 22:11
How i install TBdev and Gazelle in Cpanel

anon
29.01.11, 22:12
You may want to ask in the TBdev and Gazelle forums.

maxim
29.01.11, 22:16
TBdev and Gazelle forums link please

anon
29.01.11, 22:17
TBDEV.NET - Community forum (http://www.tbdev.net)
what.cd/gazelle

Suun
30.01.11, 00:39
TBDev all the way, Gazelle its just washed-out.

nintenpig
24.02.11, 08:52
I vote for Gazelle, looks like more "current gen".

mirrormask
24.02.11, 13:19
i understand that gazelle has a lot to offer to tracker staff, but the user experience leaves a lot to be desired when compared to tbdev.
if for example waffles were running on gazelle it most likely wouldn't exist anymore due to lack of interest.

supermarrioh
24.02.11, 14:09
Hm, i got Waffles but don't really use it.
What is just that incredible more comfortable to use...

anon
24.02.11, 16:40
if for example waffles were running on gazelle it most likely wouldn't exist anymore due to lack of interest.

Can hardly agree. I think the music tracker-oriented features in the Gazelle source would make Waffles awesome. Artist pages and suggestions were a blessing during my What days.

pimphead07
28.02.11, 07:16
Can hardly agree. I think the music tracker-oriented features in the Gazelle source would make Waffles awesome. Artist pages and suggestions were a blessing during my What days.

Gazelles layout is designed to support media files better. Like you mentioned, which makes it ideal front end for tv shows, movies, music trackers. TBDev imo is better suited for general trackers.

I voted for gazelle.

GymTanAndLaundry
09.05.11, 19:03
TBDev all the way. I don't like how gazelle feels.. it might be more powerful but the layout and general functionality of TBDev appeals to me more. Gazelle is like the Nintendo 3DS to the Nintendo DS... extra features which dont really mean shit!

buta
07.06.11, 17:15
All gazelle trackers other than what.cd are shitty. TBdev is really awesome

anon
07.06.11, 19:45
All gazelle trackers other than what.cd are shitty.

Gazelle seems to suit audiovisual media trackers better due to its features. I wouldn't call PassThePopcorn "shitty", for example.

JohnareyouOK
14.12.20, 12:47
How to view our ratio on specific torrent on Gazelle tracker? these statistics can be easily viewed on TBdev, UNIT3D or NexusPHP etc. Are these statistics accessible by ordinary members on stock Gazelle too?

anon
14.12.20, 18:39
Good question. The seeding and snatch lists don't show it. The peer list for a torrent will display how much upload you have gathered, but the information goes away after a while if you stop it.