PDA

View Full Version : Why Chrome OS Now? Because Microsoft Office In The Cloud Comes Monday.

anon
10.07.09, 19:12
The timing of Google's announcement of Chrome OS was curious. I don't mean the fact that Google moved up the post on it by a day when some details leaked out, I mean the fact that they were announcing it on some seemingly random date in July, well before anything is actually ready to show off. Now, we likely know why.

On Monday, Microsoft is set to unveil its plans to counter the attack Google previously had launched on it with Google Docs. Yes, Microsoft Office is going to the cloud. This is something which we all knew was eventually coming, and there is already some limited functionality, but the full details will pour out Monday at Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference in New Orleans. You can expect the new version of Office, that syncs with the cloud, and the ability to use it in the cloud without any software as well.

Why Chrome OS Now? Because Microsoft Office In The Cloud Comes Monday. (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/09/why-chrome-os-now-because-microsoft-office-in-the-cloud-comes-monday/)

SomeGuy
10.07.09, 20:59
I don't know whether I am ready to trust not using a local program and let my data be on the cloud, and I certainly don't know which one is the lesser evil to trust with my personal data: MS or Google, but I think that competition is always good for us consumers and is a kind of a kick in the butt to encourage those companies and others to innovate.