PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft set to respond to Google OS next Monday?

anon
08.07.09, 19:38
Blogger Robert Scoble has posted a message on his FriendFeed account, hinting at a Microsoft announcement next Monday, related to Google's OS.

In the posting, Scoble notes "why did Google announce Chrome OS this week? Well, of course, Microsoft has a big announcement coming on Monday (I'm embargoed)". Neowin confirmed last week that Microsoft will announce that Windows 7 has hit RTM on Monday at the Worldwide Partner Conference that is taking place in New Orleans. Could Scoble be confirming this too or hinting at Microsoft's forthcoming Gazelle browser? Blogger Imran Hussain thinks it could be Gazelle too. Long Zheng thinks it could be Office Web.

Microsoft set to respond to Google OS next Monday? (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/07/08/microsoft-set-to-respond-to-google-os-next-monday)

SBfreak
08.07.09, 19:50
Google OS?

Ohh wait...Wtf a chrome based operating sytem from Google!!!

Microsoft has been developing "Gazelle" as an alternative to Internet Explorer.

That's something I didn't know.

anon
08.07.09, 20:00
http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?threadid=13899

It's going to be Linux-based and netbook-oriented, it seems.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

That's something I didn't know.

I have posted it some time ago :tongue:

SBfreak
08.07.09, 20:27
Is there any beta or something? I couldn't find anything.

anon
08.07.09, 20:28
Patience, my friend... as far as I know, they're both upcoming. :tongue:

Kyllyee
08.07.09, 20:47
I can't wait to see how this situation unfolds. Microsoft ( and Apple ) are now competing in a world where open-source is becoming a norm as people want to know what they will be using and also because it allows for endless improvements. I hope Microsoft goes open-source with Win7 or their new browser...lol, though I doubt it.

SealLion
09.07.09, 04:34
......, though I doubt it.

oh, man. You can bank on it. They'll never go open source. Too much of a revenue loss.

A revenue loss they'll never know how to handle or deal with.

MS wants to maintain it's market share in the world.

Kyllyee
09.07.09, 04:41
oh, man. You can bank on it. They'll never go open source. Too much of a revenue loss.

A revenue loss they'll never know how to handle or deal with.

MS wants to maintain it's market share in the world.

True, but with more products going open source that offer the same features, there is going to be some loss, I think, over time. Obviously not as much of a loss if the did decide to release windows to the public.
Oh well, I just can't wait to see how they plan to compete with Google.

anon
09.07.09, 17:55

Maybe they plan to make Gazelle open-source and see what happens. Firefox is "stealing" every time more market share from IE, and one of the reasons is that being Free makes it extremely extensible, apart from not relying on security through obscurity.

slikrapid
10.07.09, 01:00
Firefox is "stealing" every time more market share from IE, and one of the reasons is that being Free makes it extremely extensible, apart from not relying on security through obscurity.

IE is also free but security through obscurity ie. being non open source makes M$ products less appealing, therefore firefox has many extensions & a greater following (provided of course that it has just about the same functionality as IE)

we'll see about that - almost nothing can beat the free concept, it will take time though

as long as software is kept open source there is lower probability of privacy problems or code abuse, since anyone can inspect it and report anomalies - a major user benefit - imagine for example a linux OS as easy to use as windows --> payable windows FAIL :wink:

anon
10.07.09, 01:03
IE is also free but security through obscurity ie. being non open source makes M$ products less appealing, therefore firefox has many extensions & a greater following (provided of course that it has just about the same functionality as IE)

IE is "free". Firefox is "Free", i.e. open-source. :tongue: