PDA

View Full Version : WD HD media player

classyboy
21.06.09, 07:08
In relation to my other thread, where I had asked for x264 movies (BRRips) or .mkv, here's the reason I am looking forward to.

We can always watch movies on the PC, no problem. But if you want to layback and watch on your bigger television screen, or LCD screen, with a 5.1 output, how to do it. One option was to connect PC with cables to TV and amplifier. But that was too clumsy.

I found this other option recently (many of you may be knowing it).
WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 ) (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572)

This media player is relatively cheap (presently some 129$ or so). I have asked some relative to procure it during the 4th July sale (US), when it might be a little cheap.

The advantage is it supports x264 and .mkv, which is a big advantage. No other hardware player supports that. All standalone DVD players nowadays support xvid, Divx etc, but not yet .mkv

Once I use it, will give my review how it is. Though will be a month before I set my hands on it.
Does anyone here use it? Please let us know your opinions

@mods:
I am sorry, after posting this, I realised, this is not the appropriate subforum for this thread, so please move it to the proper sub forum. I am sorry for the mistake

alpacino
21.06.09, 08:45
Seems to be a nice piece of equipment. Wish I could lay my hands on one of those. Connecting a PC to TV could clumsy sometimes indeed, specially if your PC is away from TV or you don't have a notebook or something.

coolio256
21.06.09, 13:58
I watch films with HDMI cable with my laptop and its top:top:

shoulder
21.06.09, 14:02
~ Moved :wink2:

Grambo
21.06.09, 21:01
I think the Popcorn Hour media player must be the best one.
It can play everything and it's regularly updated with new firmware.
Sometimes for support of more filetypes
There are different models. From the same price and up

I have one and it plays everything i have found on the net.

It can handle torrent dls too.

Nobody
21.06.09, 23:41
I've got a WD media player. It's awesome.

It is also updated regularly with new firmware. Some custom firmware exists for it as well.

sephirot
21.06.09, 23:41
WDHD can't decode DTS - so you'll need a receiver if you want dts sound

classyboy
22.06.09, 03:18
I think the Popcorn Hour media player must be the best one.
It can play everything and it's regularly updated with new firmware.
Sometimes for support of more filetypes
There are different models. From the same price and up

I have one and it plays everything i have found on the net.

Thanks. I was not aware of this. I saw the homepage, and feel it's also a good one. I have already ordered WD, so I will use WDHD. As for DTS, well, I will manage that

Popcorn Hour digital media:
Welcome To Popcorn Hour (http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=productspec&item_id=12)

Nobody
22.06.09, 03:59
WDHD can't decode DTS - so you'll need a receiver if you want dts sound

That's supposedly coming with version two of the player announced to be released this autumn. If you've got a half decent sound system this isn't much of an issue though. And you probably need a decent sound system to be able to fully enjoy DTS anyway.

But having the option is nice.

hontoCorti
22.06.09, 10:49
With custom firmware it is also possible to use the WDHD as lan streaming client... (Access to Windows shares, SMB/NFS)

Just read a nice tutorial about it. If anybody needs it, i'll look if i can find it.

Anyway, i use it with a usb stick and think it is quite confortable already;)

Also WD releases firmware updates quite regularly i think.