PDA

View Full Version : All violent video games to be banned in Germany

anon
20.06.09, 20:32
German ministers have today agreed to ban the production and distribution of all violent video games, with the law only having to go through parliament in the next few weeks.

According to german website Chip Online and supported by Spiegel Online, ministers of the interior of all sixteen German federal states came together for a conference today in Bremerhaven where they agreed to forbid the production and distribution of all video games "where the main part is to realistically play the killing of people or other cruel or unhuman acts of violence against humans or manlike characters."

The country has been infamously hard on violent video games before now, but an outright ban would result in a huge loss for the video games industry in one of its most successful European countries.

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/xbox360/all-violent-video-games-be-banned-in-germany-$1301757.htm

shoulder
20.06.09, 21:14
Finally.

Now we have a peaceful Germany, nobody will ever be violated again in Germany, only in other countries where does terrible killer simulations are still allowed.

Really, after the "Stopp" action the next big shit. :rolleyes:
This is what I call a big FAIL and a big shame for my country.

slikrapid
20.06.09, 23:02
they agreed to forbid the production and distribution of all video games "where the main part is to realistically play the killing of people or other cruel or unhuman acts of violence against humans or manlike characters."
ROFLMAO
looks like germans will be playing only kid-games & Sims, i'm terrified to imagine how that affects the adult psyche :shockkk!:

This is what I call a big FAIL and a big shame for my country.

...you gotta fight...for your right...to play violent games :wink:

quiz: name the song which used similar lyrics :biggrin:

anon
21.06.09, 00:24
I find the ban reason to be bullshit too. If you can't separate fantasy from reality and let a video game influenciate your real life, there's something wrong with you on the first place.

Of course this kind of games will continue to be played, but the ban shouldn't be there to begin with.

anonftw
21.06.09, 00:29
I believe such games actually relieve suppressed aggression. This is true for me at least.

splicer
21.06.09, 00:36
If they are worried about kids copying things they see in violent games, then surely the same must be true for non violent games.

anon
21.06.09, 00:37
Or movies... or books... you get the idea.

slikrapid
21.06.09, 01:01
then surely the same must be true for non violent games.

you're right, no more Sims either :wink:

i remember reading about some german publishers? that refused to distribute violent games that had red blood in them, and the authors had to change their game(s) so that it showed green blood instead - and that was ok then :rolleyes:

anon
21.06.09, 01:02
i remember reading about some german publishers? that refused to distribute violent games that had red blood in them, and the authors had to change their game(s) so that it showed green blood instead - and that was ok then :rolleyes:

I think I have heard about that, too. :eek13:

alpacino
21.06.09, 04:58
I believe such games actually relieve suppressed aggression. This is true for me at least. +1
I think the very same way. Videgames can be therapeutic sometimes (no jokes).
Censoring is big fail I guess, this won't stop some folks from downloading these games you know. Will they be coherent and censor books, films and TV too? Cause there can be worse things on those mediums compared to video-games.

slikrapid
21.06.09, 22:27
even though this looks like a tough blow on human rights, there should still be a chance to reverse it - all it takes is a referendum in which there should be two crucial points:

1. video games as an art form should be treated equally as other art forms (like literature, audiovisual media,...): YES/NO

2. should art forms not owned/produced by the government be censored by the government or other institutions before they reach adult audience: YES/NO

afaik such referendum results would be quite clear and obligatory for the government to implement - i see this as a last democratic step if all other means (human rights & co. efforts) fail

Dynamic
22.06.09, 03:46
I believe that the games/books/music is being blamed for the violence is a big cover up for bad parenting.

I can't tell you how many kids I know become bad because they do not have good role models while they were growing up.

slikrapid
22.06.09, 19:59
bad parenting. ...you how many kids I know become bad because they do not have good role models while they were growing up.

not to forget the education & social surrounding influence & values

there are also other more hidden forces at work...many of these incidents are used as cover-ups for hidden agendas, so one has to be careful when forming an opinion

Hellboy
22.06.09, 20:53
Even if they have banned all violent games in there country but they cant stop the people from downloading Pirated games.In other sence,they can't stop people from playing those games.i think movies show more violence than games.:mad2:

slikrapid
22.06.09, 21:46
Even if they have banned all violent games in there country but they cant stop the people from downloading Pirated games.

yes, they cannot stop people that know how to find these games

but, its a matter of principle, when looking at the bigger picture, one's country laws should be reasonable and up to date with current social/technological/... situation, which would avoid implementing such nonsense propositions like violent games ban, and users would have the privilege to 'live' on the right side of the law :top:

kazuya
22.06.09, 21:55
This is relay silly from German ministers.i think kids will now start to migrate :)